How do you think Giants Secondary is?

JStar221

Just wondering.

I loved loved loved the McKinney pick. I feel he and Peppers is an ok tandem at safety. Frankly, I think McKinney is stud. 

I feel Bradberry is a good CB. I feel that Baker can be a good #2 corner. 

Between Beal, Ballentine, Love, and new pick Darnay Holmes-- this might not be too bad of secondary, right? , 

10 minutes ago, JStar221 said:

Just wondering.

I loved loved loved the McKinney pick. I feel he and Peppers is an ok tandem at safety. Frankly, I think McKinney is stud. 

I feel Bradberry is a good CB. I feel that Baker can be a good #2 corner. 

Between Beal, Ballentine, Love, and new pick Darnay Holmes-- this might not be too bad of secondary, right? , 

Well, I guess you didn’t see the Baker news...

Lots of question marks, and a lack of a pass rush does not help.

25 minutes ago, JStar221 said:

Ohh crap I didn't see it! Damn!!! Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Timing is everything lol. Giants have lot of young players. It only takes one to turn a secondary around. If none do it, we are in the same position next year.

Holmes is going to be an elite slot CB. Can Love play the boundary though? If not, can Beal/Ballentine improve on what were subpar seasons? Ballentine got better as the season wore on so I think he could be a decent #2. With this Baker news however, we could be looking to draft another corner early next year. 

4 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Holmes is going to be an elite slot CB. Can Love play the boundary though? If not, can Beal/Ballentine improve on what were subpar seasons? Ballentine got better as the season wore on so I think he could be a decent #2. With this Baker news however, we could be looking to draft another corner early next year. 

Ballentine not good in slot. Should be decent on boundary. 

The Giants could have sat on their hands and blamed youth for their struggles last year, but they were quite pro-active in the offseason. 

• Bradberry is a major upgrade and a legit #1 in this league with experience against some of the best receivers in the league. 
  • McKinney is an instant upgrade over Bethea at FS.  I don't care that he's a rookie.
  • Holmes will split time in the slot with Love and he'll probably be in that role full time by the end of the year.

That's three new guys that are going to be getting a lot of playing time.  Peppers will be back at SS.  The other starting corner spot was going to be Baker's, but now Beal and Ballentine will fight it out unless Baker gets his charges dropped.  I'll be honest, I was really hoping a change to a man coverage scheme would benefit Baker.  We might never know.

• Like 1

Currently, not great. I've heard many jokes about DeAndre Baker practicing social distancing "even before the quarantine," referring to his coverage abilities last season. Now his ability to contribute to the team is in question, even if the robbery charges are dropped. The Giants are fairly deep at corner, but Bradberry is the only guy I trust back there. (Beal can't stay healthy and Ballentine hasn't looked like anything special yet.) They might be better off importing a veteran free agent to compete for Baker's spot. 

Fortunately they addressed the secondary in the draft. I think McKinney and Holmes were both excellent picks who can help them a lot in the next few years.

Our secondary is about the same as the other position groups on our team: lots of unproven potential. It is one of the stronger position groups we have though, thanks to the veteran presence of Bradberry; everyone knows what kind of player Bradberry is and what you get with him. He's a rock solid corner.

Peppers is a veteran at this point, but he's still got a ton of potential. At worst, he's an athletic, high motor guy. At best, he's a gamechanger. He's shown flashes of his playmaking ability (that Dalvin Cook forced fumble last year), and his ability to really play well down in the box. I think he's a solid piece as well most likely, with the potential to be really, really good. 

I think Mckinney has a chance to be the best player in the secondary from day 1. I can't overstate how much he did and at how high a level at Alabama. He's got fantastic processing ability and obviously has a super high football IQ, based on how much Saban trusted him with, and he's another high motor guy. I think he can have an Eddie Jackson like impact in his first season. 

That's 3 quality players starting in the secondary. Then we get into the 'potential': Love, Baker, Ballentine, Beal, Williamson, Askew-Henry, and Holmes.

I think Love has the lowest ceiling, but highest floor of any of these guys. He already played well last year in a brand new position. I think he's going to see a lot of snaps as the 3rd safety/slot corner and I think he will perform well. That's a great spot for him. Baker I have little hope for. Maybe this arrest was actually a wake up call, but I'll believe it when I see it. He is very talented, but has shown little work ethic that is necessary to be a good player. Ballentine may have a niche as a returner. I had hope for him in the preseason, but he didn't show anything in the regular season. Still, I can't be too down on a talented player like him when they were making the transition to the NFL at the 2nd hardest position to play from a D2 school. Low, low floor for him, but lots of potential. Beal I've given up on due to injury history. The guy is never going to stay healthy. Williamson and Askew-Henry are JAGs. Maybe they contribute on specials. Holmes is special though. His tape from his last year in college is really not good, but apparently he was playing through a really nagging injury. Besides that, he's everything you look for. Supremely athletically talented, tremendous work ethic, and very smart. I think once he gains the starting slot corner job, he won't let it go.

I think our secondary will be sneakily good this year. I also think our defense as a whole will improve, and it will mainly be due to Graham and the secondary.

• Like 1

I want to elaborate even more on Holmes, just because he is so impressive.

Work ethic and desire are factors that, as fans, we aren't privy too with prospects. We have to go just by what coaches and scouts say most of the time. It's a shame, because those two are so important when it comes to becoming a great NFL player. One thing I've come to learn is that a lot of guys are totally comfortable with their legacy being great college players. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that; college football is a super high level to reach, and that is the goal of a lot of players. I think it is partly why a lot of college studs don't pay out in the NFL. You really have to shift it to the next gear to be successful in the NFL. Lots of guys are able to get by on just superior athleticism in college, but you can't in the NFL, because everyone is super athletic. You have to be both super athletic and have the drive and desire to be great to really be great in the NFL.

Darnay Holmes is really a fantastic example of this, and he spoke about this very topic (much more eloquently than I have here) in his player's tribune article. His goal was not to be a great college player, or to just make it to the NFL. His goal for a while has been to be a great NFL player. He went to UCLA not because it was his dream to be a CB for the Bruins, but because it was the closest school to his mom. He busted his butt to graduate in 2.5 years so he could get to the NFL sooner. Right now, he is actively working towards becoming a great NFL player, and he's doing that by working on even the little things. Not only is he putting in work with workouts, he's building a brand and even hired a chess trainer that works with guys like Deshaun Watson to work on strategy. This chess trainer, Seth Makowsky, works with a bunch of big name QBs, and a 4th round rookie CB, who wants to think like a QB.

If you watched the combine drills this year (it's ok, I didn't either), there was an interesting comment Deion Sanders made during the CB drills. "The best guy I've seen thus far has been Darnay Holmes. He looked flawless, unbelievable". Primetime knows how an NFL CB is supposed to look. Holmes was the #1 CB recruit in the nation out of high school. He's got all the physical tools. He's also got the mental makeup to succeed. He's just a super impressive guy and I really think he is going to succeed in this league in a big way. I think he works too hard and has too much talent to fail.