AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

53 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

One thing I've always admired about the Seahawks under Schneider and Carroll is their willingness to actively try to better their team by not overvaluing draft picks.

Yeah They trust that whatever picks they have, their scouting department will find the right guy.

Wonder what kinda long term effect this has on the Texans... with that kinda response from ownership to the players... the spokesperson for the team... wonder if it'll affect FAs this coming offseason.  I know money talks, but some players may choose to take a harder stance... maybe take a little less from other teams?  

Maybe they were thinking of trading him prior to all this, but there were not even any rumors suggesting that.  If there was unrest in Houston before this, I can only imagine it will add fuel to the fire.  

2 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Wonder what kinda long term effect this has on the Texans... with that kinda response from ownership to the players... the spokesperson for the team... wonder if it'll affect FAs this coming offseason.  I know money talks, but some players may choose to take a harder stance... maybe take a little less from other teams?  

Maybe they were thinking of trading him prior to all this, but there were not even any rumors suggesting that.  If there was unrest in Houston before this, I can only imagine it will add fuel to the fire.  

If Watson keeps playing like he has and if they have a decent finish to the year, then I could see players going there. They seem to follow where the QBs are...and money. But the Texans aren't the richest team at the moment either.

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

If Watson keeps playing like he has and if they have a decent finish to the year, then I could see players going there. They seem to follow where the QBs are...and money. But the Texans aren't the richest team at the moment either.

They haven't come here yet though.  Ryan is the "biggest" FA find we've had the past few seasons... 

It seems we have the QB (or do players feel we don't?)...But we definitely have a perceived uncertainty in the ownership... maybe affecting coaching decisions and such... so it seems to be overshadowing the QB situation... at least up until now.  

Houston is a bigger market so it's slightly more attractive... it's also an income tax free state... have a seemingly enticing young QB place... but now have the uncertainty that exists between the locker room and the FO.  

It's definitely something to watch... 

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

They haven't come here yet though.  Ryan is the "biggest" FA find we've had the past few seasons... 

It seems we have the QB (or do players feel we don't?)...But we definitely have a perceived uncertainty in the ownership... maybe affecting coaching decisions and such... so it seems to be overshadowing the QB situation... at least up until now.  

Houston is a bigger market so it's slightly more attractive... it's also an income tax free state... have a seemingly enticing young QB place... but now have the uncertainty that exists between the locker room and the FO.  

It's definitely something to watch... 

I think "players won't go X or Y" is pretty ridiculous. They'll go where they get paid. Bouye would have come here, but the Jags offered him more than we did. Jags certainly weren't perceived as a better situation than us, Bouye just wanted the best deal. He's concerned about money and only about money. Sure, there's a small percentage of players, most of whom are vets who have already made a ton, that care more about winning, but those are few and far between. Offer an FA the most money and 9 times out of 10 he's going to come there.

This FO in particular isn't interested in winning in free agency, they believe in the draft. Logan Ryan-esque FA will probably be the biggest type of FA we ever sign, because almost everyone is going to outbid us for the top tier FAs, and so long as we keep drafting at a successful rate, that'll work out.

21 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I think "players won't go X or Y" is pretty ridiculous.

Like I said... we'll see. 

So much has been made this season about players standing up for what they believe in.  I can't honestly believe that a player like Sherman, Bennett, even Kaepernick (if given a choice) would choose Houston if another team came near offering the same amount of potential income?  Maybe I'm putting too much stock in the state of our society right now... and how much these players really care about these issues.  But this season has been much more divisive than any I've lived through... 

I'm also not naive, and I don't think players will play for significantly less than top absolute value... but I do think most players consider other factors outside of top dollar contract (taxes, marketing opportunities, and other misc income/financial opportunities are included as "other" factors).