AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

Robiskie's problem was never run/pass splits, the stats clearly show that's incorrect. The issue is when he called runs/passes, and what those runs/passes were.

There's no reason to make up problems where they don't exist for Robiskie, there's plenty of accurate things to criticize him for without having to add made up **** to that list.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

He called 10% more running plays on first and second down than passing plays, so the claims aren't unfounded.

I don't know how that compares to the rest of the league.

Again, that's just simply not true. The easiest way yo figure what the calls were is going to player splits... ESPN has a good splits page. 

Tally up Mariota and Cassel's attempts on 1st and 2nd downs... And tally up Henry and Murray's carries on 1st and 2nd, and you'll see the 50:50 split.

It is what it is. Thats how I tallied the numbers... Just very simplisticly without using any bias, opinion, or unquantifiable perspective.

I was very surprised at the 3rd down split. Figured it'd be closer to 65:35... So 84:16 was definitely shocking (but not completely off what other teams do, when comparing at least to the Rams and Jags).

3 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Again, that's just simply not true. The easiest way yo figure what the calls were is going to player splits... ESPN has a good splits page. 

Tally up Mariota and Cassel's attempts on 1st and 2nd downs... And tally up Henry and Murray's carries on 1st and 2nd, and you'll see the 50:50 split.

It is what it is. Thats how I tallied the numbers... Just very simplisticly without using any bias, opinion, or unquantifiable perspective.

I was very surprised at the 3rd down split. Figured it'd be closer to 65:35... So 84:16 was definitely shocking (but not completely off what other teams do, when comparing at least to the Rams and Jags).

It wasn't bias or perspective, I initially left out sacks, making it 45:55, but here are the numbers with sacks counting as passes.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/2017_splits.htm

Go to splits by down.

The easiest way to figure it is to go by team splits. We had 226 first down rushing plays and 175 second down rushing plays (401). We had 213 first down passing plays and 148 second down passing plays (361).

401 + 361= 762

401/762 =  52.6%

52.6% of our first and second down plays were rushing plays. 47.4% passing plays. With sacks included its a 4.5% difference instead of ~10%.

3rd down split is 35:167 or 82.6% pass plays. (167/202).

That may be in line with the rest of the NFL. For comparisons sake, the Rams rushed on 55% of first down plays,  and 46% of 2nd down plays. 51.2% of first and second down combined.

Looks like we're a slightly higher 1st and 2nd rushing percentage than them, not enough to worry about, but I think the big difference is they were doing it with Todd Gurley to the tune of 4.7 YPC. We were doing it with DeMarco Murray to the tune of 3.6 YPC. They had a reason to do it, it was working, but for us... Not so much. Ended up with a lot of third and longs as evidenced by the 82.6% 3rd down passing percentage.

Edited by TitanSS

11 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I initially left out sacks, making it 45:55, but here are the numbers with sacks counting as passes.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/2017_splits.htm

Go to splits by down.

The easiest way to figure it is to go by team splits. We had 226 first down rushing plays and 175 second down rushing plays (401). We had 213 first down passing plays and 148 second down passing plays (361).

401 + 361= 762

401/762 =  52.6%

52.6% of our first and second down plays were rushing plays. 47.4% passing plays. With sacks included its a 4.5% difference instead of ~10%.

3rd down split is 35:167 or  ~82.6% pass plays. (167/202).

That may be in line with the rest of the NFL. For comparisons sake, the Rams rushed on 55% of first down plays,  and 46% of 2nd down plays. 51.2% of first and second down combined.

Looks like we're slightly higher than them, but I think the big difference is they were doing it with Todd Gurley to the tune of 4.7 YPC. We were doing it eith DeMarco Murray to the tune of 3.6 YPC. They had a reason to do it, it was working, but for us... Not so much. Ended up with a lot of third and longs as evidenced by the 82.6% 3rd down passing percentage.

I was initially looking at their (PFR's) stats, since they're usually my go to... But there were inaccuracies in their stats. Just a quick example, Henry had 176 carries for the season... But in their splits, they have him at 99/65/21/3... A total of 188. Thats when I went with ESPN. 

I also didn't count Mariotas rushes since I honestly dont know what percentage if his runs were designed or scrambles.

Accounting for those 2 discrepancies makes up the difference... Leaving us at a close to 50:50 run pass ratio... Not the 55:45...

Edit: In a stat that completely surprised me, Murray averaged 4.3 ypc on 1st down...

Edited by ragevsuall17

20 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I was initially looking at their (PFR's) stats, since they're usually my go to... But there were inaccuracies in their stats. Just a quick example, Henry had 176 carries for the season... But in their splits, they have him at 99/65/21/3... A total of 188. Thats when I went with ESPN. 

I also didn't count Mariotas rushes since I honestly dont know what percentage if his runs were designed or scrambles.

Accounting for those 2 discrepancies makes up the difference... Leaving us at a close to 50:50 run pass ratio... Not the 55:45...

Edit: In a stat that completely surprised me, Murray averaged 4.3 ypc on 1st down...

The 55:45 was just an error omitting sacks. Their down splits line up with the little info you can get off nfl.com, I didn't check individual player splits. 52.6:47.4 without removing Mariota is still close enough to consider it balanced. The issue was the results.

That stat shouldn't surprise you too  much. His 75 yard carry was on first down. That one carry in one game accounted for over 11% of his 2017 yards. Remove the outliar and hes down to below 3.2 YPC on the season. I'm sure that significantly drops his first down YPC as well.

Remove Gurleys longest carry and hes still at 4.5.

Henry goes from 4.2 to 3.8.

Edited by TitanSS

Man, the Comeback is the single most emotionally crushing sports related event... and probably top 5 overall in my life (I've had a pretty decent/easy life, what can I say).

But F...orget Reich!!! Its been 25 years... Its time for payback!! I want us to sweep him for his career. No mercy, no surrender!!

This is a pretty good move for the Colts though. They still have a ton of holes on the roster, and have a long way to go especially if Luck's injury is as bad as it seems sometimes. He's a way better option for them than McDaniels woulda been.

I'm not really too worried about the hire. Andrew Luck is going to be good no matter who is the HC so hopefully the defense still lacks.

Them hiring Ballard as GM last year is bigger for their success than this hire. Poor Pagano. Stuck with their last GM, anyone would fail in that situation. Similar to the Browns job. Idk if their owner interferes or what, but they are awful on draft day.

On 2/11/2018 at 2:39 PM, ragevsuall17 said:

Man, the Comeback is the single most emotionally crushing sports related event... and probably top 5 overall in my life (I've had a pretty decent/easy life, what can I say).

Couldn't agree more.  I don't think I will ever enjoy a win over the Colts as long as he's the HC.  I'll just sit on the edge of my seat nervously waiting for something to go wrong no matter how big our lead is.

5 hours ago, titanrick said:

Couldn't agree more.  I don't think I will ever enjoy a win over the Colts as long as he's the HC.  I'll just sit on the edge of my seat nervously waiting for something to go wrong no matter how big our lead is.

On 2/12/2018 at 5:39 AM, ragevsuall17 said:

But F...orget Reich!!! Its been 25 years... Its time for payback!! I want us to sweep him for his career. No mercy, no surrender!!

This is a pretty good move for the Colts though. They still have a ton of holes on the roster, and have a long way to go especially if Luck's injury is as bad as it seems sometimes. He's a way better option for them than McDaniels woulda been.

The Comeback? Why do old people not like Reich?