Fruits or Veggies?

Fruits or Veggies?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Fruits
    • Veggies

17 hours ago, theJ said:

Has anyone found a good use for it beyond pies and ice cream?

Not that it's not great in pie.  It creates my favorite pie - strawberry rhubarb.  But i've never seen it used anywhere else.

I had a strawberry rhubarb berry wine once.

but the answer is still no.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 4:57 AM, theJ said:

Not that it's not great in pie.  It creates my favorite pie - strawberry rhubarb.  But i've never seen it used anywhere else.

I’ve had them dried, like fruit leathers. They were  pretty good and I’m pretty sure they were strawberry flavored lol.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 6:55 AM, theJ said:

They come from lots of places.  I have a peach tree growing in my front yard, and i do not live in Georgia.  Far from it.

The best peaches come from South Carolina anyway.

On 5/19/2020 at 6:57 AM, theJ said:

That's my point.  We tend to classify fruits/veggies with how they're used, not what they are botanically, because otherwise eggplants, peppers, tomatoes, and a bunch of other things are berries.

Rhubarb is a veggie botanically, but for how you use it, it's a fruit.  It's the only one I can think of that goes the opposite way of tomatoes, but still.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 9:11 PM, theJ said:

Yeah that's the really only one I've done too. The others seem too small to put on the grill. Maybe melons?

I suppose you could try strawberries if they were kabobed. 

Roommates ex-gf worked at Texas Roadhouse and she used to bring me home some kind of brown/crystallized sugar mixture they put on god knows what.  I would mix that into some butter and slather apple slices in it before throwing it on the grill.  Highly recommend grilled apples.

Edited by ravens_rool28

On 20/05/2020 at 9:21 AM, Daniel said:

That's my point.  We tend to classify fruits/veggies with how they're used, not what they are botanically, because otherwise eggplants, peppers, tomatoes, and a bunch of other things are berries.

Rhubarb is a veggie botanically, but for how you use it, it's a fruit.  It's the only one I can think of that goes the opposite way of tomatoes, but still.

It's such a dumb point though.  Because all the good things are still fruits.

Plus...Like, Black Pepper?  That's a berry.  Kiss that goodbye Vegetable lovers.  That's a fruit, and say goodbye to all peppers.  Say goodbye to spice and flavour.

Categorizing things inaccurately because other people did so, doesn't make it right.  If all your friends followed a tomato off a cliff, would you?

1 hour ago, ravens_rool28 said:

If you're using the botanical classification instead of the culinary classification for these then you're a nerd who's just trying to make your inferior choice sound better.  For shame.

That's where I am on the debate.  Colloquially, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, etc. are vegetables.

Plus, trying to go scientific doesn't work, because inherently vegetables aren't a scientific definition.  I mean, the definition of a vegetable is "a plant or part of a plant used for food."  So, if yall all want to start getting nitpicky, fine.  Tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins, cucumbers, etc. are all fruits.  Good for you.

All fruits are vegetables.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 10:21 AM, Daniel said:

Your foodie game is at level 8, I can't keep up. 

Too bad you think chili comes with beans. We could have been a special duo...

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

That's where I am on the debate.  Colloquially, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, etc. are vegetables.

Plus, trying to go scientific doesn't work, because inherently vegetables aren't a scientific definition.  I mean, the definition of a vegetable is "a plant or part of a plant used for food."  So, if yall all want to start getting nitpicky, fine.  Tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins, cucumbers, etc. are all fruits.  Good for you.

All fruits are vegetables.

Checkmate, nerds.

ftfy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Your foodie game is at level 8, I can't keep up. 

Too bad you think chili comes with beans. We could have been a special duo...

Ah, you're one of those people that makes a weird ground beef stew and calls it chili.  At least you don't put noodles in it.

For the record, my chili is legit.  It won a chili cookoff in Knoxville.  And it's mostly black beans.

26 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Ah, you're one of those people that makes a weird ground beef stew and calls it chili.  At least you don't put noodles in it.

For the record, my chili is legit.  It won a chili cookoff in Knoxville.  And it's mostly black beans.

I've actually won a few before at work during rodeo season - no beans of course, because I'm a goddam American.

(Cumin and a little bit of curry powder were the big difference makers...)

• Like 3