2020 Green Bay Packers Defensive Line

Shanedorf

5 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Lowry's just a match-up guy.  6'6" with 31" arms means he's starting off at a disadvantage in both the run and pass game, so if he can't really leverage his positives (very quick feet at scale, plays with great effort, can absolutely run it down from the backside despite his size) he's in for a long day.  Really struggles to keep people out of his body at times, and he's never going to be the low man on a run play inside.  But you can still do a lot with that guy; if they just let him roll at 5T with an actual player at the 3 instead of the list of tragedies we put out there with him, he'd look a lot better to fans.

What, you don't love this guy at 3T? But we just paid him 7m per year?

Te44Dsz.gif

Extra shout out to that 2-3 against 11 personnel, and Amos not having the ILB eyes to follow the guard, get his eyes to that side and scrape over the top.

It is absolutely amazing how many long runs we gave up with that same damn description. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Te44Dsz.gif

Extra shout out to that 2-3 against 11 personnel, and Amos not having the ILB eyes to follow the guard, get his eyes to that side and scrape over the top.

It is absolutely amazing how many long runs we gave up with that same damn description. 

I mean I do kinda like him at the 3 in the right alignment/play design.  If you wanted him at the 3 to run a DT/DT stunt with Kenny on like a 2nd and 6, I'm all good with that.  He's quick for his size and can absolutely do the job of running around Kenny to the opposite A gap.  Almost anything else, yeah this is basically what I'd expect.  He even plays it as well as he's capable of; he's not standing up at the snap, he gets his hands into 79, but he just has no ability to feel the double and sink his hips when the guard gets into him.  Again, 6'6" with tiny T-Rex arms is just an awful body type to have at the 3, even for a high effort tough guy like Lowry.

That contract makes me sad, but it makes me even sadder that Pettine then decides to use his new $7 million rotational player as a starter at his worst spot.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Te44Dsz.gif

Yeah there's a lot of sadness to unpack in this one, but watching it again as it's drawn up that should be Redmond's responsibility right? Like, I don't think Amos scrapes because Redmond should be filling the D gap, but when he crashes in it's the world's easiest seal and then it's too late for Amos. Not that I think anyone played it great, but this play is on Lowry/Redmond to me primarily. Well Pettine, but after that.

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Yeah there's a lot of sadness to unpack in this one, but watching it again as it's drawn up that should be Redmond's responsibility right? Like, I don't think Amos scrapes because Redmond should be filling the D gap, but when he crashes in it's the world's easiest seal and then it's too late for Amos. Not that I think anyone played it great, but this play is on Lowry/Redmond to me primarily. Well Pettine, but after that.

I think Amos is playing 10/Scrape. 

Lowry has B.

Preston has C.

Redmond has D.

Jaire has the inside force. In this case E to F. 

The pulling Guard forces Jaire to F. That means you need your guy playing 10/Scrape to have diagnosed "Not A" and scraped over the top. Redmond getting hit 5 yards downfield certainly didn't make this any easier. 

If Amos doesn't take those ugly false steps on the snap, he's got a shot here.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 11:09 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Te44Dsz.gif

I hate so many things about the gap responsibility on this play. 

Pettine is like the anti Shanny. You see some of his zone run concepts in SF and you're like "well that was overly complicated but cool that it works." Pettine you see the alignment and it goes just about how you'd expect. I pray that the lack of off-season work made him simplify things, like "hey, you're an edge defender, you should have contain." 

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I hate so many things about the gap responsibility on this play. 

Pettine is like the anti Shanny. You see some of his zone run concepts in SF and you're like "well that was overly complicated but cool that it works." Pettine you see the alignment and it goes just about how you'd expect. I pray that the lack of off-season work made him simplify things, like "hey, you're an edge defender, you should have contain." 

The edge defender being responsible for the gap inside of the TE is one of those things that I just do not get. It's infuriating.

I think the idea is that the non Clark DTs are weak so that role can mitigate some of the damage of a guy getting beat on a combo block, but it drives me nuts to watch open edges.

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The edge defender being responsible for the gap inside of the TE is one of those things that I just do not get. It's infuriating.

I think the idea is that the non Clark DTs are weak so that role can mitigate some of the damage of a guy getting beat on a combo block, but it drives me nuts to watch open edges.

It makes no sense, natural containment leverage and you take it away from them and force them to crash which almost always takes your ability to strike the OL first. If I didn't like Pettine's pass game playbook I'd be so angry he's back.

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It makes no sense, natural containment leverage and you take it away from them and force them to crash which almost always takes your ability to strike the OL first. If I didn't like Pettine's pass game playbook I'd be so angry he's back.

Perry much this :/

Here's SI with Pettine's comments on Keke Kinglsey, quoted below

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/ranking-the-packers-no-28-kingsley-keke

Both Pettine and Montgomery have talked often of their desire to rotate the Big Guys to keep them fresh - but that's not what happened last year with the starters playing too many snaps and the back-ups getting very few. In the case of Kingsley Keke, he was busy re-making his body AND trying to learn NFL DL techniques

This quote offers a hint at why he didn't see more snaps in 2019:

“We saw the talent coming out of Texas A&M, but he was just very raw,” Pettine said during an offseason Zoom call. “Had a pretty good knack as a pass rusher, had some natural ability there. Just as far as his run technique, pad level, playing with his hands and having a good understanding of all the information we gather pre-snap: What is the formation? What is the down-and-distance? What personnel grouping are they in? What’s the formation telling us – is it a fullback? Is he tilted one way? Is the tight end off the ball? What are the lines – all the little details that takes guys sometimes a while not only to learn but then also to be able to apply it.”

4 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Yep. That play was so easy for the 49ers it's hard to pinpoint which Packer player(s) was really at fault. 

I was looking at the Philly game where they just went up the middle on us with a bigger back and Pettine couldn't find a way to stop it. With the 49ers game, the issue there was a lack of athleticism at ILB because the position has been generally ignored in the draft with the exception of Burks who is made of glass...