2020 Green Bay Packers Defensive Line

Shanedorf

22 minutes ago, craig said:

I think a contributing factor to the modest reemphasis on running has been as a response to shifts in defensive personnel.  

1. Usage of nickel and dime has drifted up over the years.
  2. Emphasis on light, fast, pass-coverage ILB and reduced emphasis and usage of physical run-tackling ILB.   As guys in the box get fewer and smaller, defenses become more vulnerable to the run.  

I'd agree with this as a general statement about the league.  To be clear, because I think my statement was not nearly clear enough for how definite it was, I feel there will always be value in both.  It leads to stats guys dismissing the run game more than they should and misidentifying the cause of offensive success in a lot of areas.  Your point is a good example; while the passing game is super valuable, defensive adaptations have left defenses more susceptible to the run than they used to be.  If you aren't confident in your passing game (and even if you are), taking advantage of bad personnel choices is always a winning strategy and it works just as well in the run game.  We all got front row tickets to the absolute worst/best case scenario of exactly that in the NFC Championship game; no matter how inefficient the run game might be league wide, it doesn't matter if your team can't stop it.

That being said, if you have any version of Aaron Rodgers, you should probably be trying to focus your offense on the passing game as much as possible.  He hasn't played up to his capabilities for a few years now, but he's still a transcendent talent and you want to try to get everything you can out of that.  In which case, a nice middle ground would be 11 personnel that can still be used as a heavy running set.  Aaron absolutely loves to change the play at the line and it sure looks like the team is leaning into that by trying to get as many multiple players as possible.  Big receivers that can block, a FB who can split out, and a couple of athletic bodies at TE that can line up X to Y.  Assuming it all goes to plan, you could literally play 5 wide, 11, 12, 21, and even a weird 22 from the same personnel grouping.  Whether or not this actually comes together I have no idea, but it would be an interesting strategy if they do indeed lean into using their power forwards room for more than just straight receiving.

• Like 1

Looks like the Gerald Willis Era is over...

"Claimed by the Green Bay Packers off of waivers in April, defensive lineman Gerald Willis was waived by the Packers on Sunday, ending his stay on GM Brian Gutekunst’s roster before it ever really began. Willis never passed a physical with the Packers and was never officially a member of the roster."

22 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Looks like the Gerald Willis Era is over...

"Claimed by the Green Bay Packers off of waivers in April, defensive lineman Gerald Willis was waived by the Packers on Sunday, ending his stay on GM Brian Gutekunst’s roster before it ever really began. Willis never passed a physical with the Packers and was never officially a member of the roster."

So we're relying on just Willington Previlon and Treyvon Hester to provide competition to our existing group of DL. That's not great.

I am guessing he wants to return to minny and he's using the threat of GB to seal the deal. Then there's also this - also leaked out today:
NFL rumors: "Free agent defensive end Everson Griffen hints at interest in signing with Eagles"

minny stuck with him during his mental health struggles, so they would seem the most logical landing spot for him -  but they are tight on cash and looking even tighter in 2021 so he's probably trying to goose the negotiations and boost a final offer. IF he actually wanted to play in GB, it would be weird to announce interest publicly via Rapoport and not just call up the Packers front office.

Additionally, I can't imagine Griffen wants to play 3-tech except on passing downs and GB already has Z and Gary for that role. He'd be a fine addition to the DL, but it seems to be an unusual fit for both parties.

21 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Adding Griffin to the pass rush is an enticing prospect. However, as we learned last season in San Francisco, it doesn't matter how good your pass rush is if the opponent can run the ball all day.  

Worked for 14 other games last season. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Just not the one that mattered the most. 

Don't be silly, it worked for the first playoff game, if we didn't win that one, then there would of been no second game.

There is no way short of winning nthe injury and turnover battles that the Packers had a real shot against the 49ers. This game is all about matchups, and all the matchups favored the 49ers especially after the Packers lost tow.of their starting DBs to injuries.

I said weeks before the playoffs, the Packers needed the Seahawks or Saints to knock the 49ers out, as no other NFC team had even a chance to knock them out.

Packers over achieved and thanks to a weak *** schedule, poor opponent QB play, luck and good timing on big plays.

They had no shot at winning a Superbowl and we're lucky at over achieving to get the NFC Champs game.

Packers will struggle a lot more, against a much more this year and.much better opposing QB play, but hopefully the opposing defenses will be much worse too.

8 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I am guessing he wants to return to minny and he's using the threat of GB to seal the deal. Then there's also this - also leaked out today:
NFL rumors: "Free agent defensive end Everson Griffen hints at interest in signing with Eagles"

minny stuck with him during his mental health struggles, so they would seem the most logical landing spot for him -  but they are tight on cash and looking even tighter in 2021 so he's probably trying to goose the negotiations and boost a final offer. IF he actually wanted to play in GB, it would be weird to announce interest publicly via Rapoport and not just call up the Packers front office.

Additionally, I can't imagine Griffen wants to play 3-tech except on passing downs and GB already has Z and Gary for that role. He'd be a fine addition to the DL, but it seems to be an unusual fit for both parties.

Extremely well said.

I have said, I'd like the idea of signing another heavy edge and rotating the heavy edge at the 3 tech, but it's hard to see it actually happening, as

• money is kinda tight (and they're already over the minimum 2021 cap number).
  • most edge rusher don't want to play full time interior rusher (more dirty work, less opportunities and less glory)
  • an edge rusher that's used to starting is gonna want to start, and if 3 tech is cool with them, then we might have a spot for them, if not, then it looks right on this roster
  • he's had mental health issues

That being said, Clowney could potentially be holding the market up right now, and he's not getting all the offers and getting impatient, as teams are trying to wait for Clowney to make a decision first, if some team is making an offer now without waiting for Clowney, and they rest want to wait, than it's possible.

But yeah, a 4-3 also makes more sense.

Edited by Beast

Griffin may have preferred to sign with the Vikings, but at this point he may have had it with them. Still without a contract after 5 months of free agency. I think the chance that the Packers or Eagles may be able to lure him away from the Vikings is very real. 

• 2 weeks later...