Kevin Garnett vs Anthony Davis

RandyMossIsBoss

AD vs KG  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is AD already a better player than KG ever was?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Whose play was better through their age 26 season?

• AD
    • KG
  3. 3. Who would you build a franchise around?

• AD
    • KG

4 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

He's going to surpass a top 20 player ever? I have my doubts. I don't see AD ever getting that high.

If he wins a title or two people will forget about his lack of success with the Pels, look at his stats and rank him that high for sure. Just like KGs legacy was elevated after he became a Celtic

Edited by amac

13 minutes ago, amac said:

If he wins a title or two people will forget about his lack of success with the Pels, look at his stats and rank him that high for sure. Just like KGs legacy was elevated immensely after he became a Celtic

I don't buy that as a valid argument. People who know basketball won't forget about his lack of success. If he wins a title or two as 2nd banana behind LeBron how does that make him jump up from low level Hall of Fame guy to All Time Great? Kevin Garnett carried some putrid Minnesota teams (basically only played on two or three decent teams) to relevance for a long time. He made the postseason eight times in twelve years. The Wolves have made the postseason one time in nineteen years without him (ignoring his short stint at the end there). They were garbage before he showed up and have been garbage since he left. He was already an All Time guy before he left. The second he showed up in Boston on a good team he won DPOY, could've won MVP, should've won finals MVP and was the defacto top guy on that team.

Anthony Davis made the postseason twice in seven years and his team was back in the hunt the very next season. He showed up in LA and received early DPOY talk until people realized Dwight Howard was giving them just as much defensively off the bench. He popped up in LA and right away we could tell LeBron was the top player on that team. If he ends up with a few Pippen rings that doesn't make him any better a player.

KG was a dude who needed an elite scorer next to him but he could be the best player on a title team. Anthony Davis hasn't shown he could be any better than a great 2nd option on a title team. Plus Garnett was better at every aspect of offense except scoring, and at least a tier or two higher defensively. Unless he improves by a good margin, I'd be surprised if Anthony Davis ever hit top 25, let alone top 20 like KG.

6 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Don't forget Minnesota was without a 1st round pick for 4 years because of the Joe Smith debacle. KG was screwed by the front office so hard.

They also traded Ray Allen and Brandon Roy on draft day, picked and kept Paul Grant, William Avery, Rasho Nesterovic and Ndudu Ebi in the first rd.  They did hit on Wally Z.  

• Like 1

AD being a de facto top 5 player in the league by so many people has been so confusing to me. Why?

I guess it hasn't been confusing. He visually fits it. He puts up stats. He was a #1 overall pick. But he can't be a top dog and his numbers don't lead to wins. Maybe that changes. But take a look here....

He's a perfect fit next to LeBron. So won't be surprised if he wins a couple titles. But he's not KG. 

• Like 1

Tbf, a 2019 offense run through Garnett wouldn’t be as effective. Then again, he averaged 6 assists at his peak. He was just better.

That one year that AD carried those scrubs after Cousins got hurt reminded me of KG. For whatever reason it just didn’t work out in any other season.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

AD being a de facto top 5 player in the league by so many people has been so confusing to me. Why?

I guess it hasn't been confusing. He visually fits it. He puts up stats. He was a #1 overall pick. But he can't be a top dog and his numbers don't lead to wins. Maybe that changes. But take a look here....

He's a perfect fit next to LeBron. So won't be surprised if he wins a couple titles. But he's not KG. 

You have no shame at all!!! Just admit you are bitter at people saying AD is better than Jokic lol.

But yeah, bigs in general that aren't good play makers won't lead teams to wins. They are also for the most part useless offensively late in games. 

Part of that rating could be due to AD playing a significant amount of minutes with Rondo when LeBron is off the floor? 

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You have no shame at all!!! Just admit you are bitter at people saying AD is better than Jokic lol.

But yeah, bigs in general that aren't good play makers won't lead teams to wins. They are also for the most part useless offensively late in games. 

Part of that rating could be due to AD playing a significant amount of minutes with Rondo when LeBron is off the floor? 

Lmaooo bro you know my soul. Would you rather build a team around AD or Jokic? 

Edited by champ11

6 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Lmaooo bro you know my soul. Would you rather build a team around AD or Jokic? 

If I have a bottom feeding team and need to build a team from those two to get to the playoffs? Jokic. If I have a perimeter star already? Then I think Davis due to his versatility defensively. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

If I have a bottom feeding team and need to build a team from those two to get to the playoffs? Jokic. If I have a perimeter star already? Then I think Davis due to his versatility defensively. 

fair answer. i actually just don't like AD very much because of the klutch mafia and my resentment for the Lakers tbh tho. No Jokic involved. AD has been perpetually overrated, IMO, but he is fantastic and now in the perfect situation/fit to be a second star. He's not built to carry a team or organization and there is nothing wrong with that. You just don't get automatic top 5 praise IMO

19 minutes ago, champ11 said:

fair answer. i actually just don't like AD very much because of the klutch mafia and my resentment for the Lakers tbh tho. No Jokic involved. AD has been perpetually overrated, IMO, but he is fantastic and now in the perfect situation/fit to be a second star. He's not built to carry a team or organization and there is nothing wrong with that. You just don't get automatic top 5 praise IMO

Top six players for me are all perimeter guys. Curry, Durant, LeBron, Kawhi, Giannis and Harden. Jokic makes more of a difference in close games than any other big as the Nuggets still run their offense through him, but the six I named make more of an impact. 

Davis is a really good player. Dude can do pretty much everything. But yeah, definitely isn't going to carry a team to the playoffs consistently nor win many playoff series on his own

8 minutes ago, champ11 said:

forgive @RandyMossIsBoss - he's a kentucky fan 

Hey now I still went with KG, but yes no doubt some bias towards the brow... I do think people are using hindsight for the 1st 8 years comparison though, did KG not have the same "empty stats" rep as AD considering his teams were easy outs in the playoffs every year*? I get it AD only had 2 trips to KG's 7, but AD having the best series among them has to count for something (beating 3 seed Portland where he averaged 33 PPG on 58% shooting)... and as bad as KG's casts were, AD's were even worse. Injuries ravaged them whenever they had any semblance of talent.

*Late 90s/early 00s is before my time so I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure I've heard/read that Wolves KG was always dogged for having nothing to show for his accolades, at least up until the WCF run where he showed he could be best player on a contender, and certainly not after the Celtics run.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Top six players for me are all perimeter guys. Curry, Durant, LeBron, Kawhi, Giannis and Harden. Jokic makes more of a difference in close games than any other big as the Nuggets still run their offense through him, but the six I named make more of an impact. 

Davis is a really good player. Dude can do pretty much everything. But yeah, definitely isn't going to carry a team to the playoffs consistently nor win many playoff series on his own

Say 26 year old KG is in the league today, is he in that top 6, or would you say the same thing that you're saying about AD, that he's "a really good player. Dude can..." etc. ?