Rank every division's QB situations: AFC West

Hoping to get some detailed discussion comparing the QB rooms in each division in the coming months, maybe one per week. Next up, the AFC West.

Denver Broncos: Drew Lock, Jeff Driskel, Brett Rypien, Riley Neal
Kansas City Chiefs: Patrick Mahomes, Chad Henne, Jordan Ta'amu, Shea Patterson 
Las Vegas Raiders: Derek Carr, Marcus Mariota, Nathan Peterman 
Los Angeles Chargers: Tyrod Taylor, Justin Herbert, Easton Stick

How do you rank these rooms heading into the 2020 season?

1. Chiefs: Mahomes

2. Broncos: Lock 

3. Chargers: Tyrod/Herbert

4. Raiders: Carr/Mariota 

Close between the Broncos, Raiders, and Chargers and truth be told no one in the division has a terrible QB situation. If we're talking just about the coming year I'd put the Raiders w/ Carr over the Chargers but big picture wise the reality is the Raiders are the only franchise in division who don't know who their QB of the future is, so that puts them at the bottom for me. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

6 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Close between the Broncos, Raiders, and Chargers and truth be told no one in the division has a terrible QB situation. If we're talking just about the coming year I'd put the Raiders w/ Carr over the Chargers but big picture wise the reality is the Raiders are the only franchise in division who don't know who their QB of the future is, so that puts them at the bottom for me. 

Agreed. The 2-4 in this division may actually be one of the more interesting discussions across these threads.

Right now today 

1. Chiefs - I mean not much needs to be said... It's Mahomes. He's perhaps the best QB in all of football, clear cream of the crop in the AFC West. 

2. Raiders - I think hating on Carr has become the trendy thing to do. Does he have holes in his game? For sure. But we're still talking about a guy that completed 70% of his passes, threw for over 400 yards, 21 TDs, and 8 picks. Plus a 100.8 QB rating. He was top 5 in completion percentage, top 10 in yards, top 10 in INT percentage, top 10 in QB rating. The guy can play. And in comparison to all the other guys near the top of those stats his top WR was Tyrell Williams with a busted foot after week 4 or 5. He lost the WR he spent the entire off season expecting to be his top guy and the dude the entire passing game was supposed to revolve around and in a way that most guys don't deal with. His top target was really Waller but it's not exactly like he was a known commodity coming into last season. Carr isn't an elite QB, he's a good one though. He's better than Tyrod Taylor IMO, and he's shown more than Drew Lock (who I actually like a lot and compared to Carr coming out). I was one of Carr's biggest supporters in 2016, and I gsve him a pass for 2017 coming off the injury. 2018 was bad, but it was a terrible team overall. Last season though when I look at everything as a whole I thought Carr was super impressive. He needs to push the ball down the field more but it's hard to expect him to do that with garbage at WR. And the fact he produced like he did with significantly less talent than the top tier QBs shows to me just how talented Carr is. I think he has played on a unstable franchise and has been held back by constant turnover coaching wise from the HC to coordinators. With the loss of AB and the lack of overall pass catching talent last season it speaks to how good he is to play as well as he did. He didn't get any help from a terrible defense either. I think last year shows Carr is the future of the Raiders, I think we have had a franchise with 5 first round picks in the past 2 seasons. If they didn't believe in Carr long term that is the time to make a move to move on. They made it a point to add weapons this off season so they obviously want to see Carr take another step in his third year in the same offense (he's NEVER in his career had more than 2 years under the same coordinator prior to Gruden), but I think it's possible he does and people start to see him in a better light. Not to mention he's still not even 30 years old and locked up on a contract that is reasonable right now with all the contracts given out recently.  And as much talk there is about Gruden loving QBs his history actually says he prefers veterans. I think he took the job in large part because he believes in Carr and there has been enough production last year in a limited offesne and enough improvement from year one to year two to believe Gruden thinks he can win with Carr. Time will tell. 

3. Broncos - I liked Lock a lot more than most before the draft. I had him as my clear cut #2 QB in the class. He has tremendous arm strength and athleticism, but he needed to work on his lower body mechanics and he's not good under pressure (not my biggest concern with a prospect because most QBs are bad under pressure). He showed a lot to be excited about last season, but he's still very young and will be playing with a lot of young (but talented) pass catchers. That means IMO there will be some very high highs and some low lows. I do think Denver has found their QB of the future. But I'm not sold Drew Lock next season will be better than Carr next season. 

4. Chargers - Tyrod Taylor is a decent stop gap, decent QB that's capable of holding the fort for a season if need be, but he's on the bottom tier of NFL starting QBs. I feel confident in saying he will be the worst starter in the division next season (though still serviceable) I just don't see the AFC West as a whole having bad QB play. I didn't think a ton of Herbert and I certainly think he needs to sit for a year. Some will really like his long term potential and he has a lot from the athletic standpoint, but I just think his accuracy and touch is spacey, and I think he will have some trouble adjusting to making more NFL throws instead of the ridiculously screen heavy system he played in. I don't see a future franchise QB when I watch him, but some will. 

Long term I think it's the same too, but I'll admit I can certainly see Lock becoming the second best QB in the division and Herbert has potential to challenge for that too, I just don't love him as a prospect. So Mahomes will be entrenched as the top guy because it's just hard to see someone being better than top 2 QB in the NFL. Outside of him it could go a million different ways. I wouldn't argue with anyone that wanted to roll the dice and bet on the youth/upside/and rookie deal on Lock or Herbert over Carr long term though. I just think if we're talkinf 2020 and who plays their position the best, Carr will be the second best QB in the division. 

• Like 4

1. Chiefs - no comment

2. Raiders - The sum of Carr + Mariota is greater than the other rooms' parts. Easily. Whilst neither are top 10, they're competent enough to perform a role. Especially Carr.

3. Broncos - Don't know much about him tbh, but hasn't shown anything like a top 10 calibre YET. Expecting the team to make big gains this season though

4. Chargers - if this list were interception avoidance and taking the first open option, then top! I expect we'll see Goldie locks pretty early

19 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

There's no way you can have Tyrod over Carr. He may even be worse than Mariota unless LA uses him similar to Lamar in Baltimore.

• 2 weeks later...