Titania's Top 10 Titans Of 2020

TitanLegend

The loss of Malcolm Butler mid way through the season took it's toll on the defense and showed just how important he was to our secondary, in part earning him the #10 spot on our ranking the roster list.

giphy.gif

Full list:

1. Derrick Henry
  2. Kevin Byard
  3. Taylor Lewan
  4. Adoree Jackson
  5. Ryan Tannehill
  6. AJ Brown
  7. Jayon Brown
  8. Rodger Saffold
  9. Brett Kern
  10. Malcolm Butler

Is everyone happy with the list?

I am cool with the list. Probably more importantly from a fan perspective, I am probably just as happy with our 11-15 guys as I am with our 1-10.

We need a little bit more 'game breaking' talent on both sides of the ball (which team doesn't?), but we have a really solid roster top to bottom.

• Like 2

Honestly goes to show how far this team has come. I will say though Kern is too low on this list. Guy has been the best punter in the league for awhile now and been a model of consistency for us. Setting up our defense in much better spots and hurting the opposing offenses.

I get it's a punter but to me only Henry, Byard and Lewan should be ahead of Kern.

The fact so many great players did not make the top 10 is a true testament to how much better this team is now.

13 hours ago, Titan89 said:

Honestly goes to show how far this team has come. I will say though Kern is too low on this list. Guy has been the best punter in the league for awhile now and been a model of consistency for us. Setting up our defense in much better spots and hurting the opposing offenses.

I get it's a punter but to me only Henry, Byard and Lewan should be ahead of Kern.

The fact so many great players did not make the top 10 is a true testament to how much better this team is now.

I have to disagree. While Kern is one of the best punters in the league, there's just not much difference between the top guys and middle of the road guys at the end of the day. Kern was 4th in average and 8th in net average. A guy like Morstead (never heard of him before today) was a yard less than him in gross, had the same net, ahigher % of kicks inside the 20, and lower touch back %.

I also disagree with your usage of the word "great". Other than Simmons or Evans, who certainly have the potential to be great, I dont see great players omitted. There some good players and guys that play key roles for us (or will), but not great. Seriously, we probably have 3 guys who would be great or top tiered in the team... Lewan, Byard ,and Henry. Kern may be top tiered, but like I said above, there's not much distinguishing him and middle road type of guys. I'm hoping AJ, Adoree, and Evans continue ascending, as they have the potential to be top tiered/great players. 

2 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I have to disagree. While Kern is one of the best punters in the league, there's just not much difference between the top guys and middle of the road guys at the end of the day. Kern was 4th in average and 8th in net average. A guy like Morstead (never heard of him before today) was a yard less than him in gross, had the same net, ahigher % of kicks inside the 20, and lower touch back %.

I also disagree with your usage of the word "great". Other than Simmons or Evans, who certainly have the potential to be great, I dont see great players omitted. There some good players and guys that play key roles for us (or will), but not great. Seriously, we probably have 3 guys who would be great or top tiered in the team... Lewan, Byard ,and Henry. Kern may be top tiered, but like I said above, there's not much distinguishing him and middle road type of guys. I'm hoping AJ, Adoree, and Evans continue ascending, as they have the potential to be top tiered/great players. 

Morstead's been one of the better punters in the league for some time now...

2 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Just a name I picked... but again, the difference between punters is not too significant.

You could make the same argument about the top QBs if you're just looking at statistical difference.  For example, compare Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes (pretty universally the top two QBs last year) to someone middle of the road like Matt Ryan (No. 14 sorted by QBR)

Ryan threw for 4466 yds, 66.2% completion rate, 26 TDs, and 14 INTs.  That's 1000 yards more than Jackson, almost 500 more than Mahomes, and as many TDs as Mahomes.  I know Mahomes missed a few games, but my point is there isn't a huge difference between them, because they're all still good QBs, even in the middle ranks.

Being the best punter in the league for several years is worth more than ninth place IMO.

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You could make the same argument about the top QBs if you're just looking at statistical difference.  For example, compare Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes (pretty universally the top two QBs last year) to someone middle of the road like Matt Ryan (No. 14 sorted by QBR)

Ryan threw for 4466 yds, 66.2% completion rate, 26 TDs, and 14 INTs.  That's 1000 yards more than Jackson, almost 500 more than Mahomes, and as many TDs as Mahomes.  I know Mahomes missed a few games, but my point is there isn't a huge difference between them, because they're all still good QBs, even in the middle ranks.

Being the best punter in the league for several years is worth more than ninth place IMO.

I don't think you can get more of an apples-to-oranges comparison than using stats to compare a QB to punter. It's more like apples-to-candy bar

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I don't think you can get more of an apples-to-oranges comparison than using stats to compare a QB to punter. It's more like apples-to-candy bar

I'm not comparing QB to Punter, I'm comparing using stats for a top level player vs a mid level player at a different position.

12 hours ago, Daniel said:

I'm not comparing QB to Punter, I'm comparing using stats for a top level player vs a mid level player at a different position.

But you're talking about a guy on the field for 60 plays a game... and defenses having to account for them even in non passing plays... vs a guy who's on the field 3-5 times a game?

Also the reason the top paid punter (and surprise,its Morstead) gets 4M a year when a top 15 ish qb gets 30M per year.

No matter how great Kern is, his impact on the game is nowhere near someone like a qb,  even the "14th ranked" Ryan... and this case, guys like Butler or Evans.

Agree to disagree I guess

9 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

But you're talking about a guy on the field for 60 plays a game... and defenses having to account for them even in non passing plays... vs a guy who's on the field 3-5 times a game?

Also the reason the top paid punter (and surprise,its Morstead) gets 4M a year when a top 15 ish qb gets 30M per year.

No matter how great Kern is, his impact on the game is nowhere near someone like a qb,  even the "14th ranked" Ryan... and this case, guys like Butler or Evans.

Agree to disagree I guess

I guess.  If you're looking at it as who makes the biggest difference on the team.  I was just looking at it as best player, without taking positional value into it.  If you do, then yes, he has no business near the top end.

We all have different criteria.

But it's not like we have anything else football related going on.  I can keep arguing about it.  Or something else.  Gimme an opposing topic, someone!