Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, Here'sJim said:

Anyone surprised by this?:

https://nflpa.com/cleveland-browns-report-card-2024

"Only 70% of players feel that head coach Kevin Stefanski is efficient with their time (29th overall) 

Players feel that Kevin Stefanski is somewhat willing to listen to the locker room (23rd overall)"

Idk, I’m not saying they’re wrong or whatever but much of the team/league are early 20 something guys with no work history or frame of reference as to how other organizations operate.  He’s been the only coach 4 rookie classes has ever known.  

Like, what qualifies their opinion? 

Also, my job has a similar survey every 6 months and there’s always gonna be “those folks”.  Can’t please everyone all the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Here'sJim said:

Anyone surprised by this?:

https://nflpa.com/cleveland-browns-report-card-2024

"Only 70% of players feel that head coach Kevin Stefanski is efficient with their time (29th overall) 

Players feel that Kevin Stefanski is somewhat willing to listen to the locker room (23rd overall)"

Stefanski said they’re getting new weight room. So at least there will be an upgrade there. 

7 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think now is the time. This is our last year to go all-in. We will likely be needing a rebuild/retooling after next season.

The Deshaun Watson thing is an unmitigated disaster, should he not turn out to be a top 10 QB this year...and that looks...highly unlikely. It'd be one thing to be in Denver's position. They aren't a contender with or without a top QB. The Browns with a top QB would be amazing.

I'm down to kick the cap hell down the road, but if you pee in your pants, you can only stay warm for so long. 

I'd rather do the best now without sacrificing the years after Watson is gone. Obviously we aren't doing that so there will be dark times when I can be excited about the Browns again but they don't do what they do for me so I get it.

In 5 years we'll likely be a laughingstock with limited resources and a whole new regime. I guess back to the basics of being a Browns' fan. But hey, the Saints are competitive, we can hope our division ends up as garbage as theirs is and we can compete to go 8-9 and win the division.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Idk, I’m not saying they’re wrong or whatever but much of the team/league are early 20 something guys with no work history or frame of reference as to how other organizations operate.  He’s been the only coach 4 rookie classes has ever known.  

Like, what qualifies their opinion? 

Also, my job has a similar survey every 6 months and there’s always gonna be “those folks”.  Can’t please everyone all the time.

I get that, but he is disproportionately being rated poorly. For example, 87% of players feel that former head coach Pete Carroll was efficient with their time (21st overall).

The top 5 guys are hovering around 97%+ percent.

Edited by Here'sJim

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

In 5 years we'll likely be a laughingstock with limited resources and a whole new regime. I guess back to the basics of being a Browns' fan. But hey, the Saints are competitive, we can hope our division ends up as garbage as theirs is and we can compete to go 8-9 and win the division.

I wouldn’t mind a reset falloff for a year or two while we recoup value and jettison contracts as long as we get to keep winning 11+ games per year.

42 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'd rather do the best now without sacrificing the years after Watson is gone. Obviously we aren't doing that so there will be dark times when I can be excited about the Browns again but they don't do what they do for me so I get it.

The issue with the saints isn’t their plan imo, but rather they’ve continued it post-Brees.  I guess that’s something you can do in that division, but obviously we couldn’t.  

They could clean this up in a year or two at any time, they’ve chosen to compound the issue more than is necessary imo.

honestly though, playing the long game isn’t gonna work with this owner (most owners).  He wants competitive every year and has a hair trigger if he doesn’t get it.  Worrying about 2027 or whatever is pointless for anyone associated with the front office to some degree.  Cross that bridge when you come to it, IF you come to it.  

43 minutes ago, Here'sJim said:

I get that, but he is disproportionately being rated poorly. For example, 87% of players feel that former head coach Pete Carroll was efficient with their time (21st overall).

The top 5 guys are hovering around 97%+ percent.

Yeah, fair point 

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Worrying about 2027 or whatever is pointless for anyone associated with the front office to some degree.  Cross that bridge when you come to it, IF you come to it.  

Yeah, I get that which is why I said that I get that they're doing what they're doing. I just don't like it for me. I don't want a lot of voided contracts and dead cap hits once Watson is gone, I'd like to reload rather than rebuild.

If the Browns win a championship in the next couple years it will become the current regime's problem but odds are it will be someone else's problem.

At least we don't have to worry about figuring how to resign 1st round picks for a long time, that helps a little. If we keep restructuring Watson we will have a 45 million cap hit after his contract expires. So I'd rather just give him the 64 million per year the next 3 years and do what we can.

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, I get that which is why I said that I get that they're doing what they're doing. I just don't like it for me. I don't want a lot of voided contracts and dead cap hits once Watson is gone, I'd like to reload rather than rebuild.

If the Browns win a championship in the next couple years it will become the current regime's problem but odds are it will be someone else's problem.

At least we don't have to worry about figuring how to resign 1st round picks for a long time, that helps a little. If we keep restructuring Watson we will have a 45 million cap hit after his contract expires. So I'd rather just give him the 64 million per year the next 3 years and do what we can.

Yeah you sorta wonder at what point ownership and the FO might stop kicking the can if he continues to look super average.  Big name, very good in the past and all, but unless he shows more than a half of looking elite in 2024 you kinda have to consider just eating his 2025 salary as is, or restructuring to kick less of it down the road than you could.  If he looks great in 2025 then continue kicking the can and restructuring, but if he’s middling again it’s probably time to start looking at other options.

On 2/28/2024 at 2:33 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

I think now is the time. This is our last year to go all-in. We will likely be needing a rebuild/retooling after next season.

The Deshaun Watson thing is an unmitigated disaster, should he not turn out to be a top 10 QB this year...and that looks...highly unlikely. It'd be one thing to be in Denver's position. They aren't a contender with or without a top QB. The Browns with a top QB would be amazing.

I'm down to kick the cap hell down the road, but if you pee in your pants, you can only stay warm for so long. 

I actually think this is an over exaggeration of our salary cap situation.

We aren't kicking the can down the road as much as we are wisely spending on a 0% interest credit card when we know money will be worth less in a few years.

We are not spending more than we have or will have, we are just continuously spending a lower percentage of the cap than everyone else because we are spending on future cap not this years cap.

If Berry and Depodesta left and someone else took over, we would be in cap hell because I don't think they would understand how to work like this, but because Haslem is willing to spend more cash today (which is a huge component of being able to do this) we have the advantage of being able to spend more than other teams.

• Like 2