Browns General Discussion

candyman93

14 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We might have the worst lockeroom culture in all of sports. Which really says something after last year with OBJ.

This is what happens when you just let kids do whatever they want and not hold them accountable.

F that. Threaten to take their livelihood away from them.

What happened/what did I miss?

This organization is so incredibly stupid lol

We had a back up quarterback start the season for us for 11 games and we’re surprised he plays like a backup.

We didn’t address the linebacker or defensive tackle position with any real sense of urgency this off-season knowing it was a weakness and expected not to get blown off the ball. Idiocracy in Berea. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

I mean, you may be totally right, but how do you know what conversations are being had behind closed doors?

Now if Woods survives this season, that's 100% a terrible look for Stefanski. Just because Stefanski is generally a soft spoken dude doesn't mean he hasn't had serious talks with his staff.

Yesterday was the first game where it seemed like players just didn't give a ****. I hadn't noticed players not playing hard before that. Defensive and ST players doing dumb ****? Yes. Not trying? Not that I've noticed.

Look at this effort to plug gaps by the LBs.

Delpit seeing a player come in motion and then not taking him. This happens a lot with Delpit. He is clueless

Delpit again being horrible in man coverage

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Look at this effort between #96 and #50

Delpit seeing a player come in motion and then not taking him. This happens a lot with Delpit. He is clueless

Delpit again being horrible in man coverage

Effing Delpit man. Only thing wrong with that illustration was that #22 usually slows down at the end of the play so the gap between the receiver and him as the touchdown was being scored should have reflected him loafing after the WR. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Effing Delpit man. Only thing wrong with that illustration was that #22 usually slows down at the end of the play so the gap between the receiver and him as the touchdown was being scored should have reflected him loafing after the WR. 

He has been outrageously bad. He only knows how to tackle by lowering his shoulder, and he seems to blow coverages from a lack of understanding of zone/man concepts literally every single game. He gave up 2 TDs yesterday and he was responsible for multiple other blown coverage against the Jets and Chargers.

I know Harrison is not great, but at least he isnt constantly out of position giving up massive chunks. They need to start him and have Delpit ride the pines for a while.

Maybe also having a veteran back there with Johnson will eliminate some of the communication errors.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He has been outrageously bad. He only knows how to tackle by lowering his shoulder, and he seems to blow coverages from a lack of understanding of zone/man concepts literally every single game. He gave up 2 TDs yesterday and he was responsible for multiple other blown coverage against the Jets and Chargers.

I know Harrison is not great, but at least he isnt constantly out of position giving up massive chunks. They need to start him and have Delpit ride the pines for a while.

Maybe also having a veteran back there with Johnson will eliminate some of the communication errors.

He’s clueless back there. I had some hopes for him going into this season but he doesn’t know how to play within a defense.

24 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

This organization is so incredibly stupid lol

We had a back up quarterback start the season for us for 11 games and we’re surprised he plays like a backup.

We didn’t address the linebacker or defensive tackle position with any real sense of urgency this off-season knowing it was a weakness and expected not to get blown off the ball. Idiocracy in Berea. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it until it’s not true, but it’s not like they have made *some* investments there.

Between the two positions we have a former 1st, 2nd, three 3rds, two 4ths and two 5ths (one of whom started elsewhere).

Browns fans seem to think if we don’t have a 1 or 2 at every starting spot we haven’t invested.  Other teams start and get production out of mid and late rounders. It’s not unreasonable for Berry to look at the defensive staff and say “your system values ends and DBs, cool, we gave you an embarrassment of riches at those spots, make due with this at DT and LB.”

bottom line is I’m not gonna shift the blame to the FO because the coaches can’t get middling production from middling players.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it until it’s not true, but it’s not like they have made *some* investments there.

Between the two positions we have a former 1st, 2nd, three 3rds, two 4ths and two 5ths (one of whom started elsewhere).

Browns fans seem to think if we don’t have a 1 or 2 at every starting spot we haven’t invested.  Other teams start and get production out of mid and late rounders. It’s not unreasonable for Berry to look at the defensive staff and say “your system values ends and DBs, cool, we gave you an embarrassment of riches at those spots, make due with this at DT and LB.”

bottom line is I’m not gonna shift the blame to the FO because the coaches can’t get middling production from middling players.

I’m not specifically talking draft picks, you can’t just take people in mid round and expect them to be good starters as rookies, year 2, or even year 3. Guys like Jacob Phillips were bad the past two years, we shouldn’t have expected anything different this year. Guys like Perrion Winfrey are fourth round picks for a reason and again, he is a rookie. Tommy Togiai was inactive most of last season, should we expect that he would make enough of a leap this year to be a good starter? Some of these guys might have been OK as supplemental players, hoping to take a leap this year or be contributors. The JAX DT couldn’t make the team in JAX. But we are rolling a bunch of guys out there as starters or main contributors, and we didn’t really sign anybody that should be expected it to be an average level starter at some of these spots. The hit rate on draft picks in the NFL isn’t that good, and it’s worse yet when you get into those mid rounds. Sign some dudes and let those draft picks fight it out to make the squad instead of just putting everybody you draft on the roster over a 2-3 year period so that some of those guys are default starters. I’m not saying we should have signed all pros at all these positions, but give me some guys capable of being effective out there, at least average level players.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Right, but then you lose the locker room.

And if you don’t have the locker room AND you’re not winning… whew Jimmy is just waiting for that.

I keep seeing people say this

WHAT LOCKEROOM ARE PEOPLE AFRAID OF LOSING?

Very, very real chance that defense gets overhauled like a couple years ago.

the foundation of our defenses problem is coaching. On a good week we are two steps behind. Most we are four steps behind. 

We dont cover the running back so they can get away for a TD. 

I saw some encouraging stuff from Delpit, he was having an ok game at 1st. He had a really strong pass rush. But he either cant cover or hasnt been taught too proberly. Hunter Henry getting free was awful he should have atleast made Zappe have to throw. 

Newsome, greedy and Emerson have all shown skill through their career, and Zappe still made it over 300  yards. We should be a legit no fly zone, we have the talent, we dotn have the execution. We dont have technique or the courage to challenge our guys. 

21 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I keep seeing people say this

WHAT LOCKEROOM ARE PEOPLE AFRAID OF LOSING?

Very, very real chance that defense gets overhauled like a couple years ago.

2 wins 4 losses Johnson 

Your right were idiots for signing you.

Johnson was pretty good before he came here so that part of me thinks that this team has no clue how we are instructing our safeties schematically. Also, this example it sure does show the intelligence of this team. What did he think was going to happen here?

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 2