Browns General Discussion

candyman93

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Johnson was pretty good before he came here so that part of me thinks that this team has no clue how we are approaching our safeties schematically. Also, this example it sure does show the intelligence of this team. What did he think was going to happen here?

Whole is less than the sum of its parts. 

45 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Johnson was pretty good before he came here so that part of me thinks that this team has no clue how we are instructing our safeties schematically. Also, this example it sure does show the intelligence of this team. What did he think was going to happen here?

To be fair, when Joe Woods was the DC in Denver he was equally unimpressive. If it wasnt for a bunch of holdover studs from that 2015 SB team the defense would have been trash. It was Wade Phillips system without any of the sting.

He seems like a great guy, but his defenses have no real identity. It just relies on guys winning 1v1 matchups all over the place. Clearly some (Delpit, Phillips, DTs) arnt good enough to handle that and get exploited regularly because of it.

Also with JJIII I remember his being touted as a great leader. I need to see that becuase since he has been here, I have yet to see anything that shows me he is a great leader for young guys. I need more than 'he leads by his actions and work ethic'. We have enough of those guys, we need vocal leaders.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Wait til next year when Johnson's cap number doubles.

Clowney and Walker aren't signed for next season (still count for 9 million against the cap)

Deion Jones release would save us 13 million next year which I imagine happens. 

We won't have a lot of money to spend in free agency this year so we need to find sensible solutions to our defensive weakness either through affordable free agents or draft picks.

I really don't see anything helping with the current defensive scheme. I guess a superstar at every position would make this defense great but that isn't happening. 

So we need a defensive coach who can get the most out of our players who are already signed (Garrett/Ward) and the young guys (JOK/Newsome/Emerson etc...). I think that is step one to fixing the defense. I'd like a brave DC who isn't afraid to have exotic blitzes, or obvious ones for that matter and trust his players to make plays. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Almost the same thing. After trading for him we'd owe him nothing if we cut him, it just gives us an outside shot at getting a comp pick for him. 

I’m hoping he plays like he did in 2020 and 2017.

I’d love to have an upgrade at the MIKE spot longterm.

Delpit made some great plays in the backfield last game. That was the case last season too. Dude is just lost when asked to do anything else it seems like. I'd like to see what he can do with a competent DC, but he may be someone who can only do a limited amount of things and that's basically being a safety who blitzes/attacks the LOS.

JJ3 has been a disappointment, but he's been asked to do things that don't fit his strengths. When he was with the Rams, he was someone who was better at playing closer to the LOS as well.

I said during the offseason that I was concerned about our lack of a true FS, and that seems to have hurt us multiple times this season. We have some safeties with talent, but no one is a true FS. I wouldn't expect much from him, but I'd like to see what LeCounte could do as he's about the only true FS we have on the roster.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I keep seeing people say this

WHAT LOCKEROOM ARE PEOPLE AFRAID OF LOSING?

Very, very real chance that defense gets overhauled like a couple years ago.

I mean more from Stefanski’s end.  He can’t lose guys like Myles, Ward, etc.

But Woods should be doing whatever he can as he’s got to be coaching each week as if his job depends on it.  Or at least I’d hope.

51 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And this team has played a VERY soft schedule against opposing offenses. It's funny how everyone seems to put it all together against us at some point in games.

I'm sure Baltimore will get right in the 2nd half against us this upcoming week.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

And this team has played a VERY soft schedule against opposing offenses. It's funny how everyone seems to put it all together against us at some point in games.

I'm sure Baltimore will get right in the 2nd half against us this upcoming week.

We’ve played the easiest schedule in the league iirc.  And we now have either the hardest or second hardest remaining.

The wildest part of that tweet is that we are 14th in ST.  How ******* bad must 32 be?!???

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We’ve played the easiest schedule in the league iirc.  And we now have either the hardest or second hardest remaining.

The wildest part of that tweet is that we are 14th in ST.  How ******* bad must 32 be?!???

Bojorquez has been a good get at punter and our punt coverage has been good I feel like. But besides that, ST has been terrible.

23 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I'd almost bet that we are so mid tier there because Stefanski goes for it so often on 4th Down. So, our offensive efficiency improves and our ST ineptitude isn't held against us.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Bojorquez has been a good get at punter and our punt coverage has been good I feel like. But besides that, ST has been terrible.

We did get a punt blocked though iirc.  At least partially.

But yeah, CB has been solid and Cade has had his moments, but they sure don’t seem well coached.  They trot out a couple dudes with leg cannons and hope for the best.