Browns General Discussion

candyman93

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think that game against Pittsburgh maybe isn’t a great reflection of anything.  Like, they clearly wanted to get Watson some throws and there’s no point in risking injury to Chubb tbh.

People are constantly freaking out that we may pass the ball despite Stefanski consistently having a solid ground game.

Yeah. I get as fans we really wanted to beat Pittsburgh at the end of the season and eliminate them from playoff contention. But the last stretch of the season was all about getting Watson acclimated. And like you said, no reason to risk an injury to Chubb.

I'm sure we will become more pass heavy, but overall I think we'll still be pretty balanced when it comes to the run and the pass. We just need to use Watson under center more, because the running game simply isn't that good when Watson is in shotgun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think that game against Pittsburgh maybe isn’t a great reflection of anything.  Like, they clearly wanted to get Watson some throws and there’s no point in risking injury to Chubb tbh.

People are constantly freaking out that we may pass the ball despite Stefanski consistently having a solid ground game.

You act like I have no right to make a reasonably cynical post based off of a 30 year body of work proving me right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

another pass rusher hits the market 

Gross. Just hope he pushes some of my guys into a cheaper bracket. He is a scumbag & not very good. He is wildly inconsistent and borderline unplayable on running downs. If he’s not open to restructuring with the Chiefs, it tells me he has an inflated sense of self-worth and is gonna demand more $ than he’s worth. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Gross. Just hope he pushes some of my guys into a cheaper bracket. He is a scumbag & not very good. He is wildly inconsistent and borderline unplayable on running downs. If he’s not open to restructuring with the Chiefs, it tells me he has an inflated sense of self-worth and is gonna demand more $ than he’s worth. 

Yeah I’m cool on his ***.

Watson meets our quota of ****bags, leave the rest alone.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah we don’t need 2 of those. 

14 hours ago, candyman93 said:

If we sign Bates we can play Nickel 95% of the time and just have 2 starting linebackers. Which honestly isn’t a bad idea considering those guys dropped like flies last year.

With the wide d-line set Schwartz plays, the secondary would really need to be stepping up and filling a lot of gaps much of the time if we played predominately 2 linebacker sets

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think that game against Pittsburgh maybe isn’t a great reflection of anything.  Like, they clearly wanted to get Watson some throws

Why?

When the season starts it will be 8 months since Watson played in an NFL game. It will take several weeks for him to get acclimated.

31 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I wonder why they even played him at all then?  Shoulda just waited till next year.

Texans was a warm up and if they could beat the Bengals there was a decent chance to win out and make the playoffs.

I was just pointing out that if we keep the expectations low for long enough it will always look like a good football decision because once he gets back into his groove...

He has to be a star from day one this season. Otherwise, it's gonna get ugly for the front office/coaching. Ownership won't accept another throw away season.

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Texans was a warm up and if they could beat the Bengals there was a decent chance to win out and make the playoffs.

I was just pointing out that if we keep the expectations low for long enough it will always look like a good football decision because once he gets back into his groove...

He has to be a star from day one this season. Otherwise, it's gonna get ugly for the front office/coaching. Ownership won't accept another throw away season.

First off, to the last part, yes, completely agree.  I think that’s why we saw some of the things we did.  Or at least I hope that’s why lol.  

I know you didn’t watch the games, but there was an almost immediate shift to our offense with Watson in regards to play calling/scheme. As soon as Watson stepped on the field we’re running a lot more shotgun, running the ball out of shotgun, etc.  Stefanski’s TE heavy, marry the run and pass offense was hardly used.  Maybe they tried to accommodate Watson and his schematic preferences, maybe they just wanted to see what he could do, maybe that’s what he’s wanted to run all along but didn’t think he had the dude to do it, idk, but it was a jarring change to see and it failed miserably.

Idk what the answer is, I’d take my chances with a lot of the run heavy stuff and moving the pocket, boots, play actions, etc on early downs and if you want to get into the gun and spread things out on passing downs, cool.  Stefanski has shown he can make that work with lesser quarterbacks and he doesn’t have the luxury of patience for another season, nor should he with an established effective QB in his prime tbh.