Browns General Discussion

candyman93

Just checking in to see if Anthony Schwartz made the trip to Philly or if he was "dropped" off the flight list.

Personally - I am deep sixing his underachieving back side and giving his touches to Austin Watkins and never looking back or second guessing that choice for any speck of a nanosecond. Way way way more production out of the UDFA.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I bet we start seeing a trend of bigger WRs. The smaller athletic guys are becoming a dime a dozen.

Yep. Which is why I don’t see what’s so special about Schwartz. There’s tons of track star WRs out there. They rarely ever make it. Every year we see those guys drafted. Nothing special. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Yep. Which is why I don’t see what’s so special about Schwartz. There’s tons of track star WRs out there. They rarely ever make it. Every year we see those guys drafted. Nothing special. 

I’m just assuming Goodwin is out for a long time and Watkins fills his spot-

Cooper - 6’1 210

DPJ - 6’2 210

EMoore -5’10 180 (our only small guy right now)

Tillman - 6’3 215

Bell - 6’1 210

Watkins - 6’3 210

This isn’t a coincidence.

13 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

The weird part about Schwartz is that the only reason he is in the NFL is because speed, right? But Ive watched him in games and he doesnt even look that fast to overdraft him by 3 rounds. I feel like hes fast in a straight line, but hes never just blowing by people in a straight line. Its almost like he has poor agility or ability to turn that speed into some wiggle.

So if we arnt just sending him on streaks or deep post routes from the slot, what is he doing.

From MKC article on today's practice: 

"It’s not the defense, but it might be time to write Jakeem Grant in pen as the returner. He’s taking the first reps in the return game and over the last two practices hasn’t hesitated to take two or three in a row. All signs are pointing to him being the guy."

Called it! He's taking that WR6 spot.

So it's going to be: Cooper, Moore, DPJ, Tillman, Bell and Grant. Until Goodwin comes back and then who the hell knows whose getting the axe. Maybe Bell unless he really shows something in the next 2 preseason games.

Edited by AkronsWitness

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

The weird part about Schwartz is that the only reason he is in the NFL is because speed, right? But Ive watched him in games and he doesnt even look that fast to overdraft him by 3 rounds. I feel like hes fast in a straight line, but hes never just blowing by people in a straight line. Its almost like he has poor agility or ability to turn that speed into some wiggle.

So if we arnt just sending him on streaks or deep post routes from the slot, what is he doing.

Yeah I’m with you on this one. 

I realize he’s obviously absurdly fast in shorts and such, but I’ve never seen that next gear on a football field.

Not saying he doesn’t have it, but I’ve never really seen it.

• Like 1

From MKC article on today's practice: 

"It’s not the defense, but it might be time to write Jakeem Grant in pen as the returner. He’s taking the first reps in the return game and over the last two practices hasn’t hesitated to take two or three in a row. All signs are pointing to him being the guy."

Called it! He's taking that WR6 spot.

So it's going to be: Cooper, Moore, DPJ, Tillman, Bell and Grant. Until Goodwin comes back and then who the hell knows whose getting the axe. Maybe Bell unless he really shows something in the next 2 preseason games.

That’s good news.

I was really skeptical due to age and the injury he had last year, but if he’s back to his former self that’s gonna be huge. He’s an elite returner with gadget ability on offense.

The weird part about Schwartz is that the only reason he is in the NFL is because speed, right? But I've watched him in games and he doesn't even look that fast to overdraft him by 3 rounds. I feel like he's fast in a straight line, but he's never just blowing by people in a straight line. Its almost like he has poor agility or ability to turn that speed into some wiggle.

I think when Tyreek Hill came into the league everyone started looking for that track star WR that once the ball is in his hands just runs away from everyone the NFL is a copycat league, the problem with that is most guys like Schwartz who are known for being fast just kinda get thrown into football for that reason early whether it be pop warner or high school and they are so much more athletically dominant than the others that they never have to develop the basic skills of a WR, its just run fast here and catch the ball.  Then teams draft these guys and have no choice but to try and fit the square peg in the round hole and it fails. Guys like Tyreek Hiil and Jaylen Waddle are unicorns

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Browns fans are so emotionally desperate for a Josh Cribbs that they ignore how insane it is to have a 30 year old with Achilles damage returning kicks.

I mean, if he’s been cleared medically and is playing well what exactly are we missing?

I wasn’t holding my breath that it would happen, but it seems like that’s about where we’re at.

I’m not all that bent up about that position, regardless. Just don’t fumble, wave your hand up or watch it sail through the end zone. That’s the goal like 70% of the time since the KO was moved up. A pretty good return man may effect what like 3 more returns then the average one, over the course of a season? The Devin Hesters are a once a decade game changer. Beyond that just don’t muck things up. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Browns fans are so emotionally desperate for a Josh Cribbs that they ignore how insane it is to have a 30 year old with Achilles damage returning kicks.

It’s worth a shot. I’m not expecting cribbs but I’m sick of watching guys get stuffed the second the catch the kick or drop it 

Edited by sdrawkcab321

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’m not all that bent up about that position, regardless. Just don’t fumble, wave your hand up or watch it sail through the end zone. That’s the goal like 70% of the time since the KO was moved up. A pretty good return man may effect what like 3 more returns then the average one, over the course of a season? The Devin Hesters are a once a decade game changer. Beyond that just don’t muck things up. 

I think the value is more on punt returns than kick returns. 

I see no reason to take a kick out of the end zone at this point tbh.