Browns General Discussion

candyman93

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He’s not good enough at timing to be successful with RPO.

Lamar runs QB power.

Hurts runs QB power.

If you get a guy like Watson, you use him for what he is, a good athlete. Otherwise they should never have gotten him.

This is weird. You are defending Watson against getting hurt. 

I agree with you. Run the system that provides results. Then run it more. He needs to slide and get down when the game isn’t on the line but KS isn’t telling him to get tough yards. He is saying the same thing. 

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Lamar runs QB power.

Hurts runs QB power.

If you get a guy like Watson, you use him for what he is, a good athlete. Otherwise they should never have gotten him.

Yeah I have no issue with it. Especially to keep defenses honest. Watson just needs to learn when to give up on the play and not take unnecessary hits.

4 minutes ago, JDD said:

This is weird. You are defending Watson against getting hurt. 

I agree with you. Run the system that provides results. Then run it more. He needs to slide and get down when the game isn’t on the line but KS isn’t telling him to get tough yards. He is saying the same thing. 

I’m not defending him necessarily but more or less saying I don’t care if he does, and if he doesn’t run he has a lot less value.

If he’s not smart enough to know when to go all out for a first down or TD vs slide then that’s on him and not the coach.

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Lamar runs QB power.

Hurts runs QB power.

There’s a difference between running out of the pocket to get out of a sack or to get a wide open first down and running directly into defenders like you’re a rb. It’s not a smart move. Running QBs get hurt. We don’t want that to happen. 

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

There’s a difference between running out of the pocket to get out of a sack or to get a wide open first down and running directly into defenders like you’re a rb. It’s not a smart move. Running QBs get hurt. We don’t want that to happen. 

1. That’s a quarterback decision not a coach decision 

2. The Ravens and Eagles use power read all the time 

3. I don’t care if Watson gets hurt 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Lamar runs QB power.

Hurts runs QB power.

He is a better passer than both those guys. 

Whatever he is you can't run him into safeties and linebackers.

Hurts doesn't run into traffic like him and Lamar can get out of trouble. 

I’ve mentioned this before, but you’re seeing it around the sport.

Teams are using 4-3 fronts with massive defensive linemen. They’re relying heavily on the 4 d-linemen to stop the run. It allows the linebackers to not get roughed up and defend the pass more.

It really works because the talent at o-line as a whole has been in decline.

The most famous examples are the 2000 Ravens defense or Pats defenses of early 2000’s.

Edited by candyman93

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

The most famous examples are the 2000 Ravens defense or Pats defenses of early 2000’s.

Both of those teams employed a 3-4 and had giant run stuffing linebackers. Linebackers are incredibly important for run fits. Obviously the better the DL, the better off they’ll be. The teams with the best run defenses still value their linebackers and play 3 of them regularly. 

8 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Both of those teams employed a 3-4 and had giant run stuffing linebackers. Linebackers are incredibly important for run fits. Obviously the better the DL, the better off they’ll be. The teams with the best run defenses still value their linebackers and play 3 of them regularly. 

Just looked it up.

Marvin Lewis ran a 4-3 defense for that 2000 ravens defense. 

Hoody ran a 4-3 during that 2001 run.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Just looked it up.

Marvin Lewis ran a 4-3 defense for that 2000 ravens defense. 

Hoody ran a 4-3 during that 2001 run.

…rly? All I remember was Tony Siroguso playing NT. And I distinctly remember the Patriots being a 3-4. Seymour, Ty Warren as the 5-techs, Bruschi at MIKE, Roosevelt Colvin, Vrabel, & McGinest as the rush LBs.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I would be shocked to find out I am, especially relating to the Pats. 

Edited by BetterCallSaul

4 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

…rly? All I remember was Tony Siroguso playing NT. And I distinctly remember the Patriots being a 3-4. Seymour, Ty Warren as the 5-techs, Bruschi at MIKE, Roosevelt Colvin, Vrabel, & McGinest as the rush LBs.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I would be shocked to find out I am, especially relating to the Pats. 

That 2000 Ravens squad did have Goose, but they also had Sam Adams right next to him. There ends were Michael Mccrary and Rob Burnett.

The 2001 Pats had Bobby Hamilton and Anthony Pleasant at DE. Richard Seymour was a DT his rookie year. Brandon Mitchell was next to him.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The 2001 Pats had Bobby Hamilton and Anthony Pleasant at DE. Richard Seymour was a DT his rookie year. Brandon Mitchell was next to him.

Hmmmm when I looked it up just now, it listed them as having two starting MLB’s: Ted Johnson & Teddy Bruschi. OLB’s McGinest & Vrabel.

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I’ve mentioned this before, but you’re seeing it around the sport.

Teams are using 4-3 fronts with massive defensive linemen. They’re relying heavily on the 4 d-linemen to stop the run. It allows the linebackers to not get roughed up and defend the pass more.

It really works because the talent at o-line as a whole has been in decline.

I think you should just run whatever fits the talent on your team. The ravens switched between a 4-3 and 3-4 Rays entire career. He had other IBL next to him like ed hartwell and bart Scott