Browns General Discussion

candyman93

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Once bye weeks stop then Thursday games need to stop as well imo.  

Besides the absurdity from a player health perspective, it’s absolutely a competitive balance issue imo.  

I guess the upside is we get a couple extra days to prep for Cincy in what may be an enormous game.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/upshot/cleveland-browns-nfl-playoff-picture.html

Worth some clicking around. If we beat either Houston or NYJ, it’s about a 95% chance of playoffs. If we win both, it’s a lock basically, and if our seed is set, that sounds like a great opportunity to bench basically everyone and use it as a bye.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/upshot/cleveland-browns-nfl-playoff-picture.html

Worth some clocking around. If we beat either Houston or NYJ, it’s about a 95% chance of playoffs. If we win both, it’s a lock basically, and if our seed is set, that sounds like a great opportunity to bench basically everyone and use it as a bye.

Strategically it would almost be beneficial to sit guys on Sunday in preparation of the home game against the Jets on Thursday.  

They won’t and shouldn’t do it, but that’s when the rest would likely be most beneficial.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Strategically it would almost be beneficial to sit guys on Sunday in preparation of the home game against the Jets on Thursday.  

They won’t and shouldn’t do it, but that’s when the rest would likely be most beneficial.

Probably so but with Houston in the thick of the race it does impact things. I would personally argue that if they win Sunday it actually makes the most sense to strategically sit guy’s Thursday night vs the Jets, but that’s also a home game.

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Probably so but with Houston in the thick of the race it does impact things. I would personally argue that if they win Sunday it actually makes the most sense to strategically sit guy’s Thursday night vs the Jets, but that’s also a home game.

If we win on Sunday I think that has to be on the table depending on how the other games play out.  And maybe (definitely) not all of our key guys, but maybe guys like Myles, Bitonio (if he’s back), Cooper, etc who’ve been dealing with lingering issues.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Its a bit of crazy talk, but the Ravens play the 49ers/Dolphins their next two games. The Browns play the Texans/Jets. If the Ravens fall to both of those teams the Browns win two very winnable games (especially if Stroud is out), we are still playing for the division

Baltimore is going through the hardest part of their schedule that the Browns went through week 1-5, anything can happen so IDK about resting guys until the division is officially out of reach

Edited by AkronsWitness

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its a bit of crazy talk, but the Ravens play the 49ers/Dolphins their next two games. The Browns play the Texans/Jets. If the Ravens fall to both of those teams the Browns win two very winnable games (especially if Stroud is out), we are still playing for the division

Baltimore is going through the hardest part of their schedule that the Browns went through week 1-5, anything can happen so IDK about resting guys until the division is officially out of reach

They definitely won’t nor should they. But if Baltimore wins Sunday then it should be under consideration if the Browns beat Houston. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

They definitely won’t nor should they. But if Baltimore wins Sunday then it should be under consideration if the Browns beat Houston. 

I don’t think there’s a way we lock up a spot this week though which is unfortunate.

We can more or less do so, but not officially and there’s no way they can sit guys without that spot locked up.

• Like 1

I hate to say it. I don’t hate the Thursday game if we lock up the 5th playoff spot after a W. Then they get extra rest and can have rest vs Cinci 

The problem is, I think you need to really practice or stay in sync since I could see the extra time off hurting this offense with the minimal reps Flacco has had in game situations with this team. 

6 minutes ago, JDD said:

I hate to say it. I don’t hate the Thursday game if we lock up the 5th playoff spot after a W. Then they get extra rest and can have rest vs Cinci 

The problem is, I think you need to really practice or stay in sync since I could see the extra time off hurting this offense with the minimal reps Flacco has had in game situations with this team. 

They can keep practicing hard and getting reps while avoiding the contact and letting guys get right.  

I know there’s always a debate about keeping the pedal mashed to the floor vs rest late in the year but with our bye being week 5 and these guys having played 3 months straight combined with the injuries I think it’s an easy decision personally.

21 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They can keep practicing hard and getting reps while avoiding the contact and letting guys get right.  

I know there’s always a debate about keeping the pedal mashed to the floor vs rest late in the year but with our bye being week 5 and these guys having played 3 months straight combined with the injuries I think it’s an easy decision personally.

I get it, it would be great to have off Friday 12/29-1/8 for most starters  

With the way injuries have been happening at practice and during walk through who knows what is the right move. 

I do know this team has played better than anyone could expect with these injuries and the schedule. One of the hardest SOS and SOV in the NFL. It’s not like we play in the NFCS and no one is above .500

• Like 1