Browns General Discussion

candyman93

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

9/32 is the definition of beta. So yes.

Technically he is 10th by 5 days (McCarthy) but whatever.

There are rumblings that Tomlin may be gone after this year, McCarthy may be replaced by someone the Jones' like (Belichick) and even rumblings Reid may call it quits.

So he could be top 7. There are currently only 3 head coaches with more than 7 years on the job. Only 6 with more than 5 years.

27 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Technically he is 10th by 5 days (McCarthy) but whatever.

There are rumblings that Tomlin may be gone after this year, McCarthy may be replaced by someone the Jones' like (Belichick) and even rumblings Reid may call it quits.

So he could be top 7. There are currently only 3 head coaches with more than 7 years on the job. Only 6 with more than 5 years.

Excuses are more beta than being 9th.

33 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Excuses are more beta than being 9th.

Oh, I'm definitely a beta.

I'll step up when the alphas fail to do so but that's just because I'm good under pressure.

Otherwise they can have the bravado and limelight, I'll pass.

• Like 1

The dominoes are beginning to fall. As expected, Bill Belichick and the Patriots have parted company. What I did not expect so quickly was that Jerod Mayo is named as his replacement.

That also means that for Patriot All Pro LB Mike Vrabel will not be heading back to New England. This is who I thought the Patriots would land on.

I would not be surprised if due to our defense's success in 2023, another NFL team throws enough cash at Jim Schwartz that he leaves us for that opportunity. If that happens, I would be blowing up Mike Vrabel's phone with an offer.

Granted, we will be far from the only team making him an offer. And there also is the distinct possibility that he is long gone before we need a replacement DC. But, if the stars align properly - here is why I think Coach Vrabel would be a perfect fit on the North Coast.

• We are no longer a extremely young team. We have very skilled, younger players - but our core players are now a "young veteran" team with a bunch of players on the cusp of superstardom. Right in Vrabel's wheelhouse.
  • If he comes here as the new DC - all he has to worry about is coaching defense. All the other issues that goes with being the top dog are Stefanski's deal.
  • Listening to Mike's pressers, it is clear has one vision for the game - WINNING. Same with Stefanski. He wants his charges to "engage in the fight" to get it done. Anything else? No bueno.
  • Stefanski, for all his success, is still a younger coach. Bringing Mike on board is a significant resource to tap into when things go awry. Vrabel has had success as a player, coach and head coach in high school at Walsh Jesuit, in college at Ohio State, and in the NFL at Tennessee. If Stefanski is all about winning and who cares who gets the credit - Mike would be a fantastic hire.
  • Lastly, I think Mike would be a great coach wherever he lands. But I think he is much better suited for the NFL game than the college game. The is alot of BS that goes with up and coming stars at the college level who think theirs doesn't stink. In the NFL, it is "Did you get the job done? Don't care why - did you get it done?" That's where I see Mike being happiest

I think Jim stays. He wants to be a head coach and if he has a top 10 defense two years in a row that gives him a shot. 

It's weird Bill B isn't getting interviews quickly. Or it doesn't seem like much interest.

Schwartz is going nowhere. Pretty much every HC hire for the foreseeable future is gonna be a young guy on D or the top OC’s. Schwartz is a veteran DC with a failed track record as a HC. I don’t think any team wants him. Ron Rivera is the poster child for  why you don’t hire veteran NFL DC’s on a young budding franchise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Schwartz is going nowhere. Pretty much every HC hire for the foreseeable future is gonna be a young guy on D or the top OC’s. Schwartz is a veteran DC with a failed track record as a HC. I don’t think any team wants him. Ron Rivera is the poster child for  why you don’t hire veteran NFL DC’s on a young budding franchise. 

Eh, I think too much emphasis is put on whether they are defensive or offensive.

The big thing I think is, you are hiring a great offensive coordinator to be your head coach because that is the only way to get a great offensive coordinator.

If you had a veteran QB and an offense that can run itself but are struggling on defense then I could see doing the opposite. Hire a Schwartz to be HC and your defensive coordinator. Then go with whoever will work well with your QB.

So HC is now about being a coordinator. If you don't want to keep replacing the offensive coordinator hire an offensive coach and vice/versa.

So, I think it's still situational and as far as the actual head coach duties I don't think it really matters. If you are good with personnel/motivation and not a total idiot you can be a HC. However if you are successful you will have to replace coordinators and that's where we are and why we hire who we hire.

Or not. I dunno.

5 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Only way to KEEP your OC. 

If you had a Mahomes or Tom Brady or really any vet that are entrenched as a great starting QB I don't think you need a great offensive coordinator, just a play caller. Even then, many of the great QBs have called their own games.

Now that doesn't fit every situation so I'm not saying it shouldn't be that 3/4 of the head coaches are o0ffensive minded just that there should be a market for defensive coaches.

28 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

mmmmaaaaayyyyybbbbeeee.

no.

coaching matters  

Yeah, you'd have an offensive coordinator. You'd also have a good offense. You may not have a great offensive coordinator but you already have an offensive philosophy.

Roethlisberger had Tomlin. Brady had Belichick. Wilson had Carroll. 10 of the past 20 SB winning coaches were defensive. The last 4 have been offensive.