Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

A lot of people eventually going to get steamrolled because of a sell your soul for the devil failed trade. I don’t really know what the offensive staff could have done this year with the cards they were dealt, but this is just the first wave. The second wave is next year when it’s obvious Watson is broken and Stefanski and Berry are fired. 

I don’t know how much this was a reaction to results vs just an evaluation of what’s being provided scheme wise and what they need to be transitioning to next year. 

Our run game was vanilla and ineffective. Results as the season wore on when we couldn’t just rely on having more talent than the opponent were terrible. 

As far as Watson, the disconnect between what he likes and what we were doing has been evident for 2 years to most of us.  

Like it or not, their success is tied to his and it’s in everyone’s best interest to put him in a position to succeed. 

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

If he plays like we have seen so far, we won’t make the playoffs next season. Hope he does better obviously, because if he plays like the guy the FO thought we were getting then this should be a Super Bowl contender. 

He was 5-1 as a starter this season lol (ok, 4-1).

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He was 5-1 as a starter this season lol (ok, 4-1).

There was one game where he looked really good to me. Most of the games he looked just OK and one or two games where he looked awful. A full season, if he can stay healthy enough, there should be plenty of evidence to judge him by next year. They are obviously going to ride or die with the guy they invested so much in.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t know how much this was a reaction to results vs just an evaluation of what’s being provided scheme wise and what they need to be transitioning to next year. 

Our run game was vanilla and ineffective. Results as the season wore on when we couldn’t just rely on having more talent than the opponent were terrible. 

As far as Watson, the disconnect between what he likes and what we were doing has been evident for 2 years to most of us.  

Like it or not, their success is tied to his and it’s in everyone’s best interest to put him in a position to succeed. 

I get it, but I simply don’t think either one of those running backs was good and obviously we had a complete patchwork offensive line for whomever to run behind. Joe Flacco at quarterback, a bunch of back up offensive linemen, and back up running backs. I’m just not sure what we could have accomplished on that side of the ball, even if you had wizards on the staff.

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I get it, but I simply don’t think either one of those running backs was good and obviously we had a complete patchwork offensive line for whomever to run behind. Joe Flacco at quarterback, a bunch of back up offensive linemen, and back up running backs. I’m just not sure what we could have accomplished on that side of the ball, even if you had wizards on the staff.

I mean, patchwork tackles.  The C and Gs were mostly pro bowlers/all pros. A game or two missed here and there sure, but more or less they played.  I wouldn’t have expected elite run game production but just watching the schemes it was a bunch of vanilla and slow developing plays, heavy formations, etc. 

That stuff doesn’t really carry over to next season and i didn’t see anything terribly creative.  Not saying they were bad or whatever, but nothing makes me think they’re irreplaceable.

He ain’t wrong…

And like, AVP is 53, Mitchell is 64, Callahan is 67… Experience is a good thing, don’t get me wrong, but you need to balance that perhaps with some new, fresh perspectives.

There’s often a fine line between well established and stale, maybe they think we’re approaching the latter?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

If he plays like we have seen so far, we won’t make the playoffs next season. Hope he does better obviously, because if he plays like the guy the FO thought we were getting then this should be a Super Bowl contender. 

If he plays like we've seen this far, we have a shot at squeaking into the wild card, but little shot of the substantial improvement we need to advance in the playoffs/contend for SB.

1 hour ago, hornbybrown said:

I’m little surprised not to see our WR coach as part of the cuts.

Why?  Even when we couldn’t run the ball there were dudes getting open.  Njoku and Cooper both had career years.  O’Shea is the one coach who’s actually interviewed for coordinator positions with other teams.

I find this whole conversation hilarious. 

I'm not going to go down that path though, even though it is so tempting.

As far as Watson, Bill O'Brien had him playing good ball. He will probably be moving on from NE so... our next OC? 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why?  Even when we couldn’t run the ball there were dudes getting open.  Njoku and Cooper both had career years.  O’Shea is the one coach who’s actually interviewed for coordinator positions with other teams.

Because our WR’s under him don’t have a history of getting better. Who has he coached up and improved? 

1 hour ago, hornbybrown said:

Because our WR’s under him don’t have a history of getting better. Who has he coached up and improved? 

What are you using as a basis for improvement? Stats?  

We started 5 different QBs this season. 6 over the last 2 years. 8 over the last 3.  Who were they building continuity with exactly?

Also, what’s he had to work with?  He turned a 6th rounder in DPJ into a viable player.  Some 3rd rounders?  It’s not as it he was given some real gems to work with. Amari had his best season with him despite 5 QBs and time missed.