Browns General Discussion

candyman93

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

There is no mathematical way to determine the award but we can see who outperformed the most before accounting for the variables.

Ravens went 4.5 wins over projected, that's tops. 

Texans went 3.5 over.

Browns/Cowboys/Buccaneers/Lions/Rams/Colts were all 2.5 over win projection.

Since this is a regular season award I think the Browns should take it from the last group. Other teams had injury issues too, but the Browns had to reach into more bags whether injury related or just bad roster management at the QB position, just to field a decent player. 

So Harbaugh/Ryans/Stefanski would probably be my top 3. 

I personally think doing what the Texans did with a rookie QB and an often injured WR room is more impressive than a pretty healthy Raven team who was great defensively and good enough on offense. 

That leaves us with Stefanski and Ryans. It's really just what you value more. Browns losing "star" players like Chubb/Watson/Conklin... Or the Texans who didn't lose any stars but didn't really have any star players to lose. Dell was certainly becoming one before he was injured. 

Even with the injuries the Browns had the better roster minus QB. 

I dunno, I wouldn't have an issue either way. 

I wasn't adamant that any of our guys should have won an award outside of Flacco. 

Also none of this changes that we lost our last game of the year poorly.

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

I wasn't adamant that any of our guys should have won an award outside of Flacco. 

Also none of this changes that we lost our last game of the year poorly.

It doesn't, but it was a good season. Not great, not what we want, but respectable.

There wasn't an obvious MVP (voting looks like it but...)
There wasn't an obvious DPOY (Not even Garrett's best season)
There wasn't an obvious CPOY (Flacco was fun, but nothing crazy as far as what he did)
McCaffrey was pretty obvious for OPOY although Lamb and Hill were at least close.
Hard to argue with Schwartz as assistant coach of the year.
Stroud earned the rookie award although Puka would have been a great winner in any random year.

• Like 1

How was this not a great year?

This team didn’t fold like most teams. Not one team in the championship games had a Backup QB playing. 

This was the 2nd best season we have had since coming back. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JDD said:

How was this not a great year?

This team didn’t fold like most teams. Not one team in the championship games had a Backup QB playing. 

This was the 2nd best season we have had since coming back. 

If this was 10 years ago it would have been great. If going into last season would anyone agree that being a wildcard team that lost in the first round be a great result?

We just have higher expectations because of the talent.

It was greatly difficult. Mostly because of the QB position and the loss of Chubb. There were great moments. Great wins. Overall result was just good imo.

I'm not sure even beating the Texans in the playoffs would have made it great. I think we need at least an AFCCG and with the clock ticking maybe even a trip to the SB. We're going to start having to make sacrifices with payroll, not be able to resign some people we would like and not being able to make real free agent splashes with the QB counting for 63 million for the next few years.

Bottom line this team is going to go as far as the health/predator take them. We had a crazy amount of injury last season. Next season, if we can at least have average health for an NFL team and get solid quarterback play, sky is the limit. The leshaun thing is just such an unknown part in this. 

9 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

If this was 10 years ago it would have been great. If going into last season would anyone agree that being a wildcard team that lost in the first round be a great result?

We just have higher expectations because of the talent.

It was greatly difficult. Mostly because of the QB position and the loss of Chubb. There were great moments. Great wins. Overall result was just good imo.

I'm not sure even beating the Texans in the playoffs would have made it great. I think we need at least an AFCCG and with the clock ticking maybe even a trip to the SB. We're going to start having to make sacrifices with payroll, not be able to resign some people we would like and not being able to make real free agent splashes with the QB counting for 63 million for the next few years.

I mean, considering we had two disappointing seasons after making the playoffs in 2020, then yeah I'd say most of us would have been content with that even if we were largely healthy. Not saying we would have been ecstatic, but content. The fact that we won 11 games with the injuries we had is a tremendous success. Sure, getting our butts kicked in the WC round of the playoffs leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but it still doesn't change the fact that we had a very good season.