This years champion

Pastor Dillon

How will you view This years champion?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How will you personally view this years champion?

• 100% NBA Champion
    • A major * forever, not legit.

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

How will you view this years champion?

I'm glad you posted the before the season resumes. Each year is a little different and each playoff is a little different than in other years
Whoever wins this year will be the team that navigated the challenges the best and in my opinion, that makes them a Champion and no less deserving than in other years. Its certainly a different path , but its not an easier path or less of an accomplishment.

• Like 1

I mean, it entirely depends on the circumstances. There'll be an * by it no matter what in terms of "yo 2020 was that wild year where they had to do the whole playoffs in an empty gym in Orlando" but people will still respect the champion if it goes smoothly, because everyone had to deal with the same circumstances. 

Now if all of a sudden important players like LeBron, Giannis, Kawhi, etc get COVID and have to sit out and then their team loses there'll forever be a big *, no way around it. 

17 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

I mean, it entirely depends on the circumstances. There'll be an * by it no matter what in terms of "yo 2020 was that wild year where they had to do the whole playoffs in an empty gym in Orlando" but people will still respect the champion if it goes smoothly, because everyone had to deal with the same circumstances. 

Now if all of a sudden important players like LeBron, Giannis, Kawhi, etc get COVID and have to sit out and then their team loses there'll forever be a big *, no way around it. 

So does the raptors championship have an * because of the Durant and Thompson injuries?

3 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So does the raptors championship have an * because of the Durant and Thompson injuries?

I think it's slightly different: pandemic illness vs. injury. However, I agree for the most part. I don't think there should be an asterisk if someone gets sick just like no asterisk for injuries.

This year will be looked at similarly to the lockout shortened seasons. People will go in with the mindset of asterisk or no asterisk and probably won't budge either way.

4 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

No. Injuries can and will happen every year. The 2015 Warriors don't have an * from the Kyrie/Love injuries either. That's basketball. 

An infectious virus that players can pass around to each other and take out whole teams from playing in a manner of hours is not basketball. You can't infect somebody else with a torn ACL.

4 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I think it's slightly different: pandemic illness vs. injury. However, I agree for the most part. I don't think there should be an asterisk if someone gets sick just like no asterisk for injuries.

This year will be looked at similarly to the lockout shortened seasons. People will go in with the mindset of asterisk or no asterisk and probably won't budge either way.

I can respect this opinion for sure. I just think it would be hard for me to not see it with an asterisk if important players on contending teams are getting sick, but especially on the top 3. I otherwise wouldn't put an asterisk at all due to everybody dealing with the same circumstances, so I hope that nobody on the contenders gets it. I hope no one gets it at all, but that seems unrealistic to hope for. 

Is there an in between? I mean I will view it differently than a normal NBA championship because of the long lay off and abrupt playoff start, but not like in 20 years I'd look at a player's resume and say " but oh, that 2020 ring doesn't count."

It also depends a lot on what happens, if we're being honest. If a 5 seed goes on some magical run, yeah I'm gonna largely chalk it up to these unique circumstances paving the way. If the Lakers, Clippers or Bucks, the heavy favorites pre-virus, win it then I'll be inclined to think the time off didn't have much of an effect.