Worse Super Bowl MVP QB Performance: Peyton Manning (41) or Patrick Mahomes (54)

Elky

On 7/12/2020 at 3:09 PM, Jakuvious said:
On 7/12/2020 at 11:32 AM, Elky said:

No, if Tyreek Hill doesn't get wide open SF wins that game.

SF was on the verge of winning because Mahomes played bad for three quarters.

On a play that Mahomes himself called, that required an enormous play on his own part, still. Even if we want to talk about how open Hill was, it was still a huge call, pass, and he was under serious pressure. Dude had to drop back like 15 yards to get the time for that pass. Threw a 55ish yard pass just before he got hit. Was a huge play by both Mahomes, and Hill.

The pressure is an important context to that game, as well. Aside from Schwartz, SF was destroying our OL for much of the game. This played a huge part in the numbers he put up. And he still ended with 300+ total yards, 3 TDs, some incredibly clutch plays, a 4th quarter comeback, and a game winning drive. He had a rough 2 drives from the middle of the 3rd quarter to the early part of the 4th quarter. But they were clearly dwarfed by his phenomenal final 9 minutes or so. The first half he wasn't bad, just wasn't great either. 10 points out of 4 drives, tie game at that point. 

yeah claiming the open WR is the difference maker...

Guess what, Mahomes still had to make the throw. We saw on the other side, SF got WRs open and Jimmy G couldnt make the play. 

When it was clutch time, JimmyG couldnt make the big pass, Mahome was able to

• Like 4

On 7/13/2020 at 7:09 AM, Nightime said:

Yep. In the end it doesn’t matter. Colts and Chiefs got rings. Garoppolo and Grossman had more turnovers than touchdowns and lost by 2 scores

tenor.gif?itemid=14520054

See,  I was with you until this crap.  Jesus christ, I'm a Bears fan.....atleast have some remorse. B| 

Sorry, but it still hurts. 

19 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, on the one hand, I guess we have our answer. It's not Mahomes

On the other hand; FFS Elky....

Mahomes performance isn't even in the conversation. 

But, to keep to the point of the OP,  I will say that Peyton did NOT deserve that SB MVP.  Rhodes should have won it.  Peyton only got it by name recognition.  Rhodes was consistent all game and tore our defense apart from the get.  Peyton wasn't. 

On 7/13/2020 at 7:19 AM, ET80 said:

This breakdown completely obliterates this thread. At this point, we need a mercy killing.

You nailed it earlier in this thread when you basically said that his stat line did not match his performance based on the eye test. 

This is why I don't take raw QB statlines serious.  The QB position is the hardest position in the NFL and there are so many other aspects and moving parts involved (most of which are out of thier control) that can largely affect those numbers and Mahomes SB performance is great example of this. 

When watching the SB in real time, I never got the feeling that Mahomes played bad.  That's eye test to me.  But when I saw this thread popup and I actually saw his statline posted I was legit shocked.  I had never checked it.  So I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt and went back watched it again in all-22 and took notes thinking he might be right.  But nope,  the eye test didn't fail me.  

13 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

A 0 yard drive is terrible. Especially in the 4th. /s

I know right. What an awful drive. The Chiefs should've cut him after that horrendous performance but ONLY, and I mean ONLY, under the strict stipulation that he can only sign with Chicago and no other team.  And I don't think there's anything wrong with that either.  Seems fair to me.

In all seriousness though. What's funny about that last play is that Mahomes could've put up 6 more points on the board and padded his stats if he really wanted too. 

Heres the play:  https://[LINK ERROR]/d2fklm

It was 4th and 25 on the Chiefs own 26 yard line with 5 seconds left and they are up by 11. So in order to avoid a miraculous (but still possible) string of events that could cost them the game in such a short time, Ried calls full protection with both Hill and Watkins running 9 routes on the outside and told Mahomes to just throw the ball as high and as deep downfield as he can to run out the rest of the clock without getting penalized for intentional grounding and that's what Mahomes did. He threw it high and deep in the direction of Watkins. 

The funny thing about though is that I don't think they expected either Hill or Watkins to actually ever get open. The 49ers lined up in a single high man coverage look and the safety (understandably) pulled over to help with Hill on the QB's left side while leaving Watkins one-on-one with Sherman to the right. Watkins beat Sherman downfield and had at least two steps on him and Mahomes just tossed it high and out of bounds to avoid a INT return for a TD that could possibly setup a turn of events that talked about earlier. 

If Mahomes wanted to, he could've led Watkins downfield and had another 74 yards and 1TD added to his statline, which would've made it a 93.2 QB rating in the books, which would be a much better representation of his play in the game than his official statline was. 

In fact, I believe what he was trying to do it, based his reaction and how close he was to completing the pass. He threw it high, like he was told to do, while also trying still complete the pass downfield, because he saw Watkins had a step, but you lose more control and velocity on the ball when you throw it so high in the air.  I truly believe Mahomes was saying to himself, "I can still keep the ball in the air long enough to run clock, just in case something happens, but also complete it for a big gain". The ball just sailed on him is all.

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1

I can't imagine anyone watching the Super Bowl this year and coming out saying Mahomes had one of the best performances ever. It was good at best. Still far better than Manning but it wasn't anything remotely special.

• Like 1

Mahomes was great down the stretch so he gets the edge. The 49ers defense when healthy (And they were for the SB), did not let any team/QB light them up. So Mahomes having some struggles is not a big knock or anything. When it came time to make plays and take over, he did just that. 

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

I can't imagine anyone watching the Super Bowl this year and coming out saying Mahomes had one of the best performances ever. It was good at best. Still far better than Manning but it wasn't anything remotely special.

I don't disagree, but I also don't think it's the worst performance from a winning MVP QB in a SB...

Manning was atrocious in his MVP game. Mahomes was serviceable, and had some key moments where he shined.

• Like 1