24 members have voted

1. 1. 1950s vs 2000s

• The Roman Holiday (1)
    • In Bruges (8)
  2. 2. 2010s vs 1960s

• The Other Guys (7)
    • Dr. Strangelove (2)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/15/2020 at 08:00 PM

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think a lot of the seeding played out that way.

Which in theory would be fine, because a lower amount of competition should mean that those that did were really popular nom choices meaning the backing was behind them. However in these two instances, it was more a lack of noms than anything. Comedy saw this much more than any other genre 

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I would call these massive upsets but really Roman Holiday and Dr. Strangelove are psuedo top seeds because they absorbed votes with little competition while the other two flicks had almost 10 other movies each to battle in their polls. 

I think we're going to see some recency bias for pretty much every genre but I think especially in comedy. Comedic styles today are extremely different today than they were 60-70 years ago so I think that's why we're seeing such an overwhelming landslide for the more recent movies.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Which in theory would be fine, because a lower amount of competition should mean that those that did were really popular nom choices meaning the backing was behind them. However in these two instances, it was more a lack of noms than anything. Comedy saw this much more than any other genre 

Yeah.  But there really wasn't any other way to do seeding, and you can argue that if one movie from a decade stands that far above everything else from the decade, it deserves the high seeding.

17 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Nah, it wasn't my generation.  The handful of things that I have seen Jim Carrey in since "In Living Color" haven't been all that interesting to me.  

If that makes me a loser, then that's OK. 

Gotta make you feel better throwing crap like that around for the hell of it.

It’s actually a quote from the movie, didn’t mean no disrespect lol

8 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I would call these massive upsets but really Roman Holiday and Dr. Strangelove are psuedo top seeds because they absorbed votes with little competition while the other two flicks had almost 10 other movies each to battle in their polls. 

Totally agreed with that, just look at the 90s nominations potentially, freaking stacked and the 60s and 50s can barely get two or three nominations at all that are decent.  

1990s

Dumb and Dumber
Tommy Boy  
Kingpin  
Robin Hood Men in Tights  
Office Space  
Happy Gilmore  
The Birdcage
Clerks  
A League of Their Own  
Groundhog Day 
Waynes World
Grumpier Old Men  
Celtic Pride
Cool Runnings 
The Sandlot  
Mighty Ducks  
A Night at the Roxbury  
Grumpy Old Men  

1980s

Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Caddyshack 
This Is Spinal Tap   
Coming To America 
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Diner
Honey I Shrunk the Kids 

1960s

Dr Strangelove
The Producers

At least the 60s has The Producers and Dr Strangelove is honestly a funny film, very funny if you get what they are going after.  But Roman Holiday is a romance, romantic comedy but not a pure comedy.  It is an insult that is the #1 seed and no surprise it lost.  Could argue most of the comedies in the 90s are better than freaking In Burges, how that got in over Step Brothers, Napolean Dynamite, Superbad or Anchorman I have no freaking clue.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Totally agreed with that, just look at the 90s nominations potentially, freaking stacked and the 60s and 50s can barely get two or three nominations at all that are decent.  

1990s

Dumb and Dumber
Tommy Boy  
Kingpin  
Robin Hood Men in Tights  
Office Space  
Happy Gilmore  
The Birdcage
Clerks  
A League of Their Own  
Groundhog Day 
Waynes World
Grumpier Old Men  
Celtic Pride
Cool Runnings 
The Sandlot  
Mighty Ducks  
A Night at the Roxbury  
Grumpy Old Men  

1980s

Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Caddyshack 
This Is Spinal Tap   
Coming To America 
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Diner
Honey I Shrunk the Kids 

1960s

Dr Strangelove
The Producers

At least the 60s has The Producers and Dr Strangelove is honestly a funny film, very funny if you get what they are going after.  But Roman Holiday is a romance, romantic comedy but not a pure comedy.  It is an insult that is the #1 seed and no surprise it lost.  Could argue most of the comedies in the 90s are better than freaking In Burges, how that got in over Step Brothers, Napolean Dynamite, Superbad or Anchorman I have no freaking clue.  

it's a better film....and I like all of those you named. 

1 hour ago, fluhartz said:

it's a better film....and I like all of those you named. 

I highly doubt that one.  I got Hot Fuzz because of the hype it got during this process, and sure it was funny but it is not that damn funny or entertaining and I feel the same potentially for In Bruges.  The plot seems lame and I do not find Colin Farrell to be funny what so ever.  Maybe I will check it out at some point but based on the trailer, actors in it and plot it seems pretty lame and not my vibe for comedy.  I loved Step Brothers, Napoleon, Dynamite, Superbad and Anchorman and no way in hell In Bruges is better than any of those films, maybe to some but no way in hell to me. 

I do not by all IMDb ratings, sure In Bruges and Hot Fuzz for that matter got super high ratings, Tommy Boy did not, call bull**** on that one all day.  

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Could argue most of the comedies in the 90s are better than freaking In Burges, how that got in over Step Brothers, Napolean Dynamite, Superbad or Anchorman I have no freaking

In bruges made me laugh more than those other movies

1 minute ago, Malfatron said:

In bruges made me laugh more than those other movies

That may be, but I am not you.  I am not a huge fan of dark comedies, maybe I will have to check this movie out and see.  But almost zero chance I find it better than any of the other top comedies in the 2000s.  

PS in terms of British themed comedies, Death at a Funeral is a much better movie as well potentially, that is a great film and sure could maybe be considered a dark comedy but at least it is freaking funny.  Great film no question about it.  

I don't think I laughed watching In Bruges more than a handful of times, because it's mostly too dark to laugh at, and not really the same approach to comedy as riotous laugh out loud movies.  Birdman was the same way.  Hard to explain.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

I don't think I laughed watching In Bruges more than a handful of times, because it's mostly too dark to laugh at, and not really the same approach to comedy as riotous laugh out loud movies.  Birdman was the same way.  Hard to explain.

I would assume this is how I would react to the film, did you watch Death at a Funeral 2007?  Not the crap Chris Rock remake.  What did you think of that?  To me that movie was damn entertaining and quite funny, shocked if In Bruges is better than that in terms of a dark comedy.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

I would assume this is how I would react to the film, did you watch Death at a Funeral 2007?  Not the crap Chris Rock remake.  What did you think of that?  To me that movie was damn entertaining and quite funny, shocked if In Bruges is better than that in terms of a dark comedy.  

The Chris Rock remake is gold, you charlatan!

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

just watch in bruges already, and leave your heart open to it.

its on youtube