Games that could work as movies?

KManX89

3 hours ago, Tyty said:

I love assassins creed but there’s no way in hell they could’ve ever made that into a movie that didn’t suck. Which is why I’m wary to post another game I loved: Watchdogs. 

I don't know. I think an AC story could absolutely be made into a good movie. I almost think they'd be best off just omitting the present day, though. You could more easily just make the stories of Altair or Ezio into movies, than properly balance the present day and past stuff. Even the games more often than not did a poor job of that.

I honestly think a large number of games could be made into good movies, though. I think it's just so rare for them to find the right balance in how much to change and how much to just port over. I think there's some games where you could basically just take the same plot and turn it into a movie and you'd be fine (the Naughty Dog games would be good for this; maybe something like Bioshock), but there are others that you're better off just taking the overall concept while trying to remove the things that work better for gameplay than for cinematic plot (the animus in AC is a great excuse for a ton of video games, but muddies up a screenplay; the standard Zelda plot would have plenty of potential if you could navigate the silent protagonist tactfully or make him non-silent without ruining it, etc.) Studios have just basically never found the right balance for the particular IP they're working with, though. AC kept the messiest parts of the plot and passed up the solid stories already told for a new one. Resident Evil embraced the cringiest parts of the franchise. Some have just been bad movies because they're bad movies. But I think so many could be good if done right. It's just easier said than done.

On 8/9/2020 at 1:11 AM, Tyty said:

I love assassins creed but there’s no way in hell they could’ve ever made that into a movie that didn’t suck. Which is why I’m wary to post another game I loved: Watchdogs. 

Yeah there is too much to really condense.
A show, sure. Especially because you wouldn't be beholden to how the games do it. "One time period at a time pls"
You could make a pretty watchable show that's like dark national treasure in the modern day, and historic drama/action mixed in.
You need the time to build reasons to care about the assassin and the modern day protagonist. 

Watchdogs, especially with this new one is set up well to do a movie or a show. It's a basic premise and easy world to get because it's only a couple steps beyond reality.
You could write a noir story and make it a little more like the first one, you could go get Guy Ritchie to do a film set in the london that will be in Legion and it'd fit perfectly. 

5 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

A show, sure. Especially because you wouldn't be beholden to how the games do it. "One time period at a time pls"
You could make a pretty watchable show that's like dark national treasure in the modern day, and historic drama/action mixed in.
You need the time to build reasons to care about the assassin and the modern day protagonist. 

Still wouldn’t work. They’d make some vapid flavorless love interest of the main character that is hot, wants peace and is the daughter of some important political figure that ends up getting assassinated. They’d never make a pure assassins creed story, it would be watered down gitchy gitchy borderline romcom drivel 

• Like 1

There was an indie game called Child of Light that came out like 5 or so years ago.

I think you maybe don't do the dialog as rhymes and you could have a really beautiful kids movie that adults would watch.
Something that kinda goes back to like a Neverending Story type of dark childrens' film, coming of age tale.

It already has a pretty and unique art style. Could do it animated or as a blend.
child_of_light.jpg

and beautifully sad music

3 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Still wouldn’t work. They’d make some vapid flavorless love interest of the main character that is hot, wants peace and is the daughter of some important political figure that ends up getting assassinated. They’d never make a pure assassins creed story, it would be watered down gitchy gitchy borderline romcom drivel 

Yeahhhh, you right you right. Though I kinda figured that would be the case. It would work as a show, just not an Assassin's Creed show a ton of fans would also love.
Would pull in a different audience. Maybe just mitigate the problem a bit and make it a female assassin. They do the same crap with male love interests but they get killed off way more.

Benefit of a show would be it would hopefully not ruin the whole thing? It's probably best untouched unless someone was willing to go all in and make it right.

10 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Watchdogs, especially with this new one is set up well to do a movie or a show. It's a basic premise and easy world to get because it's only a couple steps beyond reality.
You could write a noir story and make it a little more like the first one, you could go get Guy Ritchie to do a film set in the london that will be in Legion and it'd fit perfectly. 

The other thing, too, is it's really hard to transition games' stories from a narrative perspective. One medium is compromised mainly of cutscenes and the other mainly action. Perhaps some games could pull it off without having to condense the story in a small screen role, like the upcoming Resident Evil Netflix series and the Castlevania one, but a two hour film is a whole different ballgame.

Max Payne should've been easy to convert to a decent movie, though. Bullet time, awesome one-liners, comic book-style narrations, and John Woo references in a Punisher-like film noir revenge story? You'd damn near have to TRY to eff that up, but this is Tom Rothman-era Fox we're talking about here, so of course they did.

Trying to make a PG-13 movie based on an ultraviolent M-rated game filled with adult themes and horrific, drug-induced nightmare scenes certainly didn't help, either, which the "unrated" cut didn't do much to fix since John Moore already shot it for the PG-13, anyway (hence why the "nude" Russian chick is still covered up and there's very little, and half-assed, bullet time even in the unrated version since those would obviously require gore effects to do right), constantly tip-toeing around the game's mature content during FILMING to get that rating and the end result was a boring mess with practically no relation to the game. On the other hand, the Retribution fan film was made with an R in mind and it's a night and day difference (save for some issues with pacing, too many long pauses between dialog).

Resident Evil is another one that could maybe, possibly, hopefully? work with the right crew attached, but they'd have to stay true to its horror roots first, which the upcoming reboot is reportedly set out to do this time.

Edited by KManX89

56 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but I would watch a Portal movie. It's a simple enough story that it can easily be done in a movie and you could have some really cool special effects and action to go with the comedy.

I just dont think the premise will resonate with the majority of the movie going audience 

Also I’m not joking, Dead Space would make an epic horror movie.  Practical effects, one person with another guiding him, nothing but mining equipment to defend himself with.  That part in the second one where he goes through the nursery and those baby monsters attacked is still a top 10 scariest moment in any media format of my life.  I remember I couldn’t even finish it alone until I turned the lights on.