1998 Minnesota Vikings

Ozzy

The '87 team is the best kind of team, the kind that exceeds expectations.  I think you really enjoy the wins in those situations and the losses don't hurt so much.  The playoff games against New Orleans and San Francisco might be my favorite Vikings games ever.

As far as the '98 team, it started with that draft.  I remember reading the SI article about Randy Moss, I had never heard of him to that point. They talk about this receiver with the size of Herman Moore, speed of Joey Galloway, and the hands of Jerry Rice.  I'm 19 at that point and all about the hype.  When he fell to the VIkings and they actually pulled the trigger, I leapt out of my seat. I was so excited, and then he went on and matched all of the expectations.  It was great.

Edited by Worm Guts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Worm Guts said:

As far as the '98 team, it started with that draft.  I remember reading the SI article about Randy Moss, I had never heard of him to that point. They talk about this receiver with the size of Herman Moore, speed of Joey Galloway, and the hands of Jerry Rice.  I'm 19 at that point and all about the hype.  When he fell to the VIkings and they actually pulled the trigger, I leapt out of my seat. I was so excited, and then he went on and matched all of the expectations.  It was great.

Recommend you listen to this:

The PFF guys used clips from games and the draft with new interviews (including Pete Bercich and Robert Smith) to make an oral history of Moss’ rookie year. 

They have a similar format episode about the Montana-Young QB controversy, which is also good. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cconocool said:

I was thinking about this quote for a while.

Vikings fans and Super Bowl wins are a lot like dogs chasing cars, we wouldn't know to do with one if we got one.

I know exactly what we would do...we'd go to the Packers Forum and say "You have no comebacks left now, suckas"

• Like 2

What if scenario:

The Vikings beat Washington to go to the Super Bowl in 1987 against the Broncos, depriving the NFL of Doug Williams' historical performance.  Jay Schroeder returns to starting QB and leads the Washington franchise to mediocrity, causing Joe Gibbs to retire after the '88 season and frustrating Jack Kent Cooke to sell the team to Donald Trump in 1990.  Good news...Trump hangs onto the team for 30 plus years and Daniel Snyder never comes into the picture.  Bad news...Trump has little to no success.

What if the Vikings go on to defeat the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl.  Jerry Burns then becomes a coaching icon in Minnesota and hangs around for several more seasons.  The Herschel Walker trade is never made, the Vikings continue to compete for championships and the Dallas Cowboys spend another decade in mediocrity.  Dennis Green is never hired in Minnesota, but floats around the league as a respected offensive coordinator.  Tony Dungy is never hired by Minnesota, but eventually becomes the head coach of the Pittsburg Steelers. Brian Billick never gets hired by Minnesota, thus he does not become head coach of the Ravens, and the Ravens don't win their first Super Bowl until much later.  Billick eventually lands a job as Head Coach of the San Diego Chargers and they become the class of the AFC, winning a couple of Super Bowls with Eli Manning at the helm, and they never move to Los Angeles. The Vikings miss out on players like Cris Carter, Robert Smith and Randy Moss.  By the end of the 90's they aren't  competing for championships.  Jerry Burns retires. 

The Vikings hire hotshot coordinator Jon Gruden.  He rebuilds, in short order, the Vikings roster, led by newly drafted QB, Tom Brady out of Michigan.  Gruden also adds to his staff a defensive wunderkind, who had been recently fired by the Browns...Bill Belichick.  The Vikings go onto win 8 out of 10 Super Bowls over the next 19 seasons, giving the rest of the NFL a team to hate. Belichick never goes to the Jets on Parcell's staff nor to NE as a head coach.  Gruden never goes to Oakland, Tampa Bay, ESPN or Vegas.

A lot was riding on Darrin Nelson pulling in that pass in the NFCCG at the goal line!!

Not sure what all this 1987 Vikings talk is about, good team did some good things but they are nothing compared to the 1998 team.

In that Falcon game for the 98 team that was insane the opportunities they had.  Griffith missed that interception in the end zone in regulation that would have ended the game.  Then in overtime the Vikings offense gets not only one but two chances to score and both times had the ball on the Falcons 40 yard line so close to mid field both drives.  And that final offensive drive Cunningham had a pretty bad underthrow to Randy Moss.  Moss had to almost stop his route and come back to the ball and still almost made the catch, that could have ended it in OT.  Then they punt them back deep and the Falcons had to drive a long ways and obviously accomplished that.  Not to mention that final defensive stand for the Vikings Edwards was injured, Houston was in and then he got hurt and they put Edwards back in and he could not run and got beat by Santiago a few times.  And once more John Randle, playing hurt which I am sure absolutely devastated and was out there just as a decoy really.  

Still amazing team and Cunningham in all honestly was a poor QB, slow release, sloppy with the football in the pocket, obviously aged and not prime athletically.  Still they were so good around him yet still did not get it done.  But that was an old team, the year after they had Jeff George as the starter most of the time.  Alexander was gone at DE and they had an old Chris Doleman which was not great but not awful.  Wong was starting at LB which did not turn out great because he lacked athletic ability in coverage, and Fuller was gone at CB which was huge, he was a tough CB and replaced by Kenny Wright who was simply bad.  Then 2000 Birk was at center which was great, Reed gone and Hovan in at DT which helped but Randle was on the decline and Sawyer at the other DE.  Chris Dishman at CB who was good but very old and Robert Tate who was nothing great either.  And the aging safeties in Thomas and Griffith.  With of course Daunte the rookie at QB which had some growing pains.  Then year after that Korey Stringer dies etc.  Overall Corey Fuller leaving was huge and Hitchcock of course as well, Fuller they should have held onto because CB for multiple years after that was awful.  Had Dale Carter who was great but old like Dishman years previous, then the awful Eric Kelly, Brian Williams, Wasswa Serwanga etc.

The NFL repeatedly refused to allow Trump to get into NFL ownership, there's no way they would have allowed him to buy the Washington franchise.  Of course, he probably would have had more foresight to change the team name...but of course, he would have changed them to the Washington Swamp Dogs.