Should the NFL add a 2nd bye week?

DigInBoys

2nd Bye Week  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL add an additional bye week?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Barring the implementation of an 18 game season, absolutely not

Even completely ignoring the fact that this was tried once already in 1993 and failed miserably, do you realize how ridiculously hard it is to come up with a schedule for the entire league?  Everyone in here is acting like it would be so easy to add another bye week for every team without major scheduling repercussions.  The idea sounds nice in theory but will be extremely difficult to execute.   Keep in mind, the following teams cannot ever play at the same time unless they're playing each other:

- 49ers and Raiders

- Giants and Jets (and they cant play at home the same week)

- Rams and Chargers (and they won't be able to play at home the same week once the new stadium is complete and the Chargers move in)

Tell me how the NFL is supposed to add an extra bye week for each team while  complying to the rules above without  creating a ton of unnecessary work or  pissing a lot of  people off.  We have to deal with enough scheduling conflicts as it currently is

49ers and raiders played at the same time yesterday. Raiders are moving out of the bay area, so this should no longer be an issue, but point taken 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

49ers and raiders played at the same time yesterday. Raiders are moving out of the bay area, so this should no longer be an issue, but point taken 

Sorry, I think I meant that they can't play at home at the same time.  And yeah now that the raiders are moving to Vegas, thats one less scheduling conflict to worry about.  Still think unless they add an additional 2 games to the schedule then it's gonna be a lot of extra trouble to fit all of it in, though I suppose it would ultimately be doable

2 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

1.  They have computers that do all the work now.  I imagine once you input parameters (and it'd be easy to input another byeweek) it would be easy.

2.  Even in a worse case scenario, all you have to do is institute a league wide byeweek to extend the season a week and it's easily completed.

I would agree with your second point as being the best way to go about it.  Leaguewide bye week to give every team an extra week of rest seems like a no lose situation for the coaches and players

1 minute ago, footbull3196 said:

Sorry, I think I meant that they can't play at home at the same time.  And yeah now that the raiders are moving to Vegas, thats one less scheduling conflict to worry about.  Still think unless they add an additional 2 games to the schedule then it's gonna be a lot of extra trouble to fit all of it in, though I suppose it would ultimately be doable

I think your concerns about the schedule are overblown.

The NBA, NHL, and MLB all have vastly more complex schedules than the NFL and are able to tinker with them to an unbelievable degree.

They don't sit there and figure out the schedules with a pen and paper.

They use computers and algorithms to spit it out.

2 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

1.  They have computers that do all the work now.  I imagine once you input parameters (and it'd be easy to input another byeweek) it would be easy.

2.  Even in a worse case scenario, all you have to do is institute a league wide byeweek to extend the season a week and it's easily completed.

That's not a bad idea either. Two league-wide bye weeks one after week 6, and one after thanksgiving would be ideal.

Just now, tribar said:

They only play one game a week and off-season is 6 months long (7 if you don't make the playoffs). 

NFL players "only" playing one game per week get more punishment than athletes in other sports do over months. Not really comparable.

I'm kind of surprised at 30% of votes being "no". I don't see much downside to adding a bye week and removing a preseason game. I don't like the idea of league-wide byes, however, and don't see how or why that would be necessary.

I'd like to see them add a second bye week and use them around a Thursday game. That way teams are never coming off a 4 day week. They'd have 1 normal bye, then a "Thursday bye" where they have Sunday game, then 11 days to a Thursday game, followed by 10 days to the next week's game. Instead of having the very brutal 4 day turn around, they get two longer weeks. I think you'll see better health and better competition with having time to prepare like normal, even giving the players a couple extra days off.

They will never never never ever do a league wide bye week.  The TV contracts would never allow for it, and the NFL wouldn't want to lose the spotlight for even one week during the season.  I like the idea of half the league off in consecutive weeks two different times throughout the season.  That leaves 4 weeks in season with 8 games each, then 14 weeks of a full slate of games, AND it lets the bye weeks be on a pretty even split for all the teams.  It also gives a little bit of schedule flexibility if they don't tie the same 16 teams to each bye weeks both times.

17 hours ago, tribar said:

They only play one game a week and off-season is 6 months long (7 if you don't make the playoffs). 

2 questions, how old are you and do you workout?

I can't see anyone over the age of 25 who exercises (vigorously) on a regular basis making such an absurd comment.

Archived