Food Draft - Discussion Thread - Draft Starts Tuesday (8/4)

MKnight82

I mean, let’s follow this argument to it’s logical end through example.

How is butter created?  Oh, by churning liquid dairy?  Oh, well, sorry, @MWil23, you lose your first pick because I took heavy cream and it would deprive me of the great incentive I had of making homemade butter.  So, if you would like to re-pick, we can maybe find you something decent as an alternative.

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's pretty straightforward to see that someone already took Paprika, so no one else can take Cajun seasoning. That's the literal entire point of a draft.

We're trying to make these analogies because apparently explaining it simply didn't register.

We talked about pre-mixed spices way earlier.  It's like ketchup.  I took cumin, specifically, because it's the main spice in my dish, and I didn't want to deal with the low quality/sodium bomb that you'd get in a pre-mix because my dish is going to be spice heavy.  I'm certainly going to assume anyone using a blend is getting a lower quality version, but if it's not a main component of their dish, then it's fine.

7 minutes ago, Counselor said:

We have all the time in the world to cook this meal. He can take the time to separate the elements

If it were an herb blend, maybe.  But a powder where half the ingredients are the same color?  Nah.  He can even say he does it and I would just assume he messed it up.

I'm kind of also assuming that if you're using the time element to do something like separate out ingredients, or cure something, or make homemade butter, I would expect you to be able to say how you did it.

I'm getting yeast out of my flour, but I can explain how to do that with only stuff I have and time, and it's really easy to do.  I would be skeptical of anyone saying they separated out a spice blend.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I'm kind of also assuming that if you're using the time element to do something like separate out ingredients, or cure something, or make homemade butter, I would expect you to be able to say how you did it.

I'm getting yeast out of my flour, but I can explain how to do that with only stuff I have and time, and it's really easy to do.  I would be skeptical of anyone saying they separated out a spice blend.

Just say it!  You think I don’t know how to make butter, I will put my thumb through your god damn eye!

• Like 1