College Football and Covid19 (Cancellations, Postponements etc)

candyman93

4 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Crazy that Michigan’s president seems to be the one holding up a return to football for the Big Ten.

I didn't know that. Thought I saw something on the bottom line on ESPN that said Harbaugh said that kids could play two games a week also lol. Dude is something else. Edit: misread. He said they'd be ready to play in two weeks. 

I really think we'll see a late fall start of B1G football. If these other programs that are playing now can succeed, I think they'll move forward. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

10 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I didn't know that. Thought I saw something on the bottom line on ESPN that said Harbaugh said that kids could play two games a week also lol. Dude is something else.

I really think we'll see a late fall start of B1G football. If these other programs that are playing now can succeed, I think they'll move forward. 

Politics are crazy right now. Dave Biddle is reporting that seven are currently yes, five a no, 2 currently in-between.  Then you have the Michigan president having a standstill and the teams that don’t want to play arguing that they should be a part of the split revenue with the teams that would play if they abstain. Makes sense to me that if you have a few organizations sitting out they should get no part in the revenue. Screw it though, whatever it takes to make this thing happen. I haven’t followed along today other than online, but you have a ESPN Talking Heads saying the Big Ten got it right and so did the SEC and ACC? So apparently it’s safe for other conferences but not for some I guess. Someone is wrong. Not sure who yet, but not everybody can be right and this from peewee football on up.

11 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

If your source is the actual nutjob reporting that from SI, it is definitely not accurate.

If your source is David Biddle, is it is definitely not accurate.

I think it’s being reported all over the place at this point. Even the president had a tweet today saying that Michigan and Maryland at this point are out and you would think he would be in the know on this since they have been in contact with the Big Ten, at the White House. I know not typically the most trustworthy source there but when a number of people are saying UM is holding things up and things aren’t being refuted then you’d think there’s smoke. 

• Like 2

Given the quality of sources reporting that Michigan is the one holding things up, I'm going to pass on believing it when 10 other schools made the same exact decision as Michigan.

Football was on the one yard line, apparently, but that was pretty clearly not true (though I guess they may be on their own one). The presidents were going to vote Friday - also not true. Schlissel had a meeting scheduled with the BoR at Michigan - false again.

A lot of crappy sources reporting things as fact and then being proven wrong, so they pivot to another stance.

Edited by JammerHammer21

5 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Given the quality of sources reporting that Michigan is the one holding things up, I'm going to pass on believing it when 10 other schools made the same exact decision as Michigan.

Football was on the one yard line, apparently, but that was pretty clearly not true (though I guess they may be on their own one). The presidents were going to vote Friday - also not true. Schlissel had a meeting scheduled with the BoR at Michigan - false again.

A lot of crappy sources reporting things as fact and then being proven wrong, so they pivot to another stance.

Also, Michigan can’t hold everything up on their own, and the majority of the conference would probably love nothing more than to stick it to them. It doesn’t make sense that one school, that the others don’t particularly like tbh, is the only sticking point stopping a season. 

7 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I think it’s being reported all over the place at this point. Even the president had a tweet today saying that Michigan and Maryland at this point are out and you would think he would be in the know on this since they have been in contact with the Big Ten, at the White House. I know not typically the most trustworthy source there but when a number of people are saying UM is holding things up and things aren’t being refuted then you’d think there’s smoke. 

This may be the most cringe worthy post on this site TBH. A few pieces of general knowledge for you:

The reports from Friday/Saturday all blamed the University of Michigan president for being the one causing the shutdown. He is not the governor of Michigan. (Which is who Trump's tweet blames). Those reports and the president cannot both be correct, however they both can be false. Neither is a confirmation of the other.

Both the original report, as well as the certain politician you referenced earlier, have lied on numerous occasions. It's not a stretch to say both are false.

The governor of Michigan has recently green-lit HS football in the state, it would make no sense for her to then stand in the way of U-M and MSU playing. 

42 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Tbh UM is too far removed from relevance for the rest of the Big Ten to care to “stick it to” them with false narratives. When someone from that side comes out publicly and says that they want football I will consider it refuted or a change of heart. 

So UM is "too far removed from relevance for the rest of the Big Ten to care" about what UM wants, but at the same time the other 13 schools are willing to let Michigan magically hold up a season and a vote?

31 minutes ago, winitall said:

So UM is "too far removed from relevance for the rest of the Big Ten to care" about what UM wants, but at the same time the other 13 schools are willing to let Michigan magically hold up a season and a vote?

No no, Dave Biddle's amateur-level journalism is definitely right this time despite being completely wrong 2 days ago, and this is entirely Michigan's fault despite there being zero actual evidence of anything materially changing for every other university that supposedly wants to play now after originally voting no.

This is clearly all correct if the basis for this report is a Facebook post from Urban Meyer mouthpiece Jeff Snook, though.

I'd like to see who this supposed list of people reporting it all over the place.

Edited by JammerHammer21

56 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Just kinda interesting watch all of this unfold.

OSU and Michigan run the Big 10. Penn State and Wisconsin are big dogs too, but historically not in the same class.

If OSU truly wants to play ball, I have to conclude that Michigan is holding things up.

Can't lose to em if you don't play!! 4D chess.

• Like 1