College Football and Covid19 (Cancellations, Postponements etc)

candyman93

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My entire point is that they aren't, and haven't ever been relevant. 

(That was my point) :)

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Honestly the mental gymnastics of losing a vote 11-3 and then somehow thinking that if 2 of the 11 tank everything might be different is borderline SEC level behavior.

The about face that the other schools did/have done since is nothing short of baffling IMO. I'll fight anyone tooth and nail who says that playing football in late October to early November has a lesser risk than playing in September, all while hundreds of thousands of students are attending college face to face and living together. It's ludicrous. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The about face that the other schools did/have done since is nothing short of baffling IMO. I'll fight anyone tooth and nail who says that playing football in late October to early November has a lesser risk than playing in September, all while hundreds of thousands of students are attending college face to face and living together. It's ludicrous. 

It's stupid, but it's because the decision to have in person classes was terrible, not because the B1G made the wrong decision. You can criticize the inconsistent messaging and how it was done, but they got the call to not play football right and that's better than 3/5 conferences can say.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's stupid, but it's because the decision to have in person classes was terrible, not because the B1G made the wrong decision.

I think that what I'm saying (and not communicating clearly) is this:

B1G Presidents: Let's have hundreds of thousands of kids go face to face at school and live together!

Also B1G Presidents: Let's vote to cancel football because Covid has or may have inherent risk for young people, including major heart complications for the next 18 months at minimum

I'm saying that their logic is wrong and contradictory

You can criticize the inconsistent messaging and how it was done,

Well now I wish I would have read the rest of your post before typing that above.

but they got the call to not play football right and that's better than 3/5 conferences can say.

And every HS in all of their states playing, because each HS governing body is doing what the NCAA did, and completely pass the buck to "local school districts" funded by local tax payers, who all want to see football this year. How education is funded man...don't even get me started.

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I hereby disallow the votes from Rutgers and Maryland.

We are now processing a formal recount to appease your request. We'll let you know when the recount results are available.

maxresdefault.jpg

The results are in! The vote was 9-3 in favor of delaying the season. You can stop talking about Rutgers and Maryland now.

Fair enough. We can lump the other 9 in too. Embarrassing these dudes voted no when 3 of the P5s are playing and pee wee kids across America are too. The bottom line is that somebody is wrong here. The SEC/Big 12/ACC can’t be right if the Big Ten/PAC also are. The collateral effects of not having a season more than offsets the risks of playing. Especially when you see how the rest of the country of all ages is doing it. The Big Ten is writing it’s own 30 for 30. When contractual agreements run out, this will likely be the beginning of the end for some of these teams. If some of these teams actually felt like they had something to play for, they’d be out there. For political and liability reasons though they can’t get it done. 

23 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Fair enough. We can lump the other 9 in too. Embarrassing these dudes voted no when 3 of the P5s are playing and pee wee kids across America are too. The bottom line is that somebody is wrong here. The SEC/Big 12/ACC can’t be right if the Big Ten/PAC also are. The collateral effects of not having a season more than offsets the risks of playing. Especially when you see how the rest of the country of all ages is doing it. The Big Ten is writing it’s own 30 for 30. When contractual agreements run out, this will likely be the beginning of the end for some of these teams. If some of these teams actually felt like they had something to play for, they’d be out there. For political and liability reasons though they can’t get it done. 

I'd be surprised if it was the end, because the academic side won't give up the association. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Philly said:

I'd be surprised if it was the end, because the academic side won't give up the association. 

There are going to be numerous lawsuits by the end of us if they can’t get a fall season going. What Nebraska has started will probably be just the beginning based on how the ‘vote’ went down, individual fallout, etc. The ramifications of this decision are going to be felt for sometime. I guess we will see if it will blow over within a couple years. The Big Ten might be fortunate that some teams are bound to the contract for I believe four more seasons. There would be an abandoning of ship from multiple programs if there was a 2-year window before its expiration. Ohio State itself brings in a large chunk of that conference’s revenue. If they were to leave the conference, it would be in real trouble and certainly in danger of losing others. It is certainly a conference that prides itself on being well-rounded and academic. There is a balance though that some of these universities are obviously not on board with. SEC and other conferences are showing that football does mean more to them, as a whole. 

There are going to be numerous lawsuits by the end of us if they can’t get a fall season going. What Nebraska has started will probably be just the beginning based on how the ‘vote’ went down, individual fallout, etc. The ramifications of this decision are going to be felt for sometime. I guess we will see if it will blow over within a couple years. The Big Ten might be fortunate that some teams are bound to the contract for I believe four more seasons. There would be an abandoning of ship from multiple programs if there was a 2-year window before its expiration. Ohio State itself brings in a large chunk of that conference’s revenue. If they were to leave the conference, it would be in real trouble and certainly in danger of losing others. It is certainly a conference that prides itself on being well-rounded and academic. There is a balance though that some of these universities are obviously not on board with. SEC and other conferences are showing that football does mean more to them, as a whole. 

Well, they have a sworn affidavit saying what the vote was, so the current FOIA requests are probably the best they can do. Cooler heads will prevail and the members will stick together and not leave. The conference generates way too much money on both sides for other teams to leave for greener pastures.

Frankly, with the way the TV deals are set up, it doesn't make sense for the likes of OSU for the ACC or SEC given their deals expire a decade plus away.  Pac-12 is doesn't make anywhere near enough for it to be worthwhile. Now you're left with the Big 12, where the outside of OU/UT, the money isn't there. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Philly said:

Well, they have a sworn affidavit saying what the vote was, so the current FOIA requests are probably the best they can do. Cooler heads will prevail and the members will stick together and not leave. The conference generates way too much money on both sides for other teams to leave for greener pastures.

Frankly, with the way the TV deals are set up, it doesn't make sense for the likes of OSU for the ACC or SEC given their deals expire a decade plus away.  Pac-12 is doesn't make anywhere near enough for it to be worthwhile. Now you're left with the Big 12, where the outside of OU/UT, the money isn't there. 

Tomorrow I believe is discovery day for everything Nebraska has filed. So I think more will be found out tomorrow about how this vote actually went down. Regardless of the decision that was made, I think most would agree that the way the entire thing has been handled and communicated from the Big Ten has been awful. Very little transparency. 

• Like 1

Tomorrow I believe is discovery day for everything Nebraska has filed. So I think more will be found out tomorrow about how this vote actually went down. Regardless of the decision that was made, I think most would agree that the way the entire thing has been handled and communicated from the Big Ten has been awful. Very little transparency. 

That I'll agree on.