Alcohol Thread!

Glen

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

150% this.  Rusty nails own.  They're one of the absolute best cocktails.

They're perfect for fall too.  They feel warm and tingly, and harvesty because of all the flavours of the Drambuie.

Do 'em up with a cheaper blended scotch imo tho.  Not only saves money, but it just works out better for the cocktail tbh.  Ballentines is my fav, or Famous Grouse...which Costco basically sells cheap as heck as an off-brand thing that's absolutely perfect for Rusty Nails.

We already have a rusty nail at work but I appreciate it! We don’t have a scotch per se but two single malt whiskeys that are approximately similar in some ways to one and one of them we are releasing in the next month so I was thinking of coming up with a cocktail right off the bat

42 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

While on our cruise last year, they had a drink they called the Nutty Scotsman that used Scotch, Frangelico, pineapple juice and I think lime. They were good, but I can't replicate at home. It is good if you just mix the Scotch and Frangelico though.

Sounds good and simple I’ll definitely look into it to see if it’s a viable drink. Thanks!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tyty said:

Does anyone know of any simple cocktails that would feature a scotch or single malt whiskey? Or decent kinda unique and pretty simple cocktails you like featuring whiskey? Or fall themed fall drinks that preferably don’t feature pumpkin spice lol

I don't have any for Scotch, or a single malt, since those are usually served neat. I do know a strong, herbal, easy to make, whiskey drink that seems like it would work for fall

Louisiane (or a la Louisiane, or Cocktail a la Louisiane)

1oz Rye

1oz Benedictine

1oz Sweet Vermouth

.25oz Absinthe

4 dashed Peyschaud's bitter

Stir with ice, pour into a coupe glass

Garnish with 3 Luxardo cherries on a toothpick.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

I don't have any for Scotch, or a single malt, since those are usually served neat. I do know a strong, herbal, easy to make, whiskey drink that seems like it would work for fall

Louisiane (or a la Louisiane, or Cocktail a la Louisiane)

1oz Rye

1oz Benedictine

1oz Sweet Vermouth

.25oz Absinthe

4 dashed Peyschaud's bitter

Stir with ice, pour into a coupe glass

Garnish with 3 Luxardo cherries on a toothpick.

We have everything but the Benedictine so I imagine this would definitely be doable. Sounds like it’d be good aged in a 5 gallon barrel

3 hours ago, Tyty said:

Sounds good and simple I’ll definitely look into it to see if it’s a viable drink. Thanks!

It is very good, but I am all over the place on ratio. The nutty taste is somewhere in the fall/winter range to me if that makes sense.

Let me know how it goes and what you think.

Edited by skywlker32

On 10/1/2019 at 9:19 PM, Tyty said:

Does anyone know of any simple cocktails that would feature a scotch or single malt whiskey? Or decent kinda unique and pretty simple cocktails you like featuring whiskey? Or fall themed fall drinks that preferably don’t feature pumpkin spice lol

Rob Roy is pretty simple.

12 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Rusty Nails? Rob Roys? How old are you guys? I think I made one rusty nail ever while bartending and that was a joke drink for a 21st bday.

People have been drinking Rob Roys for 125 years.  You think they’ve hung around that long and suck?

What kind of place did you work where you never made classic cocktails?

12 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Rusty Nails? Rob Roys? How old are you guys? I think I made one rusty nail ever while bartending and that was a joke drink for a 21st bday.

How is a rusty nail an "old people" drink?

I recognize that despite my age, i'm probs better suited to live in the 1940s, but they're still amazing in the year 2019.  They need propagation, not old people shaming.

The most embarrassing thing, is the bartender who can't make a good rusty nail.  Literal stock and trade is delivering cocktails, can't do it?  Or shames people for ordering it?  Booo.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

If you aren't drinking a nitro barrel-aged, single origin hop, milkshake imperial sour with a bacon-washed absinthe float, you are probably an AARP member.

Please stop letting Starbucks people order beer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Please stop letting Starbucks people order beer.

Starbucks??

Last time I checked they don't sell organic, free trade, non-GMO, single origin, deconstructed bulletproof mushroom cold brew.

And if your coffee shop isn't communally owned, carbon neutral and built from 100% reclaimed materials, while also selling used records and bike parts, what is even the point?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Rusty nails are super rarely ordered at my job. Maybe the price point but I wouldn’t call them a joke. White Russians I call a joke. If a customer orders a White Russian or a vodka this and that I figure they don’t know much about alcohol 

• Like 1