35 minutes ago, Tyty said:

We make em 3 different ways at my work so I was just curious lol

I make mine kinda large, so here it is.

3oz Bulleit Rye

1 sugar cube

3 maraschino cherries

1 orange slice

3 dashes angostura 

I muddle the cherries, sugar, orange and angostura and then add the booze, ice and splash of club soda and give a quick stir.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyty said:

How do you guys make your old fashioneds 

Muddle a sugar cube with 2 dashes of Fee Brothers Old Fashioned Bitters, or Angostura Aromatic bitters, and a dash of orange bitters until the sugar is dissolved. Mix in 2oz of rye, or bourbon. Drop in a big ice cube. Express an orange peel over the glass, and drop it in. 

If you want good recipe books for traditional cocktails buy the Jerry Thomas Bartender’s Guide 1887 edition, American Bar, the Savoy Cocktail Book, and Contraband Cocktails: How America Drank When It Wasn’t Supposed To. The last one is a little history book, with some classic recipes at the end.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I muddle the cherries, sugar, orange and angostura and then add the booze, ice and splash of club soda and give a quick stir.

In Minnesota we call that a 'Sconie Old Fashioned, and like all things from Wisconsin, it is an abomination. 

I went to the Maker's Mark Distillery over the weekend.

Pretty cool experience. We had tickets to the Dinner Series right after the tour.

"One of the region's most acclaimed young chefs, Newman Miller, and his team are bringing true farm-to-table dining to our historic distillery setting and creating imaginative food-and-bourbon pairings you can’t enjoy anyplace else.

Tickets are $100 each and include an optional distillery tour in advance of dinner, a three-course communal dinner and paired cocktails."

Waiting for dinner, I sipped on a mixer of Tamarind Jarritos and Maker's Mark.
First cocktail with salad was a Manhattan.
Second cocktail with the main course was an Old Fashioned.
Third was a glass of just straight up Private Select with dessert.

Grabbed my pops a bottle of this in the gift shop. It's smooth like a Santana and Rob Thomas song.
MM_101_Bottle_Box_611667290_2.jpg

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think a Wisconsin old fashioned has to have brandy though

Wisconsinites' love affair with brandy

https://onmilwaukee.com/bars/articles/brandy.html

It's rumored that our state is not only populated with beer swillers, but brandy slammers, as well. A few Web sites even reported that Wisconsin is responsible for 90 percent of the world's brandy consumption, so we decided to go straight to the source: Korbel, the top brandy maker in the United States.

"Wisconsin is our number one state," says Margie Healy, director of public relations for the California-based Korbel. "We export 385,000 cases a year, and 139,000 go directly to Wisconsin. That's one-third of our total production."

1 hour ago, skywindO2 said:

Speaking of moving into my new condo, I basically just use the same plastic cup for everything because bachelor life but I'd really like to get some cocktail glasses. Anyone have any recommendations for drinkware? 

It's kind of like beer when you want to do it right, but there's less cocktail glasses. I would do a rocks/old fashioned/whiskey glass, a coupe, a highball, martini glass, and a champagne flute. Should be able to cover all of you bases with that set.