Alcohol Thread!

Glen

10 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

giphy.gif

Maybe I embellished a bit, but I usually drink them when I'm outside and it's hot and they're easy to drink. I'm not a huge guy or anything so 10 would probably put me on my *** lol

I hear ya.. I had a feeling lol. I just like to defend these drinks because people give them a bad rap and I don't see why. People assume they're low in alcohol content just because they're easy to drink! Easy to drink and 5% alcohol, I don't see what's not to like personally. (the gif legit cracked me up lol)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, braylon said:

So, I'm finally getting into drinking for the enjoyment of drinking and not just drinking to get drunk.. Not going to lie, I was in that phase for far too long xD

My favorite things to drink are sours and it's not even a little bit close. I went to a brewery in Asheville, NC a couple months ago called Funkatorium that specializes in, and serves almost exclusively, sours and I was in heaven. Unfortunately for me, good sours seem to be scarce, whether that be on tap at a bar or trying to purchase some at a beer shop. I have one local brewery that is always shuffling some sours in and out and some of them are absolutely amazing, so right now that's helping me out..

So here's my question for you guys.. first off, I'm not really used to buying "craft beer".. I generally have bought drinks that are mass produced all over the country for most of my drinking career lol. I don't even know how this works, are there going to be some bottled/canned sours that you guys can recommend that I could likely find at one of the better local beer shops around me? And if so, do you guys have any recommendations? Or, is it more of a local thing and I'm just going to have to find some good drinks by trial and error?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

I'm kind of in the same boat. Just got into sours somewhat recently. We had a sour beer fest here in Indy a couple months ago and it was a lot of fun but most of them were midwest beers. That's where I had the Urban Artifact that I posted earlier in the thread. 

My best advice is to just go to the liquor store and peruse the craft beer section until you see the word "sour" and pick it up to see if you'd like it. That's what I've been doing the last couple of weeks. 

DuClaw Sour Me Raspberry

Three Floyd's Ghost Toe

New Glarus Raspberry Tart [only in Wisconsin unfortunately]

New Belgium La Folie

Ballast Point Sour Wench

DogfishHead Sour Quench

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, braylon said:

So, I'm finally getting into drinking for the enjoyment of drinking and not just drinking to get drunk.. Not going to lie, I was in that phase for far too long xD

My favorite things to drink are sours and it's not even a little bit close. I went to a brewery in Asheville, NC a couple months ago called Funkatorium that specializes in, and serves almost exclusively, sours and I was in heaven. Unfortunately for me, good sours seem to be scarce, whether that be on tap at a bar or trying to purchase some at a beer shop. I have one local brewery that is always shuffling some sours in and out and some of them are absolutely amazing, so right now that's helping me out..

So here's my question for you guys.. first off, I'm not really used to buying "craft beer".. I generally have bought drinks that are mass produced all over the country for most of my drinking career lol. I don't even know how this works, are there going to be some bottled/canned sours that you guys can recommend that I could likely find at one of the better local beer shops around me? And if so, do you guys have any recommendations? Or, is it more of a local thing and I'm just going to have to find some good drinks by trial and error?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Getting recommendations for a good sour is a tough ask. Most people hate them, or have only found 1-2 they can drink. Even people that like them seems to be pretty particular. Your best bet would be to find 1-2 that you like and can find, stick with them, but try new ones along the way. I've personally only found one that I like, and it's only available sometimes at a brewery in Kansas. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I'm kind of in the same boat. Just got into sours somewhat recently. We had a sour beer fest here in Indy a couple months ago and it was a lot of fun but most of them were midwest beers. That's where I had the Urban Artifact that I posted earlier in the thread. 

My best advice is to just go to the liquor store and peruse the craft beer section until you see the word "sour" and pick it up to see if you'd like it. That's what I've been doing the last couple of weeks. 

DuClaw Sour Me Raspberry

Three Floyd's Ghost Toe

New Glarus Raspberry Tart [only in Wisconsin unfortunately]

New Belgium La Folie

Ballast Point Sour Wench

DogfishHead Sour Quench

That's basically what I tried last weekend and it was only mildly successful, will try that again this weekend. Appreciate it! The DogfishHead is the least sour "sour" I've ever had, IIRC. Just wasn't a huge fan.

12 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Getting recommendations for a good sour is a tough ask. Most people hate them, or have only found 1-2 they can drink. Even people that like them seems to be pretty particular. Your best bet would be to find 1-2 that you like and can find, stick with them, but try new ones along the way. I've personally only found one that I like, and it's only available sometimes at a brewery in Kansas. 

Had one buddy tell me something similar, was hoping I might hear something else on here xD

2 hours ago, braylon said:

Founders Green Zebra, Ballast Point Sour Wench & 10 Barrel Crush seem to be all over the place and both are very good. Dogfish SeaQuench is also all over but I'm not a huge fan of that. 

EDIT - Two Roads has a Tanker Truck series that produces a lot of good sours, too. 

Edited by Scalamania

• 2 weeks later...