If we suck but cant get a top 3 pick to land a qb what do we do?

Vladimir L

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

If you want a longer answer, it will also depend on what can be identified as "the most important problem to fix."

If the problem is "Haskins had all of 1.5 seconds before pressure was collapsing on him," then investing in an offensive lineman or two might be the right answer. Result: no Lawrence here, most likely. Penei Sewell plus another lineman (1st and 2nd round back to back action?) might make a lot of sense then.

If the problem is "the receivers couldn't get open consistently enough beyond McLaurin," then making a play for a top WR and/or TE might make sense. Again, no Lawrence here.

If the problem is "the players seem completely confused and out of sync," then it might not matter who is at QB because that sounds like a coaching problem. Who knows what they do in the draft then?

If the problem is "Haskins is missing throws and directly caused the team to lose," then Lawrence is on the table if they're in position.

Again, context matters. None of use have seen the offense play a single snap. None of us know what Ron Rivera and Scott Turner's system will look like given the players they have here. Heck, no one is even sure what Scott Turner's system will look like since he's never been an offensive coordinator (above the high school level ... seriously, his two year stint at South County High (local product! and he went to Oakton!) is on his wiki page) prior to coming to DC.

I said with THIS OFFENSE meaning you got Lawrence and just sent him out there with the current roster. 

5 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I said with THIS OFFENSE meaning you got Lawrence and just sent him out there with the current roster. 

Yet again, we have no idea what this offense actually looks like. For all we know, Haskins and company could come out looking like Oregon in the quick count heyday under Chip Kelly. Or the wildcat back when that was a thing. Or the Greatest Show on Turf. Or some weird high school exotic offense that no one ever thought was ever possible at the professional level. Or a standard west coast offense.

We have no idea what IT is.

Also, what is the point of asking this hypothetical?

Unless Washington traded away their entire draft, signed no free agents beyond resigning the ones they have now, and making sure Kelvin Harmon (NFI), Emmanuel Hall (NFI), Michael Liedtke (IR), Thaddeus Moss (IR), Jordan Veasy (IR), Troy Brown (PS), Joshua Garnett (PS), Shelton Gibson (PS), Hale Hentges (PS), Ross Pierschbacher (PS), Sam Sims (PS) and David Steinmetz (PS) are never active ... how is this even possible? There's no scenario where this exact offensive roster at this exact time could ever be replicated. And even if they did the incredibly stupid situation that is now, every single player would not be the same player as they are now as they would be a year old, with a year more of experience, and a year more understanding of the playbook and their roles.

You might as well ask what Sammy Baugh would look like in this offense if you went back and time and brought him forward while avoiding paradoxes and unwinding the spacetime continuum.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Yet again, we have no idea what this offense actually looks like. For all we know, Haskins and company could come out looking like Oregon in the quick count heyday under Chip Kelly. Or the wildcat back when that was a thing. Or the Greatest Show on Turf. Or some weird high school exotic offense that no one ever thought was ever possible at the professional level. Or a standard west coast offense.

Unless Washington traded away their entire draft, signed no free agents beyond resigning the ones they have now, and making sure Kelvin Harmon (NFI), Emmanuel Hall (NFI), Michael Liedtke (IR), Thaddeus Moss (IR), Jordan Veasy (IR), Troy Brown (PS), Joshua Garnett (PS), Shelton Gibson (PS), Hale Hentges (PS), Ross Pierschbacher (PS), Sam Sims (PS) and David Steinmetz (PS) are never active ... how is this even possible? There's no scenario where this exact offensive roster at this exact time could ever be replicated. And even if they did the incredibly stupid situation that is now, every single player would not be the same player as they are now as they would be a year old, with a year more of experience, and a year more understanding of the playbook and their roles.

You might as well ask what Sammy Baugh would look like in this offense if you went back and time and brought him forward while avoiding paradoxes and unwinding the spacetime continuum.

Or...the 1991 Redskins offense. I certainly didn't expect them to come out like they did, considering Rypien had just never put it together. But they simply dominated from the first minute of football until they were holding the Lombardi.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

If you want a longer answer, it will also depend on what can be identified as "the most important problem to fix."

If the problem is "Haskins had all of 1.5 seconds before pressure was collapsing on him," then investing in an offensive lineman or two might be the right answer. Result: no Lawrence here, most likely. Penei Sewell plus another lineman (1st and 2nd round back to back action?) might make a lot of sense then.

If the problem is "the receivers couldn't get open consistently enough beyond McLaurin," then making a play for a top WR and/or TE might make sense. Again, no Lawrence here.

If the problem is "the players seem completely confused and out of sync," then it might not matter who is at QB because that sounds like a coaching problem. Who knows what they do in the draft then?

If the problem is "Haskins is missing throws and directly caused the team to lose," then Lawrence is on the table if they're in position.

Again, context matters. None of use have seen the offense play a single snap. None of us know what Ron Rivera and Scott Turner's system will look like given the players they have here. Heck, no one is even sure what Scott Turner's system will look like since he's never been an offensive coordinator (above the high school level ... seriously, his two year stint at South County High (local product! and he went to Oakton!) is on his wiki page) prior to coming to DC.

Also for this post?

THANK YOU FOR NOT JUST THROWING OUT A STAT LINE AND SAYING THAT OVER/UNDER MEANS HE DID GOOD or BAD!

Another person who can actually evaluate a team. Thank you!

6 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Honest question - if we end up in top 3 picks and 3000 of those yards are in garbage time against prevent defenses, and he has looked like crap, are you STILL going to give him a Mahomes contract? 

How about how he plays in the 16 games rather than just the stats?

I was about to say I laughed when I saw locking him up Mahomes style because 20 Int’s would be a huge concern. If he’s 20 and 20 with 5200 I’m assuming our kicker and RB’s are balling in fantasy because we’re missing a lot of scores with that type of yardage. But he has to improve I’m not going to beat him up for a bad game or two we have no idea what we actually have. But protecting the football is key for me over a lot more then most the numbers. The eye test!!! We will know by week 10 what we have in this guy

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Who knows what Lawrence would do in this offense we haven’t seen him in a camp or handle a offense so it’s really hard too say. I think Lawrence is def good enough to win with. But he like Haskins needs a good OL and guys to catch the ball. So who knows what Lawrence would do besides be more Mobil because we really have no idea what Haskins is about to show

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Who knows what Lawrence would do in this offense we haven’t seen him in a camp or handle a offense so it’s really hard too say. I think Lawrence is def good enough to win with. But he like Haskins needs a good OL and guys to catch the ball. So who knows what Lawrence would do besides be more Mobil because we really have no idea what Haskins is about to show

Which is why I keep going back to the statement of "yes, I realize our offense doesn't look like much, but the games haven't started. Let's wait until midseason to see what we have"

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Let other Teams worry about Lawrence. We need to focus on what Haskins is about to show. No one knows but we do know what it was like the last 3 games he started in. Support him, build around him and Mclaruin as you let the Defense take Charge in leading this team to a Super Bowl. That's all they have to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Or...the 1991 Redskins offense. I certainly didn't expect them to come out like they did, considering Rypien had just never put it together. But they simply dominated from the first minute of football until they were holding the Lombardi.

Except that trip up against Philly in week 13 ... stupid Eagles ruining a perfect season (they wouldn't have taken their foot off the gas of the Bandwagon in week 17 against Dallas)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Also for this post?

THANK YOU FOR NOT JUST THROWING OUT A STAT LINE AND SAYING THAT OVER/UNDER MEANS HE DID GOOD or BAD!

Another person who can actually evaluate a team. Thank you!

😂😂😂

So by me saying I want to see Haskins and the offense playing at the level they where his last 3 starts does that give you a clearer view of what I want out of the Team without stats?

They lost those games or at least some but were in those games. Making plays, moving the ball. Haskins against Philly completed like 9 straight passes I believe. 

Edited by Skins212689

8 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

😂😂😂

So by me saying I want to see Haskins and the offense playing at the level they where his last 3 starts does that give you a clearer view of what I want out of the Team without stats?

They lost those games or at least some but were in those games. Making plays, moving the ball. Haskins against Philly completed like 9 straight passes I believe. 

No. See bolded -> That's evaluating the player correctly as long as you're not just looking at the statline. Thank you for getting what we've been saying

31 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Let other Teams worry about Lawrence. We need to focus on what Haskins is about to show. No one knows but we do know what it was like the last 3 games he started in. Support him, build around him and Mclaruin as you let the Defense take Charge in leading this team to a Super Bowl. That's all they have to do. 

And hopefully Haskins does just that and hopefully it unfolds that way. We all are waiting to see what Haskins can do. If we select a LT and it not be a reach I’m hoping that’s where we’re going. I think all fans Hope Haskins proves he’s the guy to do that for. I think to date he has and if these changes are real we will know soon enough. There’s so much still to scout this year if they get some kind of college season for most programs we could be talking about Trey Lance and other great players. Personally the best pick for this team having a dominant force would be Micah Parsons. Absolute monster would be out Luke and would give this team a real unit that can dictate to teams what they will do. The best case for this team if we’re picking high is Sewell. I personally like Mayfield from UM a lot but there’s a killer class of lineman next year all of which could be great for the QB I think we’re all hoping ends our lack of a franchise QB run we’ve been on

14 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

And hopefully Haskins does just that and hopefully it unfolds that way. We all are waiting to see what Haskins can do. If we select a LT and it not be a reach I’m hoping that’s where we’re going. I think all fans Hope Haskins proves he’s the guy to do that for. I think to date he has and if these changes are real we will know soon enough. There’s so much still to scout this year if they get some kind of college season for most programs we could be talking about Trey Lance and other great players. Personally the best pick for this team having a dominant force would be Micah Parsons. Absolute monster would be out Luke and would give this team a real unit that can dictate to teams what they will do. The best case for this team if we’re picking high is Sewell. I personally like Mayfield from UM a lot but there’s a killer class of lineman next year all of which could be great for the QB I think we’re all hoping ends our lack of a franchise QB run we’ve been on

I think the Franchise QB searching can end now while they focus on making Haskins as good as possible. This Franchise on Defense is stack and I think can be taken to a different level with Del Rio and Rivera coaching them.

The offense just has to be able to move the ball down field, convert 3rd downs, and score TD's oppose to FG's. Give the QB whether Franchise or not in Haskins the pieces needed to do those things on offense. Come Draft Time and Free Agency next year I hope they are doing just that. 

4 hours ago, Woz said:

I mean we don’t knew how they’ll execute or if they will, but it’s going to look like the panthers offense of the past 2 or 3 years since McCaffery was in his 2nd season.

Sims, Gibson & McKissic when he’s in there will be running a lot of jet sweeps and fake jet sweeps too. I think we’re going to have a spread offense w/ some west coast route concepts & RPO w/ a ZBS blocking scheme.

Our O might look a lot like the Shanahan’s O w/ RG3 only less or no QB runs.