If we suck but cant get a top 3 pick to land a qb what do we do?

Vladimir L

Simple: focus on getting the best talent available and hope that either helps Haskins or builds a foundation for the next QB.

I get everyone is hot to trot for Lawrence and thanks to Arizona they now think they should change quarterbacks at the top of the draft like disposable gloves if they don't get immediate results. It takes time and patience(*) to build a franchise that consistently wins. Getting a stud left tackle is not the worst thing, no? Or maybe a true middle linebacker? Top corner? There are other players to take and there are other needs on this roster.

This snapshot of "oh, Haskins only threw 3500 yards with 16 TD and 16 INT and they ended up 6-10" doesn't tell the whole story. Was the team wracked with injuries? Did they have a couple of bad bounces on fumbles by others? Did the offensive line just not hold up beyond "one mississippi?" Was the secondary exposed and they just got out boat raced? Did Haskins push the ball to try and win late and that's where the INTs came from?

Context matters. Given that none of us have seen a single snap of what the WFT looks like under the new coaching regime nor what any of the new players (and there are quite a few) look like, I think we're all either panicking a bit too early or are so focused on the bright, shiny thing that is Lawrence that they aren't paying attention what is here and now. What happens if Lawrence sits out? Or gets injured? Or only plays two games before the season is canceled? Or gets into some sort of scandal?

There's a lot that can happen between now and January, much less now and April.

(*) And probably the removal of Snyder. *sigh*

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Say Haskin has a 20 td 20 int 5200 yards type of year and we go 6-10 lets say just a Jaimies Winston type of year

we arent bad enough to land lawrencr or fields how do we proceed?

I'd have to watch the games, but that actually might not be a bad season to move on from him...

Keep taking BPA. I doubt Sewell is there, but you could get Haskins another weapon or LT in Chase, Leatherwood, Waddle, etc. 

21 minutes ago, Woz said:

Simple: focus on getting the best talent available and hope that either helps Haskins or builds a foundation for the next QB.

I get everyone is hot to trot for Lawrence and thanks to Arizona they now think they should change quarterbacks at the top of the draft like disposable gloves if they don't get immediate results. It takes time and patience(*) to build a franchise that consistently wins. Getting a stud left tackle is not the worst thing, no? Or maybe a true middle linebacker? Top corner? There are other players to take and there are other needs on this roster.

This snapshot of "oh, Haskins only threw 3500 yards with 16 TD and 16 INT and they ended up 6-10" doesn't tell the whole story. Was the team wracked with injuries? Did they have a couple of bad bounces on fumbles by others? Did the offensive line just not hold up beyond "one mississippi?" Was the secondary exposed and they just got out boat raced? Did Haskins push the ball to try and win late and that's where the INTs came from?

Context matters. Given that none of us have seen a single snap of what the WFT looks like under the new coaching regime nor what any of the new players (and there are quite a few) look like, I think we're all either panicking a bit too early or are so focused on the bright, shiny thing that is Lawrence that they aren't paying attention what is here and now. What happens if Lawrence sits out? Or gets injured? Or only plays two games before the season is canceled? Or gets into some sort of scandal?

There's a lot that can happen between now and January, much less now and April.

(*) And probably the removal of Snyder. *sigh*

This ^^^. All of this ^^^^

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

What would Lawrence do with this offense that Haskins can't or didn't is my Question? Can someone please help me with that?

I'll Shut Up and Read the Full Long Paragraph that will come. 

I don't know that you will based on previous results. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I see you didn't answer the question.

I'm not interested in rehashing "Lawrence in this offense" from you for 37th time. If you don't care to read anyone's posts about it, and rather just keep asking the question, I'll continue to ignore it moving forward. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

If Haskins throws for 5000 yards, I'm locking him up Patrick Mahomes style.

And then chalking up his 20 TD's & 20 int's for the mere fact we have 1 WR NFL caliber & that's it.

Then dumping a truckload, making trades and/or drafting high picks on top caliber WR talent.

Honest question - if we end up in top 3 picks and 3000 of those yards are in garbage time against prevent defenses, and he has looked like crap, are you STILL going to give him a Mahomes contract? 

How about how he plays in the 16 games rather than just the stats?

25 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

TO answer the threads question

If we picking Top 10 my main two players would be 
Penei Sewell OT Oregon
Ja'Marr Chase WR LSU

If towards the bottom of top 10 while i'd prefer Offense would take one of the LBers
Micah Parsons or Dylan Moses

I gotta admit, Sewell or Chase sounds pretty good.

6 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

What would Lawrence do with this offense that Haskins can't or didn't is my Question? Can someone please help me with that?

I'll Shut Up and Read the Full Long Paragraph that will come. 

Since none of know what this offense is at this point .. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That short enough for you?

If you want a longer answer, it will also depend on what can be identified as "the most important problem to fix."

If the problem is "Haskins had all of 1.5 seconds before pressure was collapsing on him," then investing in an offensive lineman or two might be the right answer. Result: no Lawrence here, most likely. Penei Sewell plus another lineman (1st and 2nd round back to back action?) might make a lot of sense then.

If the problem is "the receivers couldn't get open consistently enough beyond McLaurin," then making a play for a top WR and/or TE might make sense. Again, no Lawrence here.

If the problem is "the players seem completely confused and out of sync," then it might not matter who is at QB because that sounds like a coaching problem. Who knows what they do in the draft then?

If the problem is "Haskins is missing throws and directly caused the team to lose," then Lawrence is on the table if they're in position.

Again, context matters. None of use have seen the offense play a single snap. None of us know what Ron Rivera and Scott Turner's system will look like given the players they have here. Heck, no one is even sure what Scott Turner's system will look like since he's never been an offensive coordinator (above the high school level ... seriously, his two year stint at South County High (local product! and he went to Oakton!) is on his wiki page) prior to coming to DC.

Edited by Woz