Things to Watch 2020: Offense

WindyCity

*I am not including the QB spot because that is obvious.

1. Does the increased 12 Personnel Work

It is clear the Bears are going more 12 personnel and the good camps by both Kmet and Graham did nothing to dispel that. This means they are likely to look more like Philadelphia than they are KC. This is fine and should make things better in the run game and easier on the QBs. It would be a fundamental shift and would require monitoring as Graham is a serious cap target next offseason.

2. Does Cohen Bounce Back

This is going to be a serious cap debate, does Cohen offer enough to the offense to pay him 6-7 million/season or does Nagy over used him again and kill his producitivity.

3. Darnell Mooney

The Bears need some speed and dynamic after the catch ability in the offense, that was suppose to be Gabriel, but he was so damn small and generated next to no YAC yards. If Mooney wanted to be good that would be awesome. Cheap and young speed at WR would be a huge find.

4. Does the OL Bounce Back

They are better at RG. They do not have the Daniels at C foolishness, and both OTs cannot suck again can they? Massie and Leno are playing for their Bears careers as both have juicy cap room that can be saved in 2021. Can Ifedi stabilize RG and maybe earn himself a mid season pay bump and extension? The QB and offense are OL dependent and these guys simply cannot be as bad as they were a year ago.

I hear a lot of chatter about how Juan Castillo teaches different technique on the o-line... does anyone understand the specific changes? In the past I heard some players on the Ravens pushed back and that was a part of the reason why their play suffered early on.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

*I am not including the QB spot because that is obvious.

1. Does the increased 12 Personnel Work

It is clear the Bears are going more 12 personnel and the good camps by both Kmet and Graham did nothing to dispel that. This means they are likely to look more like Philadelphia than they are KC. This is fine and should make things better in the run game and easier on the QBs. It would be a fundamental shift and would require monitoring as Graham is a serious cap target next offseason.

2. Does Cohen Bounce Back

This is going to be a serious cap debate, does Cohen offer enough to the offense to pay him 6-7 million/season or does Nagy over used him again and kill his producitivity.

3. Darnell Mooney

The Bears need some speed and dynamic after the catch ability in the offense, that was suppose to be Gabriel, but he was so damn small and generated next to no YAC yards. If Mooney wanted to be good that would be awesome. Cheap and young speed at WR would be a huge find.

4. Does the OL Bounce Back

They are better at RG. They do not have the Daniels at C foolishness, and both OTs cannot suck again can they? Massie and Leno are playing for their Bears careers as both have juicy cap room that can be saved in 2021. Can Ifedi stabilize RG and maybe earn himself a mid season pay bump and extension? The QB and offense are OL dependent and these guys simply cannot be as bad as they were a year ago.

1.   I remember the 2018 offseason and camp.   12P was clearly Nagy's preferred scheme.  Remember the joint practices with Denver?  Burton and Shaheen were reportedly tearing it up and Denver media was very frustrated.  They did it all through Spring as well.   All the beat reporters raved about it.   

Then Shaheen hurt his foot and never recovered from it.  Maybe he was never going to be any good and that was just practice fluke.  Who knows.   But it was clear that was offense 'identity' that Nagy wanted - 2 TE RPO based offense.  He hasn't found an identity again yet.

It really sucked because the injury happened right before season and basically their whole game plan for season was scrapped as a result never to return as Shaheen never returned and Burton was a one man show until playoffs and then he was never to return.

2. I think Cohen returns to form this year.  Not saying he is an all pro, but he provides a nice change of pace back to Monty.

3. No clue.  I was not super impressed with Mooney's college tape like Bears coaching staff was.  Thought he was a wasted pick that early (even though it wasn't early).  But coaches reportedly pounded table for him and he has delivered in practice (reportedly).    No rookie under Nagy has received this many true compliments.   Miller got coach speak compliments.    They genuinely are impressed with Mooney.   He moved even or ahead of Ginn which is not nothing.    Ginn is not a bad player at all and a long time veteran.   

I don't know though.  He is very small and seems like he has too many drops for my liking.   Might be a very nice find.  Happy to be wrong on him.

4.  I think interior will be much, much better.   Long was so bad it made my eyes bleed.   I don't have any idea what Daniels was even doing last year.  Like he lost all his fundamentals and his brain in a single year.    Whitehair was the worst I have seen him.   Just a cluster.   

I think after watching him closely Ifedi has had a bad rap.  He was not to my eyes a bad blocker at all.  He just had incredibly untimely penalties.    He has slowish feet (like Massie), but he is very strong and is fundamentally sound.  I think he will make a fine guard for Bears and was a nice pick up.

On other hand I have very little faith in our offensive tackles.   I think at their best they are average and when Leno can be bad and Massie can be awful.   It is a concern.  If we get the average Leno and Massie this team could do some things.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

I hear a lot of chatter about how Juan Castillo teaches different technique on the o-line... does anyone understand the specific changes? In the past I heard some players on the Ravens pushed back and that was a part of the reason why their play suffered early on.

Last year they made a ton of simple mistakes. If he can clean that up it would be a huge start.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Bobbie Massie to me is a ticking time bomb. He isn't good and if he cant string some decent play together we got nothing to replace him.

Agreed.  Pace's unwillingness to invest in OTs early in draft or FA boggles my mind.  I don't know why he doesn't consider OT important.  

Massive weakness on the team.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 3:13 PM, WindyCity said:

Bobbie Massie to me is a ticking time bomb. He isn't good and if he cant string some decent play together we got nothing to replace him.

Ifedi would kick out or go with Spriggs .... this is not traditional offense with necessary road grader RT. I think Nagy is gonna get pretty  weird with playcalling  !

I like our depth alot  ! hats off to pace.  besides,  I can't remember the last time leno or massie missed a start ....and like you said both cannot suck again  ha

Last season every single olineman sucked  .... poor scheme or poor conveyance of schemes ....those days are OVER  !!

Edited by SLCbear

ya, I am most interested in seeing our schemes on offense .... I see mitchs running game being entirely unleashed, jet sweeps, pitches, options on move for Mitch RPOs, RBs TEs & WRs  lining up everywhere with heavy heavy HEAVY TE usage

if Oline is fixed this can be a special year with our D, KR & ST coverage 

odonnel hopefully can at least match last season, his best season so far    Kairo scares **** outta me then EddieP comes back and scares me too    but alot less 

So EXCITED to see Jaylon Johnson  !!!! and then also gipson and what he is able to bring to the mix !

Looks like a fun season bc we are sooo far under radar, noone expects us to do **** !

Edited by SLCbear

25 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

Ifedi would kick out or go with Spriggs .... this is not traditional offense with necessary road grader RT. I think Nagy is gonna get pretty  weird with playcalling  !

I like our depth alot  ! hats off to pace.   Leno and Massie have been ironmen, can't remember the last time either of them missed start ....and like you said both cannot suck again  ha

Last season every single olineman sucked  .... poor scheme or poor conveyance of schemes ....those days are done  !

Bobbie Massie missed half the season last year. His backup was much better.

Leno is super durable, knock on wood.

Edited by WindyCity

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Bobbie Massie missed half the season last year. His backup was much better.

Leno is super durable, knock on wood.

half season ?? iirc he missed some time early in season but started every game aft ...and hard for me to rem him missing time ever before that 

Massie and Leno will both be closer to 2018 form than 2019 form

I expect the run game to improve but still to be a bottom 10 rushing - at least in efficiency. Their numbers will likely look a bit better when looking at totals just due to the volume of attempts. The OL simply is underwhelming. That being said while I am not sure Montgomery hits 1K yards I do believe he will be one of the better performers in YAC. Get a decent OL and a real QB and he can have a solid statline. 

Cohen takes a step forward again, Montgomery shows he is more like Howard than not (solid runner, lackluster receiver) 

ARob is a beast, I think Miller steps up but still shows a maddening lack of consistency. IDK if this will be more due to poor QB play or him concentration issues, but between the two he will be a frustrating player to have. 

I think Graham will put up a decent line, especially whenever Foles takes over. Kmet will put up decent numbers but likely has issues as a run blocker too. High effort but he was a mediocre as a blocker in college so being a decent blocker in the NFL is going to be a grind for him. I think he will be able to but in year one I just don't know. 

Moony makes some serious big plays even if they are irregular. 

We enter into the 2021 offseason with needs at 

QB

WR2

LT

RT

RG

Edited by Sugashane

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm on record saying I'd have tried like hell to get him and would have gone ape**** over the signing, but why would he come here?

Terrible run game, poor OTs for passblocking, one great WR and a guy that flirts with breaking out. I guess he could have leveraged getting Gronk here so Gronk and Kmet for his TE duo? Plus Nagy has little to show as a playcaller other than being able to bully bad defenses and fold like a cheap lawnchair vs good ones. That is largely on Tru sucking too, but still. 

Sure he wouldn't have to put up 28 PPG to win here but he'd be looking at some serious abuse behind this OL. Maybe he finds a way to pull Scarnecchia over by the Bears promoting him to OC and OL coach. 

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'm on record saying I'd have tried like hell to get him and would have gone ape**** over the signing, but why would he come here?

Terrible run game, poor OTs for passblocking, one great WR and a guy that flirts with breaking out. I guess he could have leveraged getting Gronk here so Gronk and Kmet for his TE duo? Plus Nagy has little to show as a playcaller other than being able to bully bad defenses and fold like a cheap lawnchair vs good ones. That is largely on Tru sucking too, but still. 

Sure he wouldn't have to put up 28 PPG to win here but he'd be looking at some serious abuse behind this OL. Maybe he finds a way to pull Scarnecchia over by the Bears promoting him to OC and OL coach. 

Exactly. Easy for us to say "I'd pick the Bears" because for Bears fans it's a dream, but I doubt Brady cares about that. The weapons, the coach, the weather, etc are all better in TB.