NFL General Discussion

candyman93

10 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

I disagree. Chicago just exposed him sooner. I got tons of flak from you guys by my saying he just isn’t any good. But I’m seeing the same slow processor and inability to read the field (mmmmhmmm) that I saw at Ohio State. 

Perhaps. But I’d argue those are things that can be improved upon. That OL and coaching staff killed any chance he had.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Perhaps. But I’d argue those are things that can be improved upon. That OL and coaching staff killed any chance he had.

I think Olsen nailed the issue in the broadcast tbh.  

They ran the ball a TON last season and decided to try to make him a pocket passer this year for no reason whatsoever.

Fields is not dissimilar from Lamar in that he’s gonna be most effective in an offense that featured his legs.  They should be building the entire scheme around his mobility and using his legs to give him easy 1-2 read progressions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think Olsen nailed the issue in the broadcast tbh.  

They ran the ball a TON last season and decided to try to make him a pocket passer this year for no reason whatsoever.

Fields is not dissimilar from Lamar in that he’s gonna be most effective in an offense that featured his legs.  They should be building the entire scheme around his mobility and using his legs to give him easy 1-2 read progressions.

No boot action

No read option

No flood concepts

No 1/2 field reads

I watched almost every pass they ran yesterday as 5-7 step drops with 2 WR routes as the chiefs stayed 2 high all day. Back foot hit, guys covered, DL bearing down on him. That’s Hue Jackson 4 vert stuff.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

No boot action

No read option

No flood concepts

No 1/2 field reads

I watched almost every pass they ran yesterday as 5-7 step drops with 2 WR routes as the chiefs stayed 2 high all day. Back foot hit, guys covered, DL bearing down on him. That’s Hue Jackson 4 vert stuff.

Yeah it’s p insane.  Like, is that who you thought he was when you drafted him?  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah it’s p insane.  Like, is that who you thought he was when you drafted him?  

In my opinion, and I’ve said this for a long time, I’d put training wheels on almost every young QB. You give them a condensed playbook with gimme throws and concepts that allow him to play and more importantly protect him with likely a mediocre to bad OL if you’re picking that high to begin with, and then year 2 you do some more expansive drop back half field reads, with the halfway point basically a full go playbook, and Year 3 is the year you know whether or not he’s got a future with you.

30 games in is a good barometer for experience in my opinion.

• Like 1

Chicago is abysmal. They are going to have two really high first round draft picks this year, which could make it interesting as far as how they choose to build that. If they have a chance to take Caleb Williams, I think they will do that, even if the rest of their roster is lousy. Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison, and no OL/defense. If things don’t work out for him in Chicago, it will be interesting to see if Theodis gets another shot as a starter somewhere else or if he will have to try the journeyman route for another opportunity.

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

In my opinion, and I’ve said this for a long time, I’d put training wheels on almost every young QB. You give them a condensed playbook with gimme throws and concepts that allow him to play and more importantly protect him with likely a mediocre to bad OL if you’re picking that high to begin with, and then year 2 you do some more expansive drop back half field reads, with the halfway point basically a full go playbook, and Year 3 is the year you know whether or not he’s got a future with you.

30 games in is a good barometer for experience in my opinion.

Completely agree.

Crawl, walk, run.  It’s no different than any other job where you can’t expect a new grad to come on and dominate against seasoned pros.

It’s also why teams should figure out what they want to do coaching wise when the bring in a new QB because a bunch of scheme changes is a career killer for most dudes.  If you’re ready to spend a top pick on a QB you’d better make sure you’ve got a guy running things you’re comfortable with being the HC for 3 years too.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This isn’t an uncommon criticism tbh.  He’s gonna have to learn to process quicker/pull the trigger quicker or he’s never gonna make it.

The one clip that made the rounds a week or two ago was ungodly bad.

This. I’m seeing the same issues he had in college with a much better supporting cast. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

No boot action

No read option

No flood concepts

No 1/2 field reads

Greg Roman was the right guy for that job. Even if he had his issues, his system was perfect for Lamar. Not monkins air raid offense. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Amazing the way some guys keep getting jobs. 

Like Vance Joesph. 

Denver fired him as a head coach and bring him back as a DC, after very little success as a DC. 

Once your name is in the pot it's really hard to get out of the pot. Getting in is the hard bit. 

I don’t know how he keeps getting jobs. He hasn’t had a good defense is years. They should have done everything they could to keep the guy they had last year. He had the defense on the right track. 

11 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Greg Roman was the right guy for that job. Even if he had his issues, his system was perfect for Lamar. Not monkins air raid offense. 

Don’t you get it?  It was Roman’s fault Lamar isn’t Tom Brady 2.0 right now.

But seriously, he is what he is and that’s ok.  Damned good actually.  He’s just not gonna be a pocket passer. 

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES