College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

well in years past those rookies were surrounded by nothing but jags. this upcoming season, not so much. if they get a LB like parson or jok. this will be the most talented defense the browns have had since the return. add in the other rounds, will make it even more talented

I don’t mean the first rounder or even second rounders, I’m talking about the lower round picks that we seemed to count on way too often previously.

A first rounder should either start or be part of a rotation. 

14 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t mean the first rounder or even second rounders, I’m talking about the lower round picks that we seemed to count on way too often previously.

A first rounder should either start or be part of a rotation. 

Yep.

The days of having to start Ben Taylor as a rookie 4th rounder, Simon Fraser as a rookie UDFA, Mack Wilson as a Day 3 pick, etc. (not to mention dudes on offense like Kizer, McCoy, and Charlie Frye) should be over unless they're DUDES, as opposed to crossing our fingers and hoping.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'd actually be more prone to trade up in Rounds 2-3, as that's where I see a ton of value in the LB, WR, OL, and interior DL in this draft.

Even if they traded back and still got a premier pick like Rousseau, then used some other compensation to trade back up, and then they used about 5 picks between 33-70.

EXCELLENT POST

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 12:54 AM, NateDawg said:

Still think Werner is a gold day 2 pick. Will be a more impactful pro than he was in college. Plus athleticism, elite ability to cover for his position. Somebody is going to fall in love with Browning, and he is going to go higher and probably play a role in a defense as a pass rushing linebacker. But Pete is the better overall player by far. If they can get a big-time guy upfront on defense in the first and come back with Werner sometime later on, that would be a good haul. Positionally you would like to see a receiver sometime on the first two days also, looking ahead. 

But I thought Werner was too slow? 😆

On 4/15/2021 at 7:25 AM, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Berry will find a way to get everyone paid one way or another, that being said I’m not opposed to trading up for someone like Jaycee Horn,

Thats why I see Berry trying to get 2 first round picks somehow this year, so that he can have that 5th year to delay having to pay that next contract on a premium player. 

On 4/14/2021 at 8:26 PM, candyman93 said:

Should we trade up?

It’s going to be expensive paying all of our rookies.

I want either one of two things to happen, either trade up for their guy, or trade picks for future assets if their guy is not there.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Rosters can easily handle 8-9 rookies.  The problem is when you start relaying on half of those rookies to be day 1 starters like we have in the past.

This is the way. Doubt we trade up ever with the moneyball approach. Besides, after last season we should know that we're an injury or two away from having some gaping holes. 

2 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

This is the way. Doubt we trade up ever with the moneyball approach. Besides, after last season we should know that we're an injury or two away from having some gaping holes. 

I wouldn’t be surprised by a trade up at all under the right circumstances.

Like, I could easily see them moving a day 3 pick to jump up a few spots to grab someone they really like, but I doubt we’ll ever see a “sell the farm” type of move.

• Like 1

Alright...here's my prediction for what happens on draft day. Again, it's not who I love but who I think we'll take a shot on. I'm no good at trades but they probably happen somewhere. 

26. Jamin Davis, LB/ Greg Newsome, CB (if we trade up)

I'm all aboard the CB in round one tip but we'll have to trade up a little bit to grab Newsome. Davis is our safety guy who I'm positive lasts until 26 but won't make it to our second round pick. 

59. Joe Tryon, DE

He's kind of the jack of all trades, master of none player at DE. He's kind of the guy who we wished Nate Orchard would have been. I think being in a room with Clowney and Myles will do nothing but push him in both pass rushing and run defense. 

89. Alim McNeil, DT

Not super confident he'll be here, but he's got the size and background to float between our two DT spots. 

91. Quinn Meinerz, C

Here's where everybody gets mad. Tretter's on the backside of his career for sure and I think the FO saw just how much Nick Harris' size is going to keep him from being the dude. Meinerz can also serve as that rotational guy in between the tackles while Tretter's still aboard so Hubbard doesn't have to. 

110. Anthony Schwartz, WR

We're going to take a burner at some point. Schwartz is going to get reps all over the place, but playing against KC was enough to know that speed kills. 

132. Alaric Jackson, OT

We need a future swing tackle/high upside guy to warm the bench for when Hubbard gets kicked out. 

169. Richard LeCounte, S

If you're checking out our safety room we're missing the heat-seeking missile kind of guy. We've got coverage covered, but Sendejo and Joseph are ghosts of missed assignment's past. We need a guy who can lay the wood and also manage to not be a complete liability deep. I like Deablo a lot here as well but don't think he'll be available after his monster pro day. 

211. Dazz Newsome, PR/KR

This is the guy who's going to replace Jojo Natson. 

257. Evan McPherson, K

Cody Parkey's competition.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 11:48 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d be somewhat surprised at cap casualties this year as I think they’re really trying to just keep building the roster and are focused on continuity as much as possible.

DUDE!!!!

There is no way Horn is there for us. We would have to trade up. 

I'd be down too. 

Plus, Malik Jackson is still a pretty good football player. He can replace Sheldon this year and we need to look at one either this draft or next. 

My actual crushes are:

- Azeez O. 

- Jamin Davis 

- Horn

- Farley

- Rondale Moore

Side note: I have seen a lot of mocks by insider types that claim JOK will be there at 26. I feel like he won't be, but that would be nice if it happened. 

• Like 1