College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

49 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Released earlier this week.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-profiles-pffs-top-300-draft-prospects

At least historically our views and PFF’s tend to align reasonably well.  This might give an idea as to how our FO may view various prospects.

I'm going to be interested to see what our FO does if a guy like Barmore or Moehrig fall, with them being a DT and S respectively, given our depth charts and positions of "need" or them not being necessarily premier type positions. The analytics at those positions compared to value later is always something I've been fascinated with.

Rousseau at #37 is a bit of a surprise for me, as is Paye at #20something. I thought perhaps they'd be a bit higher.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm going to be interested to see what our FO does if a guy like Barmore or Moehrig fall, with them being a DT and S respectively, given our depth charts and positions of "need" or them not being necessarily premier type positions. The analytics at those positions compared to value later is always something I've been fascinated with.

those two definitely stood out as guys who could be rated highly on our board and who could definitely be there.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Rousseau at #37 is a bit of a surprise for me, as is Paye at #20something. I thought perhaps they'd be a bit higher.

I want to like him and love the production, but there are some red flags.

Most of his production was from over center.  Not that that is a bad thing, but that’s also not what teams are looking for in an edge player per se.  He’s not going to physically dominate NFL IOL like he did college guys.

The other issue is his explosiveness, or lack thereof. A 30 inch vert at that position is a big deal.

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

those two definitely stood out as guys who could be rated highly on our board and who could definitely be there.

Yeah, and I'm not a fan of the interior DL and/or S positions in general in this draft. So, if they're clearly head and shoulders better than everyone else, by all means that's fine. I don't personally see us going S with Delpit, Harrison, and Johnson, but we don't know how Johnson is from a health standpoint, and Harrison will be gone after this year.

Barmore I could potentially see if they're sold that he's legit. Taking a DT in the 1st round always makes me nervous, but if he's an anchor in the run stopping game and lives behind the LOS, forcing 3rd and longs against teams like Baltimore, which then helps us get off the field on 3rd down (PLEASE!!!!), then it'll be worth it.

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I want to like him and love the production, but there are some red flags.

Most of his production was from over center.  Not that that is a bad thing, but that’s also not what teams are looking for in an edge player per se.  He’s not going to physically dominate NFL IOL like he did college guys.

The other issue is his explosiveness, or lack thereof. A 30 inch vert at that position is a big deal.

Rousseau or Paye?

I'm intrigued to see if Rousseau tested that poorly due to putting on that weight this past year to try to "bulk up" and how that impact(ed) his testing with the opt out. I could see him being Carl Nassib junior or a guy like Terrell Suggs who tested poorly at the combine with elite production in college.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

What happened to him, he was a top 10-15 guy in every mock draft I read coming into the season. Then he fell off a cliff? 

3 guys that were top 15 picks coming into the season that busted

1) Rousseau

2) Wade

3) Moses

Tore his ACL in 2019 and didn’t look healthy this season

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, and I'm not a fan of the interior DL and/or S positions in general in this draft. So, if they're clearly head and shoulders better than everyone else, by all means that's fine. I don't personally see us going S with Delpit, Harrison, and Johnson, but we don't know how Johnson is from a health standpoint, and Harrison will be gone after this year.

Barmore I could potentially see if they're sold that he's legit. Taking a DT in the 1st round always makes me nervous, but if he's an anchor in the run stopping game and lives behind the LOS, forcing 3rd and longs against teams like Baltimore, which then helps us get off the field on 3rd down (PLEASE!!!!), then it'll be worth it.

Rousseau or Paye?

I'm intrigued to see if Rousseau tested that poorly due to putting on that weight this past year to try to "bulk up" and how that impact(ed) his testing with the opt out. I could see him being Carl Nassib junior or a guy like Terrell Suggs who tested poorly at the combine with elite production in college.

That vert was at 6’ 6.5” and 266 pounds.  He wasn’t even heavy..

Paye had a really nice pro day, with the exception of being 2 inches shorter than his listed height.

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That vert was at 6’ 6.5” and 266 pounds.  He wasn’t even heavy..

Right, but he's up 20 pounds from his weight last year allegedly.

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Paye had a really nice pro day, with the exception of being 2 inches shorter than his listed height.

He seems like an ideal fit for a 3-4, but he could have some value both on the EDGE and inside.

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Bengals fans want Chase over Sewell. Which blows my mind.

They want to “Andrew Luck” Joe Burrow.

They’ve already got a 23 yo 11th overall pick LT and it’s a pretty good draft for OL in general.

They could definitely pick up another couple OL day 2 and still be much improved there.

8 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Dude I know its crazy. Its one thing if Sewell was just a good LT but hes acutally insanely good. I dont get it....

I think the point from their perspective is Chase is a game breaker that teams need to game plan for.  Teams don’t game plan for a tackle.

If he does end up being a Julio Jones, Hopkins, prime OBJ type player I think you could pretty easily argue that’s worth drafting over a tackle.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think the point from their perspective is Chase is a game breaker that teams need to game plan for.  Teams don’t game plan for a tackle.

If he does end up being a Julio Jones, Hopkins, prime OBJ type player I think you could pretty easily argue that’s worth drafting over a tackle.

As long as they get at least a replacement level OL to protect their Franchise QB, I can see this logic. But until that happens, I'm going to be extremely skeptical.

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

As long as they get at least a replacement level OL to protect their Franchise QB, I can see this logic. But until that happens, I'm going to be extremely skeptical.

This is a pretty good OL class, they could definitely find a RT at the top of round 2 and an IOL R3.

There would be nothing wrong with taking Sewell either, but I don’t thinking looking for a game breaking offensive threat to pair with your young QB, especially one who played well with him in college, is a dumb idea.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is a pretty good OL class, they could definitely find a RT at the top of round 2 and an IOL R3.

There would be nothing wrong with taking Sewell either, but I don’t thinking looking for a game breaking offensive threat to pair with your young QB, especially one who played well with him in college, is a dumb idea.

Essentially, it will only be dumb if they don't hit on a replacement level and capable OL or 2 the rest of the way. Given Higgins and Boyd are already solid, this is IMO a luxury pick more than a need, but you can't ever go wrong in the Top 5 going BPA. 

That said, their Front 7 is also a dumpster fire. If I were them, I'd legitimately trade back and get the biggest haul I could, load up the trenches, and try to regroup as a legitimate division threat in 2022 and beyond.