College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

This is just my personal opinion, we need the following:

#2 CB - I don’t trust Greedy at all. That’s truly the only “need.”

#2 DE - This is if Clowney flops. I think he will ball out honestly. However, the front office places a huge value on pass rushers.

LB - I don’t think the front office values LBs at all. It would need to be somebody special.

DT - I think Sheldon Richardson gets brought back. If he is, then this isn’t a need. Maybe a pure NT.

Long term:

WR(s) - Jarvis and OBJ are expensive. We will NOT move on from them this year. Berry is very adamant about keeping OBJ.

RB - Nick Chubb might not be resigned.

IOL - Tretter and Joel are getting older.

Edited by candyman93

4 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Ward is great but injury prone.  Greedy has been off the field more than on it and has a chronic nerve issue.  Hill is a nice signing but is best served in the slot.

Our base D is nickel, and we want to play lots of dime as well.  Add it all up and CB is a need.

Most teams in the NFL can say their base is nickel with how the NFL is played now a days.  They do have John Johnson who is an awesome coverage safety and played CB in college at times so he could cover the slot if asked and if Delpit comes back into form along with Harrison being the other safety.  MJ Stewart has some ability and so does AJ Green I think.  But yeah CB could be a pickup just not sure 1st round is where it is at but yeah Ward and Greedy have had their injury issues.

It is a luxury pick really and they can take the BPA.  

Just now, candyman93 said:

This is just my personal opinion, we need the following:

#2 CB - I don’t trust Greedy at all. That’s truly the only “need.”

#2 DE - This is if Clowney flops. I think he will ball out honestly. However, the front office places a huge value on pass rushers.

LB - I don’t think the front office values LBs at all. It would need to be somebody special.

Long term:

WR(s) - Jarvis and OBJ are expensive. We will NOT move on from them this year. Berry is very adamant about keeping OBJ.

RB - Nick Chubb might not be resigned.

IOL - Tretter and Joel are getting older.

Yeah if Greedy has a lingering injury is hard to be trusted but has only been one season.  And at DE they also have Joe Jackson, Weaver, Gustin as other DEs but I guess could go DE still.  Still I would be more concerned with DT than DE honestly.

Either way they can do pretty much whatever, few if any teams in the NFL has such a talented roster.  Chiefs and the Bucs are both way up there, especially after that great move KC did to bring in Brown Jr.  And they are on another level because yeah the QBs are both way better than Baker.  Patriots have added a ton of guys but need a great draft to really take it up a notch, still again if the QB situation is not improved does not really matter much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Still I would be more concerned with DT than DE honestly.

The only reason why I disagree slightly: I’ve read we really want to move Clowney inside a lot to rush the passer.

People disagree with me, but I think we’re trying to build a Seattle scheme defensively. Do some “NASCAR” packages with the d-line.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

The only reason why I disagree slightly: I’ve read we really want to move Clowney inside a lot to rush the passer.

People disagree with me, but I think we’re trying to build a Seattle scheme defensively. Do some “NASCAR” packages with the d-line.

Really?  I have never heard that, I think Clowney could do it easily, dude is a beast and can really hold his own and not get pushed around.  Would be interesting, if so then DE for sure would still be on the table and arguably is a better value because one could get a Rousseau type possibly.  Clowney is a gamble and a reason he has moved around so much because of his injury issues and inability to consistently get after the passer.  Still if he is on his game with Garrett that would be hell to go up against regardless of where he plays on the DL.

Billings and Jackson I would not love as starting DTs so that is why I say DT possibly, but if Clowney is opposite one of them then DE becomes more an issue.  I would be surprised if Clowney is an all time DT for them though.

Seattle had KJ Wright and Bobby Wagner at LB so that is why it worked for them, along with bigger corners and amazing safeties.  Bennett and Avril on the DL and Bruce Irvin at times as well rushing.  They also had Kevin Williams as a backup later in his career.  Not sure the Browns could pull if off with the players they have but can be creative with Clowney and Garrett for sure.  

34 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

“Hey guys, I’m not sure what to think here.  What do you think?”

also...

“you have no idea what you’re talking about”

It’s like 90% of female significant others looking for affirmation and/or their opinion in a male voice.

• Like 2

With how the league is going, I still definitely wouldn’t rule out WRs too. However, it’d have to be a true #1.

Definitely do not need a slot guy. Bulk numbers don’t show it, but Rashard is Bakers go-to-guy. They have amazing chemistry and Rashard will probably be “the guy” when Jarvis is gone.

I see some of you want Barmore in the 1st, IMO he's really not worthy of a 1st Round pick. Still think there's a 30-40% chance he goes in the 1st, but would be pretty bad value. I think you'd be better off getting an EDGE opposite Myles. I have Rousseau to you guys at 26 in my final mock. Would be Jaelan Philips as he's better suited for your scheme, but I have the Bills trading up and nabbing him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I see some of you want Barmore in the 1st, IMO he's really not worthy of a 1st Round pick. Still think there's a 30-40% chance he goes in the 1st, but would be pretty bad value. I think you'd be better off getting an EDGE opposite Myles. I have Rousseau to you guys at 26 in my final mock. Would be Jaelan Philips as he's better suited for your scheme, but I have the Bills trading up and nabbing him. 

Thanks.

I look at picking Barmore at 26 as a waste of the pick.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Read somewhere that Berry said that they had reduced the number of players they are looking at to 168 (iirc) from 1,100.

Sounds like a prescription for not drafting 9 players, depending on how things play out.

yeah depends on how things play out but you gotta remember they eliminate guys from their list that other teams wont. They prolly didnt waste time on scouting the top QBs or the top tackles or top RBs

• Like 2

From what I've read, most teams have pretty short draft boards compared to mock draft analysts. Because you're looking for fits for your scheme, not every scheme, plus your doctors will rule out some people that others teams are fine with, then there are character concerns that some teams will be comfortable with and others won't.

The Patriots are famous for only having like 50-60 names on their draft board every year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FGK said:

From what I've read, most teams have pretty short draft boards compared to mock draft analysts. Because you're looking for fits for your scheme, not every scheme, plus your doctors will rule out some people that others teams are fine with, then there are character concerns that some teams will be comfortable with and others won't.

The Patriots are famous for only having like 50-60 names on their draft board every year.

Yeah we are down to 114 with a draftable grade and 58 priority undrafted free agents per Berry in his presser a couple days ago

• Like 2