College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

Then where do you play a first round DE? 

I say punt on a first rounder at CB and DE unless you have a clear plan to move on from Greedy and Clowney next year. You can only have so many staring spots. 

In today’s NFL, you can never have too many good DBs.

look at our situation last year, we were playing STers in a playoff game because of injuries. Having a group of Ward, Greedy, Hill, and an early draft pick wouldn’t be a detriment

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zelbell said:

Problem is we need to have the tags available for potentially Chubb or Teller as well

i would much rather prefer to tag one of them than Clowney

I will throw a crazy curveball at you. If Clowney has a monster year, we might keep him over Chubb and Wyatt based on positional importance.

However, like I said, he needs to have a monster year. I need 8+ sacks, consistent pressure, dominant in the run game, and at least 14 games out of him.

I think philosophically, you get more bang for your buck from 3 units: QB, O-line, and D-line. They get injured the least, have longer careers, and make a bigger impact.

41 minutes ago, zelbell said:

In today’s NFL, you can never have too many good DBs.

look at our situation last year, we were playing STers in a playoff game because of injuries. Having a group of Ward, Greedy, Hill, and an early draft pick wouldn’t be a detriment

Additionally, looking at that group what do we really have?

Denzel is great, but he misses games every year.

Greedy is a complete unknown with never damage.

Hill is pushing 30 and is a 2 year stop gap who is best as a NCB.

To act like we’re set here is laughable.

• Like 1

Ok who the hell is Cleveland going to take now, I had them originally go for a DE or DT 1st and 2nd round.  But now with Clowney no clue who they go for.  Honestly no position on the team seems to be a massive issue, they are solid all the way around.  DT still could be the play maybe or another CB or S maybe and then possibly another LB.  Still damn impressive roster all around and arguably one of the best if not the best in the NFL depending on how the draft shakes out.

They big time upgraded DE and safety with John Johnson who is an awesome player.  Not to mention getting Anthony Walker and still having Mack Wilson there also and Takitaki.  Oh and one of the best offensive lines in football.  

What WR could be an issue but only if OBJ is out.  Could maybe get Toney or Bateman 1st round if they want to get rid of OBJ.  

Still one of the best rosters in the NFL no question about it.  Only issue would be Mayfield's contract coming up, but who knows maybe they move on from him possibly but not sure Mond or Trask is the guy or as if they will be getting a high pick so paying all these guys could become an issue.  

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lol they’re not moving on from Mayfield.

They’ll take BPA, no way to guess who that is considering there are 25 teams ahead of them.

Fact is you put many starting QBs in the NFL on the Browns roster and they win.  They win because the roster is rock solid, not because Baker is this all world QB or something.  Sure not likely they move on from him this year but if they have to pay him a top 5 QB contract to keep him $33-$40 mil a year, might not be the best idea in the world considering he is not a top 5 QB in the league, really not even close to it.  

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Fact is you put many starting QBs in the NFL on the Browns roster and they win.  They win because the roster is rock solid, not because Baker is this all world QB or something.  Sure not likely they move on from him this year but if they have to pay him a top 5 QB contract to keep him $33-$40 mil a year, might not be the best idea in the world considering he is not a top 5 QB in the league, really not even close to it.  

How many Browns games have you watched over the last 3 seasons?  

How about since ‘99?  

I’m guessing not many.  If you had, and you watched this franchise struggle to find a competent QB since the late ‘80’s you know they’re not letting this one walk.

This isn’t Madden, it’s not as easy as just draft the next guy and they’ll certainly be good. 

We have had plenty of issues, but he’s not one of them. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Ok who the hell is Cleveland going to take now, I had them originally go for a DE or DT 1st and 2nd round.  But now with Clowney no clue who they go for.  Honestly no position on the team seems to be a massive issue, they are solid all the way around.  DT still could be the play maybe or another CB or S maybe and then possibly another LB.  Still damn impressive roster all around and arguably one of the best if not the best in the NFL depending on how the draft shakes out.

They big time upgraded DE and safety with John Johnson who is an awesome player.  Not to mention getting Anthony Walker and still having Mack Wilson there also and Takitaki.  Oh and one of the best offensive lines in football.  

What WR could be an issue but only if OBJ is out.  Could maybe get Toney or Bateman 1st round if they want to get rid of OBJ.  

Still one of the best rosters in the NFL no question about it.  Only issue would be Mayfield's contract coming up, but who knows maybe they move on from him possibly but not sure Mond or Trask is the guy or as if they will be getting a high pick so paying all these guys could become an issue.  

You're right - no massive issues or holes in the roster.  If you want guesses, here's mine.

Likely positions for our 1st rounder, in order:  CB, DE, WR, DT, LB, S.

31 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Baker is a top-5 QB by the end of this season.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

How many Browns games have you watched over the last 3 seasons?  

How about since ‘99?  

I’m guessing not many.  If you had, and you watched this franchise struggle to find a competent QB since the late ‘80’s you know they’re not letting this one walk.

This isn’t Madden, it’s not as easy as just draft the next guy and they’ll certainly be good. 

We have had plenty of issues, but he’s not one of them. 

What are the Cleveland Browns, they play soccer right?  No clue who they are and have never seen the play, wow you are so incorrect.  Go pay Baker $35-$40 mil a year then after the 2022 season and lose a lot of the talent that is currently there. It will be an issue going down the road, but yeah drafting his replacement is probably not the answer this year but cannot see them saying yeah you are a top 5 QB in the NFL, here is top 5 QB money when a ton of QBs in the league would win on a roster like this. 

Call him the reason for the teams success, he has a part in it but take away that OL, those backs, TEs and receivers he would not be nearly as successful.  Put Sam Darnold on the Browns last year and Baker on the Jets, Browns would still win and Jets would have still lost.  

6 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

You're right - no massive issues or holes in the roster.  If you want guesses, here's mine.

Likely positions for our 1st rounder, in order:  CB, DE, WR, DT, LB, S.

CB?  True I guess but they dislike Greedy that much?  Troy Hill was a nice signing as well, he is a solid player and Ward can stay healthy that will help but I could see them wanting another CB no doubt and the value makes sense.  I would still go DT 1st round ideally but who knows if Barmore falls to them or not.  Levi is an option as well at DT.

Just now, NudeTayne said:

Baker is a top-5 QB by the end of this season.

Behind that offensive line, and with those backs, tight ends and receivers.  Sure could have success on the field of a top 5 QB.  Does not mean he is anything even close to Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Josh Allen, Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.  But will see how he does, they should have tons of success and win a ton of games potentially, but also will have expectations they rarely have as well.  

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

CB?  True I guess but they dislike Greedy that much?  Troy Hill was a nice signing as well, he is a solid player and Ward can stay healthy that will help but I could see them wanting another CB no doubt and the value makes sense.  I would still go DT 1st round ideally but who knows if Barmore falls to them or not.  Levi is an option as well at DT.

Ward is great but injury prone.  Greedy has been off the field more than on it and has a chronic nerve issue.  Hill is a nice signing but is best served in the slot.

Our base D is nickel, and we want to play lots of dime as well.  Add it all up and CB is a need.

• Like 1