College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Unless they can rush the passer that’s a misuse of assets imo.

2 down run stuffers have value, but not that much.  That kid from GA looks nice, but I doubt we get a shot at him.

Yup. I wouldn't mind a DT in round one, but they'd have to be a well-rounded player who can both stop the run and rush the passer. Otherwise, you can find a run-stuffing DT later in the draft or through free agency.

Depending on what happens in FA, I've gotta imagine we go WR or LB in round one.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's pretty clear (whether Baker is here or not) that we need a complete overhaul of our WR corps, minus DPJ. Hooper is going to be here next year no matter what due to his cap hit, and Njoku is likely gone. So, give me Hooper/Bryant as our tandem, and we need a slot guy after Juice gets cut, and another wide out on the outside, maybe 2 after Hollywood goes away. MAYBE Schwartz can be that deep threat guy year 2 (albeit I'm skeptical).

A day 2 “complete” wide receiver and a starting caliber FA imo.  DJ Chark?  

Aside from that, we really NEED another interior DT, a true Mike linebacker (I know, I've said this for a decade plus now),

We really need Phillips or Togiai or Elliot to show something. We can’t continually miss on 3rd and 4th rounders this badly.

and potentially another impact linebacker or Safety. Harrison has been absolute garbage, so maybe Delpit and JJ3 can be that tandem, and hopefully LeCounte figures out how to be a pro going forward.

We need a real FS.  Delpit I think could be fine as a 3rd S and JJIII clearly needs more time in the box.

We need a guy who actually knows how to play deep.

Pending Clowney/Takk, EDGE and EDGE depth is another need opposite Myles.

I think Clowney and Takk need to be retained for sure, and they still need another end with some juice off the edge. Just a DPR really.

A swing OT as that third guy and maybe a swing interior OG/C combo would also be a nice luxury, albeit maybe that kid from UC can be that guy.

Yeah I think Hudson looks better as an interior guy.  I’d like to see a better tackle option though.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Yup. I wouldn't mind a DT in round one, but they'd have to be a well-rounded player who can both stop the run and rush the passer. Otherwise, you can find a run-stuffing DT later in the draft or through free agency.

Depending on what happens in FA, I've gotta imagine we go WR or LB in round one.

I still think it’s gonna be a DE.

*IF* we retain Woods, we really need to be able to generate pressure with 4 guys. That’s really the beginning and end of his scheme.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

A day 2 “complete” wide receiver and a starting caliber FA imo.  DJ Chark?  

It depends upon free agency, cap space, fit, and BPA wherever we pick R1 and who else is available. If some dynamic WR is staring you in the face, then you draft him like Dallas did with Lamb last year. If he's a guy who has a comparable counterpart in R2 available and another valuable position is there, you draft that guy. 

We really need Phillips or Togiai or Elliot to show something. We can’t continually miss on 3rd and 4th rounders this badly.

Togiai was at least given opportunities yesterday and showed a flash or two. Phillips IMO has been a major disappointment thus far.

We need a real FS.  Delpit I think could be fine as a 3rd S and JJIII clearly needs more time in the box. We need a guy who actually knows how to play deep.

I don't disagree with this.

I think Clowney and Takk need to be retained for sure, and they still need another end with some juice off the edge. Just a DPR really.

I'm intrigued to see how this plays itself out and what the market is/our ability to re-sign them is. Someone is going to be the odd man out, and it might be Denzel Ward unfortunately. 

Yeah I think Hudson looks better as an interior guy.  I’d like to see a better tackle option though.

If you're going to give Conklin that deal (I'm great with it), then you need a dependable 3rd guy since Conklin is very injury prone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

*IF* we retain Woods, we really need to be able to generate pressure with 4 guys. That’s really the beginning and end of his scheme.

If we lose Clowney, DE definitely becomes the biggest need. And even if he's retained, I totally agree that we still need another one.

And I'm just assuming that we're firing Woods because I won't be able to handle going into next season with him still around lol

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, not to be a jerk, but we have 3 of the best pass rushing DE (pass rush win rate) in the NFL (and the best DE in the NFL at that), and clearly we cannot rely solely on winning with 4 down linemen.

Woods has shown capable in some areas, and absolutely laid egg after egg in others.

A nice middle ground would suffice.

Another EDGE guy and assuming that's going to fix things is at best a lateral move. Best case scenario.

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Unless they can rush the passer that’s a misuse of assets imo.

2 down run stuffers have value, but not that much.  That kid from GA looks nice, but I doubt we get a shot at him.

Who’s the other run stuffer? It’s not Malik McDowell.

14 minutes ago, DawgX said:

If we lose Clowney, DE definitely becomes the biggest need. And even if he's retained, I totally agree that we still need another one.

And I'm just assuming that we're firing Woods because I won't be able to handle going into next season with him still around lol

I’m just saying I think this FO is going to value continuity a bit more than the fanbase.

Unless we can get a proven stud DC, I’d be surprised if he’s fired tbh.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We need somebody who can stop the run inside. We get straight bullied if Clowney doesn’t blow a play up.

Sure, one run stopping DT, agreed.

But also, another linebacker wouldn’t hurt. Every year we watch the defense get destroyed by the run and every year in the winter we hear about how devalued off ball linebackers are and we don’t invest in a good one and wash, rinse, repeat.

At DT???  We literally took a 2 down NT in the first round.

Linebackers. Haven't made an effort in almost 30 years.

Plus, tbh, look at teams like NE who consistently take DT in the 1st and 2nd Round. Vince Wilfork, Malcolm Brown, Dominique Easley, Richard Seymour, Christian Barmore, not to mention their linebackers (Mayo, Collins, Hightower). Take a look at Baltimore and Pittsburgh too. Truly shocking stuff right there.

If you mean linebackers, they sure, I’m with you there.

Yep

"Why can't we stop the run" asks team who hasn't drafted a linebacker higher than D'Qwell Jackson in 27 years.

It's like a headline from The Onion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Linebackers. Haven't made an effort in almost 30 years.

Plus, tbh, look at teams like NE who consistently take DT in the 1st and 2nd Round. Vince Wilfork, Malcolm Brown, Dominique Easley, Richard Seymour, Christian Barmore, not to mention their linebackers (Mayo, Collins, Hightower). Take a look at Baltimore and Pittsburgh too. Truly shocking stuff right there.

With some of that I’ll say it helps when you’re not spending a first rounder on a QB every 2-4 years.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Yep

"Why can't we stop the run" asks team who hasn't drafted a linebacker higher than D'Qwell Jackson in 27 years.

It's like a headline from The Onion

It’s especially frustrating because not only are we not investing in them, we’re not developing them either. And I guess how could we when we change schemes and coordinators every season or two…

For all the guys you named I think guys like Gildon, Porter, Kirkland, Adalius Thomas, Bart Scott, Judon, etc. are just as important.  You’ve gotta be able to develop some notable contributors.