College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

We can’t expect to win if we need a high draft pick or expensive FA at every position.

We don’t need to find stars, although one every now and the would be nice, but simply capable players. Guys who can man their position competently and win.

We need guys like Brett Keisel.  12 years I’m the league, one pro bowl, while investing a 7th rounder.

24 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We can’t expect to win if we need a high draft pick or expensive FA at every position.

We don’t need to find stars, although one every now and the would be nice, but simply capable players. Guys who can man their position competently and win.

We need guys like Brett Keisel.  12 years I’m the league, one pro bowl, while investing a 7th rounder.

You’re right, but given your example the Steelers has superstars around Keisel.

Who are the stars on defense? Obviously Myles and I can understand potentially Denzel.

Also, I am 100% willing to accept an answer of guys needing better coaching.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Who are the stars on defense? Obviously Myles and I can understand potentially Denzel.

JJ3 was brought in to be that guy and JOK has the potential to be that guy. Newsome MIGHT be that guy.

A superstar EDGE, a superstar safety (in theory), and a superstar corner (Ward) to go with a capable 3 Tech in McDowell, a rock solid EDGE guy in Clowney/Takk, a good Apex player in JOK should be enough to be able to get it done, especially when you have a good solid Corner opposite Ward in Newsome.

We definitely need a true FS, a true Mike backer, and a capable 1 Tech, but that shouldn't warrant us laying complete eggs multiple times a year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

You’re right, but given your example the Steelers has superstars around Keisel.

Also, I am 100% willing to accept an answer of guys needing better coaching.

Myles, Clowney and Denzel are all top 4 draft picks with at least a Pro Bowl under their belts.

JJIII was one of the highest rated safeties in the league last season.  Troy Hill one of the highest rated slot corners.

On top of that we have McDowell, Takk, Greedy, Newsome, Delpit, and JOK are all still young and former top 50 picks who’ve all at least flashed at times.

We’re trotting out more than enough physical talent to be competitive right now.

• Like 2

And for the record, while I absolutely love Stefanski, he needs to figure out some things with the WR positions and relying more on timing and chemistry routes between his QB and WR, as opposed to relying as much as he does on the play-action game. I love his scheme and philosophy, but being able to go "that next dimension" should be a focal point in the off-season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We definitely need a true FS, a true Mike backer, and a capable 1 Tech, but that shouldn't warrant us laying complete eggs multiple times a year.

imo the number I look at where things are pretty unacceptable for a defense is 31.  That’s 4 touchdowns and a FG.  You really shouldn’t allow more than that all that often.  That’s more than a score per quarter, every quarter ffs.

Since Woods has been here (28 total games) we’ve allowed more than 31 points 11 times (39% of the time) and 45 or more (which is absolutely unacceptable by literally anyone’s standard) 3 times.  That’s over 10% of the games he’s coached.  

That’s simply far too often.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

And for the record, while I absolutely love Stefanski, he needs to figure out some things with the WR positions and relying more on timing and chemistry routes between his QB and WR, as opposed to relying as much as he does on the play-action game. I love his scheme and philosophy, but being able to go "that next dimension" should be a focal point in the off-season.

I realize other coaches do it, but I really don’t see how any one guy can do two jobs to the same level as two other people can do those same jobs. I get some people are more capable than others, but theoretically these are supposed to be the best coaches in the world here.

I’d love to see Stefanski be more of a HC and less of an OC.  Not to say he shouldn’t contribute to the offense and game plan, but maybe learn to delegate more and take more of a big picture role. Maybe that helps with consistency, idk…

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I realize other coaches do it, but I really don’t see how any one guy can do two jobs to the same level as two other people can do those same jobs. I get some people are more capable than others, but theoretically these are supposed to be the best coaches in the world here.

I’d love to see Stefanski be more of a HC and less of an OC.  Not to say he shouldn’t contribute to the offense and game plan, but maybe learn to delegate more and take more of a big picture role. Maybe that helps with consistency, idk…

IMO, he should stick to calling plays, but hire a passing game coordinator who preferably works with Baker and the WR/TE. You have the QB coach who works with Baker, the WR coach who works with the receivers, and the same with the running backs, but you have "come together time" regularly to get timing, chemistry, route combinations, etc. down.

You have it built and predicated off of the scheme and even incorporate the play-action component, but having that "passing game coordinator" who could be a separate guy or even one of those other position coaches.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO, he should stick to calling plays, but hire a passing game coordinator who preferably works with Baker and the WR/TE. You have the QB coach who works with Baker, the WR coach who works with the receivers, and the same with the running backs, but you have "come together time" regularly to get timing, chemistry, route combinations, etc. down.

You have it built and predicated off of the scheme and even incorporate the play-action component, but having that "passing game coordinator" who could be a separate guy or even one of those other position coaches.

I’ll be honest, the play calling has been fine, but he’s not great when the run game isn’t working right away.

When he got the job it wasn’t because of his history as a coordinator or offensive innovation, it was because they thought he was well suited to the roles of a HC.

I like having his input and helping with the game plan, but he should be involved in the defensive meetings, and ST meetings too. I’m not saying he isn’t per se, but I’m not sure how he can be doing all of that in an effective manner.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Excellent post more than a little bit worried about Van pelt plus the wr coaches ability to develop young talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Damn, I didn’t even think about this until now.

What if the front office feels anxious about Baker and drafts 1-2 WRs with high picks to determine if he’s the guy?

Will just lay pipe for Mayfield's replacement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, candyman93 said:

What if the front office feels anxious about Baker and drafts 1-2 WRs with high picks to determine if he’s the guy?

If they are good players then they will be put to good use no matter who the quarterback is. We can use more good players at almost any position so I wouldn’t overthink it. 

Besides, shame on us if we don’t feel anxious and give him some weapons to find out that answer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Then the next guy will inherit a stacked offensive roster

• Like 1