College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

40 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s gonna be exciting to watch everyone flip their **** when we don’t draft a 350 pound DT and a 265 pound 2 down MLB on day 2.

Only way that happens is if Woods is fired and we have a scheme change.

We will draft pass rushers and guys who can defend the pass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

Only way that happens is if Woods is fired and we have a scheme change.

We will draft pass rushers and guys who can defend the pass.

I think even if we fire Woods whoever we hire will run a scheme similar to his. 

The philosophy of win with your pass rush, cover well and make teams run it down your throat to win is sound, provided you’re capable of getting a stop on the ground.  

I personally think people would be surprised how much different the defense could look just by trusting out corners more and bringing more pressure up the middle, running some stunts, getting creative, etc.

21 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I could 100% see us taking Zach Harrison in round 3. He’s identical to Alex Wright and he doesn’t turn 22 until August.

I've loved to hate on him for 4 years, so undoubtedly we will draft him. He's at least finally had a good senior year and the tools are there. I don't think he's ever going to be a great pass rusher, but he's at least capable.

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

We’re in agreement they could benefit from it, but I just don’t see it actually happening.  

I would be fine if they waited until day 3 tbh, but just bring in a couple of dudes who can help you win on run downs, even if they’re worthless against the pass.

If they want to stick to their beliefs of pass defense takes precedence to run defense, go get a legit centerfielder to play FS and let Delpit and JJIII play in the box.

20 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think even if we fire Woods whoever we hire will run a scheme similar to his. 

The philosophy of win with your pass rush, cover well and make teams run it down your throat to win is sound, provided you’re capable of getting a stop on the ground.  

I personally think people would be surprised how much different the defense could look just by trusting out corners more and bringing more pressure up the middle, running some stunts, getting creative, etc.

People shouldn't be surprised. We've seen the past two seasons how well our defense can play when Woods comes up with a halfway competent game plan. Problem is, the vast majority of his game plans suck.

We definitely have personnel issues on defense, but there's more than enough talent on that side of the ball for us to at least be decent on a week-to-week basis. Yeah, we could definitely use a DT or two, another LB, a true FS. But plenty of teams have holes somewhere on defense and can still field a good one. Joe Woods is far and away the biggest problem when it comes to our defense.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I've loved to hate on him for 4 years, so undoubtedly we will draft him. He's at least finally had a good senior year and the tools are there. I don't think he's ever going to be a great pass rusher, but he's at least capable.

Guys like him scare the piss out of me.  He’s never seen a consistent double team and often been on a line with multiple NFL dudes and never put up numbers.

I know people will point to the frame and athleticism, but he’s always had those.  R3 or later and he might be worth the risk I suppose.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DawgX said:

People shouldn't be surprised. We've seen the past two seasons how well our defense can play when Woods comes up with a halfway competent game plan. Problem is, the vast majority of his game plans suck.

Yep.

If the talent was the primary issue they wouldn’t have games where they dominate good offenses.

And run defense is by and large all scheme.  It’s hard to run on a team when they KNOW you’re gonna run it.

50 minutes ago, DawgX said:

We definitely have personnel issues on defense, but there's more than enough talent on that side of the ball for us to at least be decent on a week-to-week basis. Yeah, we could definitely use a DT or two, another LB, a true FS. But plenty of teams have holes somewhere on defense and can still field a good one. Joe Woods is far and away the biggest problem when it comes to our defense.

Yeah it’s not as if good teams have first round picks or stud FAs at every position. Every team has mid to late rounder or even UDFA starting.  You scheme around those players and try to accentuate the studs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I like him because of his athleticism and frame obviously, but he gives effort every play too. He’s not a stereotypical lazy underachiever.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So like, what’s the issue?

Good motor, elite size, assumably good athleticism…. 💩 production  

No idea

It’s why I don’t understand how JT Tuimoloau only has 6 career sacks in 2 years. There’s something going on with OSU’s coaching.