College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not drafting a 2 down, run stuffing DT in the first round ever.  It’s 1994 and those dudes can be had day 2-3.

Correct. But there are some NT's like Vea and Ngata that don't ever have to come off the field. Those guys are worth top selections. But the amount of dudes that fit that bill are hilariously small. Purely big fat space eaters? Yeah no. But if they can move a little, they're worth it...especially if it lines up with where you're insufficient.

That said, you're not going to see big time nose tackle prospects hardly ever anymore. Teams don't value those guys and they're especially useless in college, where teams can tempo those interiors into heart attacks.

3 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Correct. But there are some NT's like Vea and Ngata that don't ever have to come off the field. Those guys are worth top selections. But the amount of dudes that fit that bill are hilariously small. Purely big fat space eaters? Yeah no. But if they can move a little, they're worth it...especially if it lines up with where you're insufficient.

That said, you're not going to see big time nose tackle prospects hardly ever anymore. Teams don't value those guys and they're especially useless in college, where teams can tempo those interiors into heart attacks.

Yeah I’m not talking about those freaks.  Those guys are what they are and you take them if you can.  They transform defenses.  

A guy with Danny’s movement skills is a day 3 pick imo.

31 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Shelton or Farmer?

I thought Shelton did fairly well considering what he was asked to do. It wasn't a good pick in the top half of R1, for sure. But he wasn't atrocious as a 3-4 nose man. I just wouldn't have placed such high value on that kind of player unless it's Vea...which he was not.

And if we would have drafted Danny Shelton in Round 3 or later, I'd absolutely have loved the pick. He has ZERO place in today's league as a 3 down player. He's a perfect 2 down 0 or 1 tech that has zero value rushing the passer or warrants being taken Top 15 overall.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

And if we would have drafted Danny Shelton in Round 3 or later, I'd absolutely have loved the pick. He has ZERO place in today's league as a 3 down player. He's a perfect 2 down 0 or 1 tech that has zero value rushing the passer or warrants being taken Top 15 overall.

Even later he’s not my cup of tea.

https://ras.football/2019/12/27/danny-shelton-ras/

He’s just about as slow and stationary as a pro football player can be.  I get he doesn’t need to run 60 yards sprints well to do what a NT is asked to do, but I’m not betting on a woefully inferior athlete looking as good or better at the next level. Dude simply couldn’t move or change direction well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Even later he’s not my cup of tea.

https://ras.football/2019/12/27/danny-shelton-ras/

He’s just about as slow and stationary as a pro football player can be.  I get he doesn’t need to run 60 yards sprints well to do what a NT is asked to do, but I’m not betting on a woefully inferior athlete looking as good or better at the next level. Dude simply couldn’t move or change direction well.

I'll preface it by saying that on THIS roster, I'd take him in the third or so because he is a piece that fits a glaring hole. On a team that is absolutely horrendous like the Browns were at the time, he shouldn't even warrant consideration until after the 4th.

26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll preface it by saying that on THIS roster, I'd take him in the third or so because he is a piece that fits a glaring hole. On a team that is absolutely horrendous like the Browns were at the time, he shouldn't even warrant consideration until after the 4th.

Find some fat guy on the street and pay him league minimum.

Probably a better athlete anyway.

15 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Dang @Dawgpoun8017 

Cuse is undefeated setting up a showdown with undefeated Clemson next weekend. 

Biggest game in school history?

We also have a few decent prospects for the draft

RB- Sean Tucker

LB- Mikel Jones

CB/S- Garrett Williams 

as well as a couple decent O- line development prospects