MVP Watch FINAL RANKINGS (Version 17.0)

BayRaider

16 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

If you had not said anything, I would have said player #2 does not belong. The interceptions and QBR difference are significant. It's only a 3 INT game by Mahomes that let Rodgers back in the conversation. As it is, I suspect Rodgers needs a statement game this week against Tennessee in Nashville. 

J

I could get nit picky and discredit a couple of the INTs of Josh Allens from dropped passes by WR's and a terrible call in the Rams game but it is what it is. I've watched every throw and I'd say 5 or 6 INTs were actually on Allen but I get people will just look at box scores. 

Just now, The BILLievers said:

I could get nit picky and discredit a couple of the INTs of Josh Allens from dropped passes by WR's and a terrible call in the Rams game but it is what it is. I've watched every throw and I'd say 5 or 6 INTs were actually on Allen but I get people will just look at box scores. 

It's not nit-picky at this level of discussion.

One of Mahomes INTs was a highlight reel one-hander by Xavien Howard. It still counts. 

J

2 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

It's not nit-picky at this level of discussion.

One of Mahomes INTs was a highlight reel one-hander by Xavien Howard. It still counts. 

J

I agree, I'd say a talented play by the defense is more skill then a dropped pass that falls into a defenders hands but I agree that it all matters. I don't think Josh Allen will win MVP but he's really not that far off. If he has 3-4 less INTs he'd be right in the thick of it. Sucks for Bills fans because it's an MVP type season in a season when Rodgers and Mahomes are killing it.

He's the 1st player ever to pass for 4,000+ yards, 30+ passing TDs, and 8+ rushing TDs in a season; with 2 games left. 

With the Chiefs having a virtual lock on the #1 seed, one wonders how much the team will be willing to risk Mahomes' valuable body. One suspects something akin to preseason games. That said, he should get at least a full half worth of snaps against Atlanta. We will see about week #17. 

J

30 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

With the Chiefs having a virtual lock on the #1 seed, one wonders how much the team will be willing to risk Mahomes' valuable body. One suspects something akin to preseason games. That said, he should get at least a full half worth of snaps against Atlanta. We will see about week #17. 

J

A virtual lock is not a lock and Mahomes will play every snap in a non-blow-out-game until the Chiefs have it actually locked.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

J

Why only a full half of snaps against Atlanta? He will definitely play the entire Atlanta game. You guys have still not clinched the #1 seed, which @Jakuvious can also chime in on. 

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

A virtual lock is not a lock and Mahomes will play every snap in a non-blow-out-game until the Chiefs have it actually locked.

For a playoff spot or the division title, I would agree. This is just for seeding. They will treat it as unimportant.

J

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

For a playoff spot or the division title, I would agree. This is just for seeding. They will treat it as unimportant.

J

No they won’t... you’re making this stuff up on the fly. Chiefs and Mahomes will give their full 100% effort, as they haven’t clinched the #1 seed. Sounds like you are trying to make an excuse in case he has an average or bad game. 

59 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

J

Chiefs aren’t leaving anything up to chance

Chiefs starters will play 60 minutes against ATL on Sunday (assuming no blowout)

Winning the #1 seed is literally the same as winning a Wild card game. It’s that valuable. Win the #1 Seed and you are 2 games away from the Superbowl. Get the #2 seed and you’re 3 games away

Chiefs Falcons is essentially a playoff game for KC

Edited by Nightime
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Nightime said:

Chiefs aren’t leaving anything up to chance

Chiefs starters will play 60 minutes against ATL on Sunday (assuming no blowout)

Winning the #1 seed is literally the same as winning a Wild card game. It’s that valuable. Win the #1 Seed and you are 2 games away from the Superbowl. Get the #2 seed and you’re 3 games away

Chiefs Falcons is essentially a playoff game for KC

They will play to win. That does not mean they will not treat it was a must win. 

49 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

...it's for a first round bye

Historically, teams don't play for a bye any more than for any win. If it is going to be like a preseason game, it will be like the next to last one when the coach wants a win, but not like anything unusual was on the line. Expect more focus on getting Travis Kelce the TE receiving record (he needs 59 yards).

50 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

No they won’t... you’re making this stuff up on the fly. Chiefs and Mahomes will give their full 100% effort, as they haven’t clinched the #1 seed. Sounds like you are trying to make an excuse in case he has an average or bad game. 

They will play win. However, the playing time may be skewed to get less seasoned players some game time and walking-wounded some time off. OL may be an exception, since they need reps together.

J

They will play to win. That does not mean they will not treat it was a must win. 

a distinction without a difference.

Historically, teams don't play for a bye any more than for any win.

please link your source for computing how hard teams try to win for byes vs all other games

Just now, incognito_man said:

a distinction without a difference.

please link your source for computing how hard teams try to win for byes vs all other games

Not true. With something like a playoff berth on the line, teams will push harder than usual. In this case, the players will play to win, but expect some unusual mixes of players.

You are the one asserting extra effort is expected. Give us support for your opinion. 

J