Tank for Trevor?

rf54

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Michael Vick, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Alex Smith, Vince Young, JaMarcus Russell, Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Mitchell Trubisly, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, and Kyler Murray

Every top 5 QB taken this century. Look at all those names, all of those “franchise” quarterbacks who were going to change the fortunes of their franchises. 

Only 4 of the 25 got their team to a Super Bowl. Only 1 of the 25 won a Super Bowl. 8 never, or have yet, played in a playoff game. 

But, sure, tanking is a good idea. 

ok, you're right, lets do whatever we can and somehow pull of 5 wins!  yeah!  the Vikings can draft 10th and take some guard that has just as much of a chance to be a bust as Trevor. In fact, The entire draft is a crap shoot so "F" it,  lets pick another CB.  The only player you listed that has the same hype as Trevor Lawrence was Andrew Luck, his career was shortened due to injury.  He was nowhere near a bust.

11 hours ago, rf54 said:

Thank you!!!  You actually read the posts and understand what I was saying.  They don't have to tell anyone to play poor, they just have some holes in the roster that make it hard to win games.  I have seen this coming since March and we lost all 3 starting CBs.  The margin in the NFL is so thin it does not take much to put your team at a real disadvantage.

Being a poor team with holes in it =/= tanking. 

How this is such a hard concept to grasp, I will never understand. Tanking is an INTENTIONAL act. Selling off vets for draft picks or just outright cutting them, keeping players out with scrapes and bruises when they’re capable of playing in the games, firing a coach early in the season, etc...

All things that ruin the culture of a team, and all but ensure that the GM, who would have to sign off on all these moves, would lose their job and not “reap the benefits” of said tanking. 

Edited by RpMc

42 minutes ago, RpMc said:

How this is such a hard concept to grasp, I will never understand. Tanking is an INTENTIONAL act. Selling off vets for draft picks or just outright cutting them, keeping players out with scrapes and bruises when they’re capable of playing in the games, firing a coach early in the season, etc...

All things that ruin the culture of a team, and all but ensure that the GM, who would have to sign off on all these moves, would lose their job and not “reap the benefits” of said tanking. 

Kind of agree but the coach and GM are not being fired.

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

thank you.

as i've said here for years, words matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rf54 said:

Kind of agree but the coach and GM are not being fired.

If this team bottoms out. They’ll be gone. 

There were expectations for this team this season. They made it clear with many of their moves that they felt this was a competitive, winning team and that they could retool the roster on the fly. If they fail, then a rebuilding will have to take place. And it won’t be with the current GM or coaches. 

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If this team bottoms out. They’ll be gone. 

There were expectations for this team this season. They made it clear with many of their moves that they felt this was a competitive, winning team and that they could retool the roster on the fly. If they fail, then a rebuilding will have to take place. And it won’t be with the current GM or coaches. 

They both were just signed to 3 year extensions, they are not getting fired.  This team was never going far this year, They have no returning starting CBs, they made no moves at guard, they lost their top run defending DT and lost his replacement with opt-out.  Now they are dealing with Barr out for the year, Hunter coming back slowly from IR, no real offseason program, etc.  If they go 0 - 5 to start the season what is the incentive to win games?  

Now I have said many times here, YES!  the players are trying to win, but are they handicapped?  Boyd and Fields can play their hearts out but do you expect them to play like probowl CBs?  If the game is anywhere close in the 4th Qtr, do you see this defense able to stop even an average offense?  

If they are tanking, the GM and the Head Coach have the owners approval and they are safe for next year.

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Brad Childress is gone, one season after he famously picked up Brett Favre at the airport, got a contract extension and came within a field goal of reaching the Super Bowl.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5838652

———

The Wilfs have spent near half a billion in guaranteed money for players on this team; contract extensions for Spielman and Zimmer mean nothing if they aren’t happy with the product on the field. See exhibit A above. 

38 minutes ago, RpMc said:

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Brad Childress is gone, one season after he famously picked up Brett Favre at the airport, got a contract extension and came within a field goal of reaching the Super Bowl.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5838652

———

The Wilfs have spent near half a billion in guaranteed money for players on this team; contract extensions for Spielman and Zimmer mean nothing if they aren’t happy with the product on the field. See exhibit A above. 

eh.... Childress was removed and the GM stayed in place.

None of the moves made this offseason would suggest that this team was looking to rebuild in 2020, or that “tanking” would be acceptable. Quite the opposite, actually. 

There were multiple reports that the Wilfs were ready to clean house at the end of the season, but the win against the Saints kept that from happening. Extensions were given out under the pretense that the leadership of this team (Spielman/Zimmer) could retool and keep this team competitive. 

So far, this team has been anything but competitive. And if the rest of this season continues on as the first two weeks have, then there will be no faith in the team’s leadership moving forward. 

If this team finds itself with a bottom 5 record, there are going to be a lot of changes. 

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

eh.... Childress was removed and the GM stayed in place.

There was no GM during the Childress regime. He had control of the final 53. In essence, he was the head coach and general manager (like Bill O’Brien). 

The damned parabola of confusion days with Spielman as the VP of Player Personnel.

He’s since hitched his wagon to Cousins and Zimmer, and IF (despite my posts, I still think it’s a big if) Zimmer is cut loose, it’s very likely Spielman will be too. 

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

He’s since hitched his wagon to Cousins and Zimmer, and IF (despite my posts, I still think it’s a big if) Zimmer is cut loose, it’s very likely Spielman will be too. 

If the only option were to get rid of one, I’d lose Zimmer long before I’d lose Spielman. 

Overall, I think Spielman has done a solid job as GM. Sure, he has his areas of weakness, and he’s made some mistakes, but all GMs do. I think the majority of issues that a lot of people have with Spielman are more the responsibility of Zimmer. 

• Like 1