Tank for Trevor?

rf54

4 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Every fan base that's begun the season 0-2 wants to tank for Trevor. Enough about Trevor. I want us to play better this year.

I love this franchise but feel like this is a season we need to have. We need a leader on this team. Could be a quiet leader like Teddy or a loud excited leader like Patrick Mahomes. Kirk will never be that guy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whitehops said:

while i would prefer the vikings turn the ship around and make the playoffs this year, it would be the perfect year to inadvertently tank given there is a legit franchise QB prospect and our recent youth wave. 

i know cousins had a no-trade clause in his original contract but does he still have one with the extension he signed? 

I don't think so.  I think I heard somewhere that the new contract did away with the no-trade clause.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Pretend the Texans are in the same situation at QB the Vikings are in with Cousins.  Yeah give me Watson and an 0-2 record all day long.  Sure they got to figure some things out but still they got Watson so it will be just fine I am sure.  Same with the Eagles as well and even the Lions, at least one of the games they played extremely well in and should have won.  

Pretend the Lions played "extremely well" even though they have barely ever played moderately well? I can't pretend that they "should have won" that game against the Bears. The Bears should have won that game and did because the Lions choked just like they did opening game in AZ the year before and at home against the Jets the year before that. You choke because you aren't good at football.

The Lions are a team that's REALLY ready to fire the GM & Head Coach along with shipping Stafford out of town. Stafford has had a long erratic career and I couldn't figure out why they didn't draft Tua to groom him when they had the chance. Just pretend if the Vikings were that bad last year and Cousins was injured for over half the year, and then the Vikings decided to pass on Tua.

The Eagles, meanwhile, didn't pass on Hurts. Yeah the Eagles, who you also mentioned, who aren't too pleased with Wentz right now.

Neither Wentz nor Stafford has won a post-season game.

Cousins did...and he won the game on the road with his throws in OT.

Now people -- just months removed -- pretend that didn't happen? 

Pretend away.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TENINCH said:

I love this franchise but feel like this is a season we need to have. We need a leader on this team. Could be a quiet leader like Teddy or a loud excited leader like Patrick Mahomes. Kirk will never be that guy.

Why this season in particular? We've got so many young players and players injured. 

I don't know what to tell you. Kirk is the QB now -- and next year barring a complete collapse. The money dictates that. After his playoff victory last year why can't you just get behind him for a season or 2? It won't kill you to put a little faith in the guy for a little time considering what he did to the Saints in New Orleans last winter. It's not like he signed a 6 year contract. We'll be able to see in 2 years whether or not he's Kirk from last January or Kirk from this September.

4 hours ago, babababa said:

Pretend the Lions played "extremely well" even though they have barely ever played moderately well? I can't pretend that they "should have won" that game against the Bears. The Bears should have won that game and did because the Lions choked just like they did opening game in AZ the year before and at home against the Jets the year before that. You choke because you aren't good at football.

The Lions are a team that's REALLY ready to fire the GM & Head Coach along with shipping Stafford out of town. Stafford has had a long erratic career and I couldn't figure out why they didn't draft Tua to groom him when they had the chance. Just pretend if the Vikings were that bad last year and Cousins was injured for over half the year, and then the Vikings decided to pass on Tua.

The Eagles, meanwhile, didn't pass on Hurts. Yeah the Eagles, who you also mentioned, who aren't too pleased with Wentz right now.

Neither Wentz nor Stafford has won a post-season game.

Cousins did...and he won the game on the road with his throws in OT.

Now people -- just months removed -- pretend that didn't happen? 

Pretend away.

I would take Stafford or Wentz all day over Kirk Cousins now and long term.  Think the Vikings would not do that?  Especially for Wentz who is bigger, younger, more athletic and is a better teammate and leader.  I could care less what has happened in the past, as if Kirk Cousins is this proven leader and winner... which he is not and has not proven much at all honestly outside of getting a bunch of passing yards.... where in the NFL of today most QBs worth a damn can do that.  What is happening right now is the Vikings are an awful team and Cousins provides little to no leadership or motivation from what I have seen.  He won a playoff game, where is that great leadership now from him outside of sitting on the bench looking at a tablet?    Oddly enough Diggs clearly was a massive part in the passing game success the past few years and without that deep threat they are nothing to be afraid with Kirk Cousins throwing the ball.

The Lions have a better offensive line long term than the Vikings, Vaitai has long term potential and Jackson is promising at OG and if not Crosby could be a decent OG or OT, and Ragnow I would take over Bradbury, when healthy he can play.  They have a deep overall DB group especially at CB, Okudah and Trufant are better than any CB on the Vikings roster and Coleman is damn good too and Oruwariye has potential as well.  They have a deeper RB core than the Vikings arguably with the addition of Peterson, they have a deeper WR core as well, those top three are all day better than the Vikings top three WRs. They seem to at least have a plan and are building positively towards the future, not sure one can say that about the Vikings right now, maybe that will all change in the next few weeks but doubt it.

The Vikes and Lions are in a completely different stages of roster building. The Vikes talent wise peaked maybe a year ago. They are in between rebuilding and clinging to what talent they have left from the original Zimmer/Spielman buildup.

The salary cap caught up with the Vikes and difficult decisions needed to be made. The Lions are still rebuilding, though I don’t think there’s a ton of hope that what they are doing will actually be successful. 

At the end of the day, both teams are probably pretty equal in terms of talent.  

• Like 2

We are seeing why Washington fans were so frustrated with Cousins...we are sounding like them also!!  Hindsight is 2020.  There were some of us who didn't want Cousins, but Spielman and Co. thought he could improve the team.  We have not seen that come to fruition and this season seems to be a bottoming out of the consequence for signing, extending, and starting Kirk Cousins.  I think the question for the front office now is, how do they keep the bottoming out from being a 3 to 5 year situation?

46 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think the question for the front office now is, how do they keep the bottoming out from being a 3 to 5 year situation?

I think there is too much core talent for it to last that long. 

The struggles so far this season, especially on offense, really do appear to be a coaching issue. There was a decent article written this week about how Kubiak appears to be more of an issue through two weeks than Cousins, and I couldn’t help but agree with it. While losing Diggs hurt, he’s not the difference between a top 10 offense, and an offensive collapse. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

The salary cap caught up with the Vikes and difficult decisions needed to be made. The Lions are still rebuilding, though I don’t think there’s a ton of hope that what they are doing will actually be successful. 

Yeah, the team couldn't pay everyone and had to let a lot of players go. I remember when I complained about the size of a contract and some were suggesting that the cap wasn't a real limitation. I argued that numbers could be moved around over the short-term but in the long run it it a hard cap. I think some were expecting magic.

14 hours ago, whitehops said:

while i would prefer the vikings turn the ship around and make the playoffs this year, it would be the perfect year to inadvertently tank given there is a legit franchise QB prospect and our recent youth wave. 

There's a debate to be had there.  

Remember when Teddy was a “can’t miss, sure fire #1 overall pick?” Remember when Joe Burrow was a mid to late round QB and then became the #1 overall pick? Remember when a global pandemic decimated the college football season? 

There are no guarantees. This year will be worse. 

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I'm not sure that I follow. Are you saying that as a prospect, he shouldn't be considered to have franchise QB potential?

There are multiple debates that could be had...I personally think any of the top 3 could be considered "legit" franchise QBs.  But it also depends upon what @whitehops meant by his use of the term "legit"...because I don't believe Lawrence is a guaranteed franchise QB the likes of the Luck, as has often been the comparison.  I personally think he's overrated in that comparison.  He might be good, but he also might be inconsistent.  I actually think I like Fields and Lance's potentials better.