WCF: (1) Los Angeles Lakers vs. (3) Denver Nuggets

CWood21

9 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

yeah, this lakers team is weird. they either look dominant or just straight up uninterested. 

I mean the way this team is built they need one of AD and Bron to be special. Period. I can't imagine they were uninterested in being great. Just didn't happen for them tonight. Bron was getting by Jokic and that was about it. AD was taking tough contested midrange jumpers with Paul Millsap on him. I'd expect them to play better next game. 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

I mean the way this team is built they need one of AD and Bron to be special. Period.

Wont disagree necessarily, but will counter that all they need is for LBJ & AD to be themselves - when those around them decide to show up. If they're on their own (like last night) LBJ & AD need "plus efforts/results" - which didnt happen.

The LAL supporting cast individually and collectively shot like **** - giving the offense a whole not of nothing.  They were throwing the ball all over the place making unforced turnovers leading to DEN points - and *still* the lead was whittled down from 20 to 3 points late - at which point, they proceeded to CONTINUE shooting bricks as 3pt shot attempts - bypassing better / higher % shots that might bring "and 1" with it. Not a formula for success - which is what happened. 

DENs a good team. They're in the Finals. It was a desperation game for them and they responded. The LALs responded with an uneven, lazy effort and lost.

Edited by Leader

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Wont disagree necessarily, but will counter that all they need is for LBJ & AD to be themselves - when those around them decide to show up. If they're on their own (like last night) LBJ & AD need "plus efforts/results" - which didnt happen.

The LAL supporting cast individually and collectively shot like **** - giving the offense a whole not of nothing.  They were throwing the ball all over the place making unforced turnovers leading to DEN points - and *still* the lead was whittled down from 20 to 3 points late - at which point, they proceeded to CONTINUE shooting bricks as 3pt shot attempts - bypassing better / higher % shots that might bring "and 1" with it. Not a formula for success - which is what happened. 

DENs a good team. They're in the Finals. It was a desperation game for them and they responded. The LALs responded with an uneven, lazy effort and lost.

Denver defense was too much for the role guys last night. Can they keep that effort and intensity up throughout? We'll see. But I am very happy with what I have seen the last two games. I expect a statement game from LeBron Thursday, tho. 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

I mean the way this team is built they need one of AD and Bron to be special. Period. I can't imagine they were uninterested in being great. Just didn't happen for them tonight. Bron was getting by Jokic and that was about it. AD was taking tough contested midrange jumpers with Paul Millsap on him. I'd expect them to play better next game. 

Honestly, I don't agree with the point that the Lakers look disinterested or dominant. They looked disinterested to start the game last night, but overall their energy level has been great in the playoffs. They have played the hardest game in and game out from any team in the bubble.

The Nuggets have just figured some things out. They are loading up hard on LeBron and AD and are more than happy to let the role players take outside shots. Offensively, Denver is running a lot more pick and rolls/pop with Murray and Jokic and forcing the Lakers hand. They don't want to blitz or trap Murray and then you don't want to double Jokic but when he ends up getting a small on him, it forces the Lakers defense to scramble. 

LeBron finally started getting Jokic to switch out and started taking advantage of that. I'd like to see Jokic to sink lower and give LeBron some room. If he hits his outside shots, then so be it. 

Now, the Lakers had the Nuggets in shambles when they went into the zone. Jokic was just too passive and needed to be more aggressive when he had Rondo/KCP/etc on him. Interested in seeing how Malone adjusts to that for game 4. 

I expect both teams to play with high intensity next game and for the game to come down to the wire again. I think this time around LeBron will do enough close the show. 

4 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Denver has played lights out the last two games and came away 1-1. They are gonna need to find another level to beat the lakers but If they can win game 4, it’s gonna be really interesting. The lakers haven’t faced much adversity this post season 

I don't think they played lights out in game 2. 

But they are a good team should be able to compete with the Lakers. They won't just lay down and quit like the Rockets did late in the series. Much more of a complete team that has shooters and players that can do multiple things all over their roster. 

If the Lakers go back to their zone in game 4, I would like to see more Morris/Murray minutes. Murray was making terrible decisions and they let the Lakers get super physical which led to a lot of turnovers, but having Morris will help with this. 

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly, I don't agree with the point that the Lakers look disinterested or dominant. They looked disinterested to start the game last night, but overall their energy level has been great in the playoffs. They have played the hardest game in and game out from any team in the bubble.

The Nuggets have just figured some things out. They are loading up hard on LeBron and AD and are more than happy to let the role players take outside shots. Offensively, Denver is running a lot more pick and rolls/pop with Murray and Jokic and forcing the Lakers hand. They don't want to blitz or trap Murray and then you don't want to double Jokic but when he ends up getting a small on him, it forces the Lakers defense to scramble. 

LeBron finally started getting Jokic to switch out and started taking advantage of that. I'd like to see Jokic to sink lower and give LeBron some room. If he hits his outside shots, then so be it. 

Now, the Lakers had the Nuggets in shambles when they went into the zone. Jokic was just too passive and needed to be more aggressive when he had Rondo/KCP/etc on him. Interested in seeing how Malone adjusts to that for game 4. 

I expect both teams to play with high intensity next game and for the game to come down to the wire again. I think this time around LeBron will do enough close the show. 

I agree with everything you said. Obviously hopeful that the Nuggets can pull out game 4, tho. I think the Lakers effort thing is a bit lazy, but to be expected. Nuggets got the same disrespect against the Clips. They game out of the gates pretty well in the game, IMO. It was pretty high pace to start. 

Zone will never concern me with Jokic. That was a nice call by Frank and well executed by Rondo etc, but I don't think that will be sustainable against Jokic. I still can't believe how quick that turnaround 

I don't think the Nuggets have played lights out yet. They finally had a role guy step up. Monte hit a couple threes. That's all they need. Jokic was good but not his best. The Nuggets did play lights out defense last night 

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

That's not exclusive to just the Lakers.  Last night, Murray and Jokic were a combined 19-31 for 40 points, 18 rebounds, and 9 assists.  If either of them have a poor night, the Lakers probably win that game.

4 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I agree with everything you said. Obviously hopeful that the Nuggets can pull out game 4, tho. I think the Lakers effort thing is a bit lazy, but to be expected. Nuggets got the same disrespect against the Clips. They game out of the gates pretty well in the game, IMO. It was pretty high pace to start. 

Zone will never concern me with Jokic. That was a nice call by Frank and well executed by Rondo etc, but I don't think that will be sustainable against Jokic. I still can't believe how quick that turnaround 

I don't think the Nuggets have played lights out yet. They finally had a role guy step up. Monte hit a couple threes. That's all they need. Jokic was good but not his best. The Nuggets did play lights out defense last night 

Zone won't be a problem if Jokic gets more aggressive. I mean he's going to generate good looks for his team, but if he's not looking to score, than the Nuggets become easier to stop. 

The Nuggets really took advantage of Rondo's minutes until the 4th quarter. Loading up and leaving him and Caruso open worked well for them. Most possessions they aren't even respecting him and leaving him WIDE open and he was just standing there and not cutting to the hoop as he should have. 

Nuggets may not have played lights out last night, but the role players were great. I don't think you can expect to play lights out against this Lakers team. I mean how many games did the Rockets or Blazers play lights out against them? The offense was as good as it was going to be against this defense aside from one terrible stretch. 

Nuggets had Milsap and Grant just get back on defense instead of going for some offensive rebounds...And yet the Nuggets still got their fair share of boards and the Lakers let the shooter get at least three or four offensive rebounds which was embarrassing. 

Kuzma hasn't been good in this series but KCP is playing pretty damn well. If he had hit that shot to tie the game yesterday......Lol. 

9 minutes ago, champ11 said:

They got 40 points out of Jerami Grant and Monte Morris last night.  I'd bet a TON of money that doesn't happen again in the playoffs.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They got 40 points out of Jerami Grant and Monte Morris last night.  I'd bet a TON of money that doesn't happen again in the playoffs.

Jerami's point total was an outlier for sure. He shot 12 free throws (both he and Gary made an adjustment to attack more - Gary's adjustment didn't go as well). But 4 threes made out of Grant in Morris is repeatable. And that's what they need. Millsap is due for some shots to go down - he was brutal offensively. He had 4-5 layups on passes from Jokic (credit to AD as a rim protector of course) but some of those need to be finishes/fouls drawn. 

You can play the "what if" game with basketball teams any night. I think the Nuggets moved the ball well and they need their players to finish great looks. Last night Monte and Grant did that. I truthfully don't see much of an outlier performance there. Grant is a good shooter that has shot poor in the playoffs and is a guy that can attack closeouts. Great night for him. 

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's not exclusive to just the Lakers.  Last night, Murray and Jokic were a combined 19-31 for 40 points, 18 rebounds, and 9 assists.  If either of them have a poor night, the Lakers probably win that game.

True! Very much wish the Nuggets had Will Barton. 

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Zone won't be a problem if Jokic gets more aggressive. I mean he's going to generate good looks for his team, but if he's not looking to score, than the Nuggets become easier to stop. 

The Nuggets really took advantage of Rondo's minutes until the 4th quarter. Loading up and leaving him and Caruso open worked well for them. Most possessions they aren't even respecting him and leaving him WIDE open and he was just standing there and not cutting to the hoop as he should have. 

Nuggets may not have played lights out last night, but the role players were great. I don't think you can expect to play lights out against this Lakers team. I mean how many games did the Rockets or Blazers play lights out against them? The offense was as good as it was going to be against this defense aside from one terrible stretch. 

Nuggets had Milsap and Grant just get back on defense instead of going for some offensive rebounds...And yet the Nuggets still got their fair share of boards and the Lakers let the shooter get at least three or four offensive rebounds which was embarrassing. 

Kuzma hasn't been good in this series but KCP is playing pretty damn well. If he had hit that shot to tie the game yesterday......Lol. 

Crowding AD and Bron can be effective. They will get their's but you live with kickouts to guys on the Lakers. Nuggets guys closed out incredibly well last night. Kuzma and those guys are going to force bad decisions on great closeouts. 

19 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Crowding AD and Bron can be effective. They will get their's but you live with kickouts to guys on the Lakers. Nuggets guys closed out incredibly well last night. Kuzma and those guys are going to force bad decisions on great closeouts. 

Kuzma was pump faking the air on that one play LOL. But the Nuggets need to continue doing what they are doing defensively and if the others get hot and beat them, then so be it. LeBron is not getting many clean looks at the rim...He did in the 4th quarter but that was about it. The fact that he doesn't operate on the block or elbow area is so baffling. Damn near gets a good look every single time and his little fade away from there is money. He makes the game harder for himself than it needs be.