Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

14 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Different perspective from the Pats’ weak schedule; here are their opponents’ stats vs their stats against the NE defense - 

PPG vs NE: 3.9

PPG vs field: 17.6

Yards/Play vs NE: 4.0

Yards/Play vs field: 5.03

TD-INT vs NE: 1-18

TD-INT vs field: 37-28

YPA vs NE: 5.0

YPA vs field: 6.7

Passer rating vs NE: 35.6 (if you spike the ball on every down, you get a 39 rating)

Passer rating vs field: 85.1

They have an elite defense. I don't think that anyone would dispute that at this point. I think that the strength of schedule, which has indeed been a joke, only comes into play when you are comparing the Patriots to other elite defenses or comparing them to historically good defense. For instances, I think that it is WAY too soon to compare them to the legendary Bears, Steelers, or Ravens defenses. The sample size is not there...and definitely, you have to consider that they have played many of the worst offenses in the last few decades. Even great defenses have hiccups every now in then against competent offenses, and the Patriots have just not faced many offenses that are even mediocre at this point.

4 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I'll let it slide. Landry doesn't strike me as the type of guy who guarantees victories. He earns everything. He probably did just have slip of the tongue. Not that it really matters.

It matters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

They have an elite defense. I don't think that anyone would dispute that at this point. I think that the strength of schedule, which has indeed been a joke, only comes into play when you are comparing the Patriots to other elite defenses or comparing them to historically good defense. For instances, I think that it is WAY too soon to compare them to the legendary Bears, Steelers, or Ravens defenses. The sample size is not there...and definitely, you have to consider that they have played many of the worst offenses in the last few decades. Even great defenses have hiccups every now in then against competent offenses, and the Patriots have just not faced many offenses that are even mediocre at this point.

Those legendary defenses faced  A TON of terrible offenses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Those legendary defenses faced  A TON of terrible offenses.

True, but I'd be very surprised if any of those defenses have faced a stretch of opponents as bad as the Patriots have faced. This is an incredibly WEIRD season. Lots of REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad teams, a handful of really underperforming teams that were good last season...and somehow the Patriots got every one of those teams on their schedule the first seven weeks of the season. It will get a little bit more challenging...but boy, the Patriots are going to sleep-walk into the #1 seed. I have never in my life seen a Super Bowl winner get an easier schedule the next season. It's pretty astounding actually. Not that it matters a ton because the Patriots are an elite team either way, and probably would have been the #1 seed regardless. I think that we need a larger sample size against more capable offenses, but looking ahead...I'm not even sure we are going to get a decent sample size. It's crazy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

It matters.

I highly doubt that the Patriots need any extra motivation here. I'm also doubtful that "bulletin board material" even matters in football. So now the Patriots are going to try EXTRA hard to win the game? Winning games is about execution and emotion often messes with execution. The Patriots are going to be ready this week and it will have nothing do to with what Landry accidentally said.

• Like 1

Just now, sammymvpknight said:

I highly doubt that the Patriots need any extra motivation here. I'm also doubtful that "bulletin board material" even matters in football. So now the Patriots are going to try EXTRA hard to win the game? Winning games is about execution and emotion often messes with execution. The Patriots are going to be ready this week and it will have nothing do to with what Landry accidentally said.

I think they are motivated and focused but it's impossible for that to happen every game in every season. Last year for example the Patriots were not focused in a bunch of games and made a lot of mental mistakes. This led to quiet a bunch of horrible losses on the road. This year it looks different but I don't mind some extra motivation to be sure that it stays that way.

• Like 2

Patriots opponents have been garbage. Nothing they’ve done should be legendary. It’ll be like a offense putting up 50+ on 6 straight garbage teams. Context is major. And the pats have faced some awful teams that will be picking super late in the draft. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Patriots opponents have been garbage. Nothing they’ve done should be legendary. It’ll be like a offense putting up 50+ on 6 straight garbage teams. Context is major. And the pats have faced some awful teams that will be picking super late in the draft. 

Do you not think the stats sort of balance it out a bit? I mean 18 INTs to 1 TD allowed?! At what point do you just say, 'no matter who that's against, that's impressive'. The D, net, is giving up less than a point per game. This is still NFL opposition we're talking about. Less than 1 point per game...(as it currently stands). Poor opposition: yes, still incredible stats: also yes.

44 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

And if it was so easy then we'd be seeing a lot more streaks like that...

10 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Do you not think the stats sort of balance it out a bit? I mean 18 INTs to 1 TD allowed?! At what point do you just say, 'no matter who that's against, that's impressive'. The D, net, is giving up less than a point per game. This is still NFL opposition we're talking about. Less than 1 point per game...(as it currently stands). Poor opposition: yes, still incredible stats: also yes.

Not really. But you do you boo boo. 

44 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

I agree. Remains to be seen if they do it when the QBs they face are not Luke Falk or Jared Goff.