Brandon Scherff hurt again, helped off field

naptownskinsfan

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I will say that it is somewhat of a positive that the coaches left him at Tackle instead of just moving him to Guard though.  He must have shown some promise there because we certainly needed help at Guard.

True.  Plus it might actually add to his learning curve.  If he can start practicing properly we might be able to consider him by midseason, but as far as I can tell he still isn't even full go.

I would be signing Penn right now even if we were going to roll with Christian.  Injuries happen.  We should be prepared.  

3 minutes ago, offbyone said:

True.  Plus it might actually add to his learning curve.  If he can start practicing properly we might be able to consider him by midseason, but as far as I can tell he still isn't even full go.

I would be signing Penn right now even if we were going to roll with Christian.  Injuries happen.  We should be prepared.  

If Christian gets hurt you put Charles in.  Don't see the point in Penn.  

14 hours ago, offbyone said:

We should be thinking about signing someone even if only to be an insurance policy.  There is strong likelihood the oline sustains more injuries throughout the season.  I think all we have is Lucas and Ismael.  We need more depth.  

We have 3 "guys" on the P S. A tackle, guard and center . last I looked anyway .

On 9/22/2020 at 1:21 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

The only way worse from here for this franchise is if Bruce Allen buys the team and Deangelo Hall is president with Haynesworth as GM.

Be wary of speaking such things aloud lest you speak them into existence ...

On 9/23/2020 at 12:28 PM, MKnight82 said:

If Christian gets hurt you put Charles in.  Don't see the point in Penn.  

If Charles cannot get onto the practice field much less the active game day roster due to injuries (or at least one continuous injury ... that never seems to heal ... why does this sound so familiar?), then they need to have someone to put in, right? Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of going the Penn route but at this point they don't really have much choice.

@offbyone, @e16bball - you both made some great points. I concede. However, at the same time, they should be scrambling for some other solution, no? Because Christian is failing across the board. Maybe things get better as they approach the quarter-season pole in two weeks time ("pre-season's end" if you will). However, if the left side of the line is still collapsing like wet toilet paper, what will the coaching staff be able to learn of the rest of the players? And yes, Martin is a big problem as well.

As I said earlier/elsewhere, they basically need to go into this offseason assuming that they need to fill at least three of five starting offensive line positions (left tackle, left guard, and right guard (I'm assuming Scherff walks away unless they're willing to pay $18M on a second franchise tag)). Center might become the fourth as Roullier as a free agent after the season. Starting to consider future plans to replace Morgan Moses might not be the worst idea either (he's signed through 2022 so they can maybe slow roll this one).