Brandon Scherff hurt again, helped off field

naptownskinsfan

6 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I wonder if they might switch Martin to RG ( He started for Scherff last year right ? ) and Sweitzer to LG. He started 13 games at left in 2018 .

Depends on how many reps Martin has had at RG during camp.  This is a new blocking system, so if he hasn't had much time at RG, it's not a switch to make right now. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 9:58 PM, e16bball said:

There is that other way of adding talent that they could explore too. 

Hard to get much actual talent that way, though, when you treat the modern FA market like a toddler treats the cold waves at the beach.

Well, yes, but I was kind of expecting the "big splash" to be a receiver (wideout or tight end), so I wasn't expecting much from free agency on the offensive line front.

On 9/20/2020 at 11:38 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

They need to be drafting at least 2 offensive linemen every year.  Sometimes throw in a third for good measure. 

Yes, but I think in this case they have to be investing using a lot of their high picks. Saying "we got two linemen" when using a 3rd and a 6th isn't going to cut given the performance to date.

23 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

From Riggos Rag.

Charles should be seeing the field next week. So things will get better. (Cause they sure cant get any worse)

@PARROTHEAD - you've been a fan of this franchise for how long now? You should know by now that the bolded is most definitively untrue. When Washington strikes the bottom, they bring in the drills to go deeper.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

But you need to somewhat hit on them. Looking back on ALL of our o-line picks the last decade (and we've had a decent amount), we really haven't HIT on too many. 

Trent Williams - hit (1st)

Maurice Hurt - nope (7th)

Tom Compton - has had a long backup career, but not with us. Journeyman. (6th)

Morgan Moses - hit (3rd)

Josh LeReibus - 3rd. SUCKED.

Spencer Long - mixed (3rd) still in the NFL but not with us. Got overpaid. 

Brandon Scherff - more good than bad (1st), but always hurt and might be overrated.

Austin Reiter - 7th - plays for KC, but I don't think he's amazing or anything? Either way not with us.

Chase Roullier - starts and sucks (6th)

Geron Christian - starts and sucks (3rd)

Wes Martin (4th) - starts and sucks

Ross Piersbacher - (5th) sucks. PS.

Bolded are high value picks like I was saying they should be aggressively using. 2 outright hits, 2 mixed-to-solid results, 2 misses. That ain't bad. Problem is they haven't done that enough. So, yes, they need to hit on them, but they also need to have drafted more than 12 linemen in ten years.

Again, this upcoming year they should really be thinking on spending at least three of the four top 100 picks they have on the offensive line. Or at least considering it heavily. Yes, that might mean passing on talent at other needed positions (LB, TE, and S being the other glaring needs), but this team cannot go anywhere if the QB has to get the ball out of his hand in less than 2.5 seconds because he fears for his life.

8 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Maybe they put Charles at RG. It wouldn’t be the first time we moved a tackle to guard I think his best fit is tackle but I think he will do just fine at guard

They need to see if Charles can play LT first. Because Christian just cannot.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Woz said:

@PARROTHEAD - you've been a fan of this franchise for how long now? You should know by now that the bolded is most definitively untrue. When Washington strikes the bottom, they bring in the drills to go deeper.

The only way worse from here for this franchise is if Bruce Allen buys the team and Deangelo Hall is president with Haynesworth as GM.

Charles is outta LSU. So you Mr Woz. Just gotta have....

I hear how we don't apply more picks to the offensive line. Problem is, we usually only have three picks in the first three rounds. If we always apply one of those picks to the offensive line then other areas get hurt. I have listed the offensive line players we have drafted from the first three rounds below. It has been a mixed bag of 2 hits, 2 mixed and 2 sucks:

Trent Williams - hit (1st)

Morgan Moses - hit (3rd)

Josh LeReibus - 3rd. SUCKED.

Spencer Long - mixed (3rd) still in the NFL but not with us. Got overpaid. 

Brandon Scherff - more good than bad (1st), but always hurt and might be overrated.

Geron Christian - starts and sucks (3rd)

During this whole time we drafted RG3 which costs us 2 other 1st rounds and 1 2nd round pick. We have also drafted another QB 2 drafts ago plus other defensive line players sorely needed. We do about 50% on players in the first three rounds whom are at least counted as mixed to great players. If you really track free agency across the board, only 5% of players who change teams are as good or better then they were with their former teams. This is because those players did well with their fellow players whom allowed them to shine but when they go to a different team they don't have the same players around them. Free agency has rarely helped a team to truly get better unless they already had most of the other positions staffed by good or great players. I don't believe we will find any good players for the offensive line in next year's free agency because if they are good enough, their teams will resign them or they are asking way to much money so their team lets them go.

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

We probably need to sign a veteran lineman, at least to the PS. Glenn? Kline? Watford?

Oh come on. You know that’s not happening. We’ll sign some guy who was on the practice squad in Carolina three years ago and hasn’t played a down of football since. 

On 9/21/2020 at 9:36 PM, Woz said:

They need to see if Charles can play LT first. Because Christian just cannot.

I think the idea of going with charles at this point is foolish.  It isn't good for the team or the player.  Charles was a super high potential project pick who basically missed an already abbreviated training camp.  He isn't ready.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I think the idea of going with charles at this point is foolish.  It isn't good for the team or the player.  Charles was a super high potential project pick who basically missed an already abbreviated training camp.  He isn't ready.

This is correct. Been saying this since the draft, when people started speculating about Charles as the starting LT. Truth is, OTs drafted outside the first round or two very rarely play LT as rookies — and they almost never do it well. It was always a long-shot that Charles would be ready to play a decent LT at this level this season, even before he got hurt. Now it’s even more farfetched. 

They put themselves in this position, where they’re basically forced to stick with Christian. They wanted to daydream about Christian or Charles seizing the job, and to sit there waxing moronic about how they were looking forward to all the evaluating they were going to do and how one of those guys was going to step up and lock down the job. And now here we are. With a complete mess at the one position we’d actually managed to be good at for the better part of the last two decades. 

There were experienced players out there that they could have signed after the draft. We’ve played against two of them already, and neither of them made a fool of himself against even our great DL. Certainly could have given Haskins a little more comfort in the pocket than Christian has.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, offbyone said:

I will say that it is somewhat of a positive that the coaches left him at Tackle instead of just moving him to Guard though.  He must have shown some promise there because we certainly needed help at Guard.